Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Commuting in London
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

No I didn’t do kensington today!!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

London’s not really that bad. It’s so busy that the drivers have seen it all before a hundred times that day, and there are loads of cyclists so they are pretty well used to dealing with us. That and the fact that no-one’s expecting to get anywhere quickly so they don’t get up tight about cyclists. Other parts of the SE are way worse ime.

Agreed. My commute from South Woodford to Farringdon always felt safer in zones one and two. Once in more suburban areas speeds increased and awareness seemed to decrease.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Assume that everyone’s trying to kill you.

+1000000000000

Agreed. My commute from South Woodford to Farringdon always felt safer in zones one and two. Once in more suburban areas speeds increased and awareness seemed to decrease.

Agreed people east or Hackney generally drive like d1cks, I hate Lea Bridge Road but have to ride it twice a day.

TheBrick
    Free Member

London’s not really that bad. It’s so busy that the drivers have seen it all before a hundred times that day, and there are loads of cyclists so they are pretty well used to dealing with us. That and the fact that no-one’s expecting to get anywhere quickly so they don’t get up tight about cyclists. Other parts of the SE are way worse ime.

I have more hassle and see more bad overtaking by cars and (proportionally more ) bad commuting cycling in East Dorset than I ever did cycling in London.

brooess
    Free Member

Agree with lots of the advice ^^ and the observation that London traffic is generally better than suburban these days, and that a lot of people ride like they drive ie: the law is considered optional!

Would also say don’t forget the ‘lifesaver’ look over the shoulder.
    Saw a guy on a bike nearly die when he nipped in front of a 10 tonne truck without looking. Not sure he even knew what he’d done. Felt v sorry for the truck driver who was standing on the brakes and hoping he wasn’t about to crush an idiot…

neilnevill
    Free Member

I’ll be the rule prover then…personally I find balck cabs the worst (had one ram me intentionally on whitehall in no trafic, just for the sheer pleasure), then buses, then addison lee. all are tryng to kill you, the 3rd are consitent so preducable, the first 2 are very variable so far more scary.

lots of good advice above. just be visibule, lots of lights etc, ride sensible, clear signals, eye contact, assertive, scowl and scream if you think you’ve been missed. don’t go up the left of ANYTHING and especially not a lorry. watch out for muppet cyclists as much as any other road user. enjoy the adrenaline!

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Commuting in London’ is closed to new replies.