• This topic has 19 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by toby1.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Commuting in the wind
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

Tomorrow evening I’m looking at a 45 MPH headwind on my commute, I’m thinking the train is looking a better option or will I not really notice?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That’ll be gusting to 45, think of it as training!. I had a cheeky wee headwind on the way into work today, then the bugger changed directions completely just before I finished and I had one that was a fair bit cheekier on the way home.

No fair.

ton

mate, train sounds heaven
    after 33yrs as a cycle commuter, i think i have come to the stage where i could jack it all in.
    sick to the back teeth of the dredge of it every day.

stumpy01

Saw two people trying to cycle into a strong headwind this evening. Dunno how strong it was but my car was getting shoved around on the way home by it; they weren’t going anywhere fast and there was a lot of gurning going on!

hilldodger
    Free Member

Just when you’re looking for some payback after hacking to work all through the winter these gusty spring days are the real kick in the ballcocks for commuting. My route is essentially 10 miles dead straight along the EW axis, tonights headwind was torment, but at least it wasn’t crosswinds.

molgrips
    Free Member

If it says a number in the bbc site I think that means average wind speed. Generally, if it says 25 or so it’s damn windy. So 45 is pretty bad. Unless they’ve changes the way they report it.. I cannot remember seeing 45 before in previous stormy weather

joolsburger
    Free Member

Yup out with the oyster then – FAT.

thorpey0
    Free Member

I was out in it tonight. I was going to sack it off but thought I would get a quick hour in. Pedalling into a block headwind for 10 miles on the way back was just no fun at all. Average speed at the turn was 21MPH, I got back and I was down to under 18 (well under!)

Train….

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Have a look at windfinder, far better than beeb weather.

Superficial
    Free Member

Argh, you have planted the seed of doubt in my mind. I think, maybe I’m more hardcore than you. So I’ll ride.

large418
    Free Member

Tis a bitch the wind at the moment. Sometimes it’s not just the effort, but the noise past your ears. I like some peace and quiet when riding, but when it’s windy there is no chance of that.

shermer75
    Free Member

How long is the commute? I did an hour today, gusting up to 45mph, it was annoying but doable. The commute was ten minutes longer than usual! Going home was fun though 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Beeb have changed to gust speed, but I’m not sure at what point it changes from avg to gust

TheBrick
    Free Member

It depends how open you commute is. I’ve commuted in very high winds in London and although there were wind tunnel effects and it was tough it is not as bad my current commute that involve cycling past a regional airport. It is so open that even a slight wind is hell and due to the way the road curve round you are guaranteed a head wind. Arrrrrrrr!

joolsburger
    Free Member

Took the soft option and WFH today looking outside I’m glad I did!

portlyone

Rain I don’t mind too much, wind is a PITA though. And more dangerous, funnelled winds from side streets can be a challenge

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Headwind both ways yesterday, tailwind both ways today. Summers here.

Simonpieman
    Free Member

Yes with you on this, wind is the worst, every day down the Solent this week a headwind! Barely keep the bike moving!

Still what doesn’t kill you…..

czthompson

My commute home last night did almost kill me.. One of the few times I’ve had to pedal to go downhill.

toby1

Cycle in last night was into the wind, up on the pedals putting my full weight into each pedal stroke – must have been doing about 6 miles an hour.

Ride home was quicker, but gusting from the side, luckily for me on a traffic free route.

I HATE the wind, I ride on open land on a singlespeed, by the time I got to work I was ready to buy a geared bike again.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Commuting in the wind’ is closed to new replies.