Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Commuting ideas please
  • cudubh

Currently I leave the house in the car at 6.35 to get the train at 6.50 to take me into Glasgow to get the 7.15 to Edinburgh. Gets me into the office about 8.20. I work in an open plan office with nowhere to store clothes. I wear a suit at work so at the moment no problem, just travel in it. What I would like to do is do the first bit of the trip by bike and maybe then have a longer ride on the way home. Initially I would maybe just do it a couple of days a week. Leaving the house earlier every morning is not hugely appealing when I don’t usually get home until 7.30 or 8. I can leave the bike in the underground secure carpark in Edinburgh and I can get a shower when I get to work so these are not issues. My problem is how to get the suit and shirt to work without them looking like a rag when I get changed in the office. If I just stuff them in the rucksack with the laptop I reckon I will look pretty dishevilled. If i leave the suit hanging in the office on the back of the chair the cleaners will tidy it away at night. I might be missing some obvious solution but it is Friday and it has been a long week.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

travel in on monday as you do now taking a change of clothes ad a suit bag. change out of suit monday evening and put it in the suit bag and find somewhere to hang it.. reverse on friday???

cudubh

Not a bad idea. All I need to do is find somewhere to hang the suit carrier. And the shirts, properly folded, can probably manage the trip in the rucksack without looking too crumpled.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

dude – you are spending 40 whole days per year just commuting to and from work!!!

maxray
    Free Member

Once you get it sorted you will be well pleased.

I do similar and bike –> train –> bike to work.

It gives me an hour of cycling a day which I wouldnt normally get to do and gets tyou nicely woken up of a morning.

nickjb
    Free Member

That would need to be a bl++dy good job.

cudubh

The commute is getting to me a bit after three and a half years which is why we are hoping to move. That will hopefully cut about 30-40 minutes off the commute each way which I can then fill with time on the bike or maybe with my wife.

ourmaninthenorth

I ride an hour each way. I work in an open plan office.

*Suits live on hangers in carriers, hanging from the nearest coatstand.
    *Shoes stay in locker (though I have kept shoes in a box under my desk)
    *Washbag stays in locker (i.e. never goes home)
    *Towell hangs in changing room

Daily, I bring in: boxers, socks, shirt.

Key to shirt transport is careful folding. Only fold in the morning that you ride in to minimise creasing.

cudubh

I knew that there would be an answer, just too frazzled to figure it out. Think the shoes will live under the desk and I should be able to make space in a drawer for some washing kit, leaving the towel in the shower room. Thanks guys.

turin
    Free Member

another option is to leave the suit jacket at work and get 2 pairs of trousers the same and get them dry cleaned on a weekly/fortnightly basis somewhere close to work, letting them store them for you

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Commuting ideas please’ is closed to new replies.