Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Commuting – is there a fine line or not?
  • TooTall
    Free Member

Daily commuting now – and it is great (apart from the bike creaking, but we'll deal with that another time).

I'm trying to find out whether there is a fine line between 'miserable b'stard, head down, no eye contact' and 'hello there sweet cheeks – fancy some?'. It seems that you either say nowt / don't acknowledge or appear a sex pest by saying hello. I think that wearing lycra shorts makes me feel a bit pervy anyway – I might get used to that.

What is it, fellow commuters? Is there a nirvana of friendly nods on the cycle paths?

redx

Generally I try and either nod or say hello (or thanks if people have moved over to let me past). Normally don't get much in response, apart from a couple of cyclists and dog walkers I see regularly….

A lot of the time I get evil stares from dog walkers, despite ringing my bell and saying thank-you if they control their dog and move to let me past. I commute along the Taff Trail in Cardiff and get pretty fed up with people who can't be bothered to control their dog, people who complain I don't have a bell despite the fact they've got earphones in and can't hear the bell I've been ringing at them, and runners who run two abreast and refuse to move over……

Sorry, mini-rant over. In answer to your question, I try and nod or say hello, but never really expect much in return……

BoardinBob

I used to hold the mistaken belief that there was some kind of shared camaraderie amongst groups of people with a similar "interest" but the problem is not everyone is actually interested. They may see cycling as a means to an end rather than a hobby or passion.

I used to drive a particular marque of sports car and there was an expectation that you would give a wave to other drivers from the marque. Unfortunately not everyone shared that interest in the marque so waves were meant with blank stares

soobalias
    Free Member

i smile, nod or say good morning to any of the following.

people at bus stops
    old dears pottering in front gardens
    dog walkers
    cyclists

but just to redress the balance i shout at and/or threaten to kill at least five drivers who cut me up, misjudge my speed etc. I ensure that at least three of the drivers are milfs in chelsea tractors during term time, so i can wink at them to end my tirade.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I smile and nod at no-one, never felt the need, never within "contact" with someone for long enough to do more than raise my eyebrows. When on the road bike (converted MTB) I'm generally going flat out, be it commuting or for fun, and not in any fit state to say hello or pass the time of day. I dont expect others to. Same on the MTB, if the opportunity arrises (slowly trudging past someone) then maybe, but otherwise I dont consider it a problem (I honestly just dont consider it) if they totally blank me. Some people are overly sensitive.

BoardinBob – good to see you again the other day, you looked remarkably well considering the length of ride you'd done!

s
    Free Member

smile and nod, for 90% of riders I see, some of the regulars though, like to chat/race, take the piss 😉

The funny ones are people on new bikes with a addiction to Hi-Vis who you see all happy/waving/smiling one morning, only to never be seen again?

TooTall
    Free Member

I will, however, reserve the right to be grumpy when some little runt drafts me for a couple of miles along a cycle path without getting in front for a bit. Grrr.

ourmaninthenorth

I used to be head down, all out. But I'd arrive at work a sweaty, stressed mess. So I took to chilling out while still making progress.

Since most people I see on bikes I'm going past, I may or may not say hello, but that entirely depends on my whim at the time.

The only person I regularly say hello to is the crazy West Indian man who shouts encouragement at me (and presumably every other cyclist) as I go by. He brightens my day.

poppa
    Free Member

TooTall – For me, there is a whole spectrum of human interaction between 'cold-shoulder' and 'sex-pest'. What is it exactly that makes you feel like a pest?!? If someone thinks that of you just because you say hello then either A) They need to chill the F out, or B) You need to take your hand out your trousers whilst talking to them.

Pigface
    Free Member

I used to come home home at the same time as the local school kicked out. One of the paths I used was full of Grange Hill wannabes smoking snogging or being a pain and deliberately getting in the way. In the end I did an exta 20 mins in work to avoid the little darlings. It helped the Flexi. Fishermen on the canal were the most miserable. Never saw another commuter.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Commuting is all about chillaxing and having a chat for me. Unless I'm knackered or concentrating in traffic I'll nod and lift my hand from the bar in a kind of semi-wave for riders heading in the opposite direction, and try to chat to peeps at ASLs.

Remarkably many people seem to be to interested in murdering themselves to get to work/hollyoaks to chat, which is a shame.

barca
    Free Member

I shout good morning every time I pass the lollipop lady outside Banks Lane Infant School (locals will know it). She has some wicked frog wellington boots. She does everything she can to avoid saying hello back. I've even trackstood while she's helped the little guys cross and they were well into my antics with even the mum and dads watching. Lollipop lady had something in her pocket she couldn't find it would seem. Not a single smile in over 6 years. I go past her at least twice per week. I think she wants me 🙂

zaskar
    Free Member

Some won't hear you or too tired to look up etc.

Some will say hello or nod back. Some have ipod, deaf, bad day but do you really want to ponder?

Chill -life is too short and fix that creak.

Enjoy your commute :mrgreen:

psling
    Free Member

Makes me think back to the scene in Crocodile Dundee where he's walking through New York saying G'day to everyone…

I mean, you don't say 'Hi' and expect an acknowledgement from everyone you walk past in the street so why would you while using a bike as a means to get from A to B. Now, out in the hills may be different…

Personally I acknowledge other cyclists, motorists that pass me courteously, and friendly walkers. Others get blanked (unless they are of a category that SFB would photograph in which case they get the pervy stare) 😉

soobalias
    Free Member

head nod/hand raise – thats cos i commute on the road, im more vocal offroad.

I walk my dog twice a day and i always say hi to everyone i see in the parks fields and woods. However if i walk into town i dont speak to randoms, but i did when i lived in a village.

basically if i acknowledge somebody, they better respond, even if they think im an overly friendly escapee from the loony bin. If they dont they are a miserable cunit.

jimmy

I always used to say hello. Then I moved to Edinburgh and generally people on the cycle tracks are a miserable bunch. Head down, chug along. So it got me to thinking like coffee-king. Just cos they're on a bike, doesn't mean there's a comaraderie. So I keep mesen to mesen now.

TooTall
    Free Member

I feel like a perv because I'm wearing lycra without baggies over the top! I'll get used to it.

Bike is going in to Mud Dock tomorrow for a look see. I'm convinced the frame is creaking at the rear stays (part carbon) and I don't want it to fail on me. Not so good.

Oh well – screw em all – I'll join the silent masses then.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Are you in Bristolia now then TT? … and you haven't said hello … 😥

scruff
    Free Member

I smile or say hello to most people. I see several of the same commuters most days, some say hello some I dont bother with anymore . Common exceptions are foreign workers who dont know what bicycles are, never mind bicycle lanes. Probably think they are dark magic or something. Also beardy commuters are often mardy, probably as they only wear their 70's office clothing to cycle in, or wear their massive Karrimor 4 season purple rambler jacket if its drizzling a bit.

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

I say hello/nod to most other cyclists and get the same response. Sometimes I don't bother, it depends how I feel.

There's one old guy on a road bike I used to pass in opposite directions who used to gawp open mouthed at me everyday. I even shouted hello but the miserable bastid just wanted to stare and dribble. I don't know why but I'd like to kill him.

zaskar
    Free Member

Maybe he was drooling over you in lycra…

Did he look like this myfatherwasawolf?

edhornby

this is an eternal dilemma….. and the answer is usually 'it depends'

as I ride into Manchester on a busy (car filled) road any other riders get a nod if they are going in the other direction assuming I spot them, or a quick 'morning' if we're going in the same direction – most of the time I'm too busy concentrating on cars, so apologies if I miss you 🙂

if I'm out on the weekend I always wave

devs
    Free Member

English people and/or cyclists are a strange bunch. You have issues. Today I am mainly being a rugby player who cycles for fitness to disassociate myself from the hang up fest going on in this thread.

theboatman
    Free Member

Generally a nod and a smile to most folk, and on occasion a slight lift of the finger from my bars. Just do it to be civil really, I'm not really bothered if it is recipricated or not, that's for them.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Commuting – is there a fine line or not?’ is closed to new replies.