Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Commuting by motorbike
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

I probably need to work out before I move whether a scooter is viable. If cycling and train I’ll live about 12 miles from work but if scooter or motorbike then I’d live about twenty miles away

monkeyp

Also, if you do end up buying a new bike/scooter and the shop sells kit, ask for a discount.

I got about £300 off of my kit in total when I got my PCX which considering it only cost about £2300 was a great deal. I did end up buying a Shoei lid though as it was the only one which felt ‘right’, so that cost a fair whack!

Northwind

I used to commute every day by bike (SV650- great at it- fun, reasonably small, agile, quick (but more importantly easy to make it go quick) reliable and damn near unkillable, once stove in the door on a SMIDSYing Focus and didn’t so much as scratch the bike 😉 )

Most things already covered… A scooter is very practical but a bike does have presence that they lack, and tend to be given more respect by road users. Shouldn’t be the case, but is. People assume you’re a 16 year old learner.

Cost… It’s cheaper for me to commute in my car! MPG not great, insurance and servicing expensive. Saving was all about time and well worth the difference. Depends how much you hate being stuck in traffic.

Practicality… Well, in Scotland it can be hard 🙂 Leave house in sun, arrive in snow. Not so bad in the south. Good kit worth it, arriving soaked in the office is no fun (or riding home in wetted out kit). It does take a bit of time to get changed at either end, just like cycling.

I wouldn’t do it now as it’s just not a very good option for my commute, but if that changes I’ll unsorn the bike the next day!

MrsPoddy
    Free Member

Sometimes it is ace – I commute 19 miles one way on a scooter when my car share in on holiday or ill. My list of must haves would be heated grips, top box and larger wheels. Our vespa use to fall foul of the pot holes and joins in dual carriage ways. I love the sunny days and the days where there are massive jams everywhere and everyone complains about how long it took them to get into work. I hate the -4 and below weather, people peering through a credit card size slot in the frost and snow and the people who pull out or in on you as you are on a scooter then brake hard because as you are on a scooter you must be a learner or only doing 30 (even on a motorway). Oh yeah and helmet hair!

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Be commuting by bike for 7 years. Winter is crap, even with the correct gear on and would much rather be in a car. But I refuse to pay £1500 a year to be warm for a couple of months each year. I don’t mind the rain, good tyres, waterproof gear and two sets of gloves mean no soggy mess at the end of work. But when it’s dry its awesome and so much quicker getting through Preston rush hour. Fuel economy the same as missus’s 1.2 litre Fiat Pinto about 35 mpg, 40 is the best I’ve seen. Costs £22 fill the tank.
    Ride a Suzuki Gsr 600 costs me £184 a year fully comp, 5 years ncb and I’m 27.
    Sits at 80mph in 3rd gear at 4,000 rpm.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Fuel economy the same as missus’s 1.2 litre Fiat Pinto about 35 mpg

The same as I get from my pickup truck 😯

Much better than I get off my 1200 bandit or firestorm though. Neither will see 30mpg.

It’s hard to figure out why 200kg-ish bikes are just so appallingly thirsty.

Gotama
    Free Member

Because your right wrist is always twisted to the stop? 😀

br
    Free Member

Much better than I get off my 1200 bandit or firestorm though. Neither will see 30mpg.

Honda’s in general and V-twins are often crap on fuel, so that’s the VT sorted 🙂

My old zx9r averaged 40mpg, the Fazer 1000 did 45mpg and both 1050 Triumphs’ 55mpg, with the GT been marginally better than the Tiger.

All long-term commuters and none ridden for economy.

For me its how you ride (observation), as I usually get better car mpg than most too.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Because your right wrist is always twisted to the stop?

Oh yeah 😆

My old zx9r averaged 40mpg, the Fazer 1000 did 45mpg and both 1050 Triumphs’ 55mpg, with the GT been marginally better than the Tiger.

Still awful for a 200kg-ish vehicle.

You’d think you’d be able get a full sized 100bhp bike that’ll do 100mpg if ridden, err, ‘normally’.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

I could improve the mpg if I stopped going round town in 2nd gear but I’m addicted to the induction noise it makes. Im not fussed tho I enjoy it and 35mpg for something that can hit 140 mph at acclerates as quick as most super cars is not too bad

klumpy
    Free Member

I’ve commuted my current commute on a ’96 fireblade, a ’92 GPz500, a 2000 KLX300 enduro bike, and a ’07 SV 650.

I’ve got 50mpg on all four of them. I guess if you’re going the same kind of speed, it only takes the same kind of energy to do it.

The KLX was amazing in town. It was also amazing on A-roads in the rain in the dark on FIM enduro tyres and 6 volt electrics. But not in a good way.

klumpy
    Free Member

You’d think you’d be able get a full sized 100bhp bike that’ll do 100mpg if ridden, err, ‘normally’.

Normally? 🙂 And 100mpg where? My old ZX-7R did 70 odd MPG on the motorway at 90mph – so the previous owner told me, officer.

But fuel consumption will only get worse as environmental measures get stricter because of exhausts choked with catalyzers and fuelling set to protect them. A bike mag got a power commander and some exhaust spares and made a 600cc sport bike faster, more economical, and reduced emmissions (CO2 was undetectable with their equipment) – but it was a bit louder. Apparently noise is considered as bad as poison and CO2, so it would never pass whatever it is motor vehicles pass to be sold somewhere.

orangetoaster
    Free Member

Choose a motorbike with your heart, not your head. Your balls (or lack of them) will act as a safeguard against riding anything too “extreme” untill your riding ability improves.

Safety is improved by riding a bike that makes a statment – something along the lines of “I don’t mind if I scratch it on your Mercedes” is helpfull for filtering.

Do your test and spend a day learning how to ride on the mud. You learn a lot more riding off the tarmac than you do on it. Some dirtbike skills will help you stay upright when you hit that unseen patch of diesel on the corner……

superfli
    Free Member

I’ve been commuting by motorbike almost everyday for the last 12 years.
    I originally had CBR600, then GSXR750s, but for the last 2 GSXRs I’ve bought a cheaper commuter trailie. It saves the GSXR from all the salt, road muck and expense of tyres/chains etc.
    Original commuter hack was a KLR250. It died and have been on a DRZ400S for the last 2 years. Its a hoot and I love it. Gets through tyres quicker than I thought though (approx 3500, so same as a sportbike). Very manoeuvrable and plenty of torque. It will depend on your journey though. 7miles each way with 1/2 on motorway is fine. More than 10miles on motorway would be a pain. Fuel isnt bad – 85-100 on a £10/tank.

nickname
    Free Member

Get a taster session done (www.geton.co.uk), then a CBT + 125 scoot.

Probably the easiest way to get started.

A scoot gives you the luggage capability without needinga topbox or lugging around a rucksack, plus you don’t have to faff about with gears.

London is a little easier to filter with a scoot, but not by much to be honest. I haven’t seen a big difference – there’s very few days in the year when the traffic is so smegged that bigger bikes can’t get through 🙂

Next up think about cost – CBT (and optional full-license) + bike + clothing/helmet + insurance + fuel + servicing.

Oh, and it hurts when you crash..and you probably will at some point – so extra training + full license + spending £££ on helmet/clothing gear is a good idea 🙂

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

I commute 20 odd miles on a Honda varadero 125cc,when the weathers behaving ! its a very big bike for a 125cc and has plenty of road presence … I get 90 mpg, which im very happy about , Ive have had a few close calls but none of them my fault 🙁 … and buy the best riding gear you can afford .. its worth it in the long run …. love my alpinestars goretex boots the most 😀

fontmoss
    Free Member

Ok I’ll try get cbt soon and post back my experiences…

epicyclo

I really don’t think you can commute cheaper on a motorbike unless you go for one of the little Hondas.

Not if you count tyre wear and servicing costs etc.

But it’s more fun, and that’s the best reason for it. 2 hours sitting in a car getting to work is work, but 45 minutes each way on a motorbike is an hour and a half of fun, not work.

Just get something small enough that you have to use it hard to make the ride interesting. 🙂

hels
    Free Member

I used to commute on a wee 125 regularly, all I would add is that overtaking buses/tractors etc is NOT FUN, keep a very sharp eye over your shoulder for the Land Cruiser drivers pushing in and overtaking the whole queue at 100mph while you are gathering your revs. And if you have had a long hard day at work have a break and a coffee before you jump on the bike, need to be focused at all times !

Apart from that motorbikes are awesome, even small ones.

fontmoss
    Free Member

It;s not so much the cost as the time that would be the decisive factor, if I could convert an hour train journey into a 40/50 min door to door commute then it would be worth it.

5thElefant
    Free Member

If it was an hour on a bike rather than 40 minutes on a train it would be worth it!

fontmoss
    Free Member

I guess a very important point I kind of missed out at the beginning – over a 20 mile journey from say Wimbledon to Chertsey would it be much quicker than a car? In traffic I mean

fontmoss
    Free Member

Anyone? Looking at doing a taster session when get back from holiday end of May. I think that’ll help us decide where to live so fingers crossed goes ok.

Also if I got a Honda 125 varadero second hand would it be easy enough to sell on and buy something sexier should I wish?…

5thElefant
    Free Member

Yes. You can do 30mph+ when everyone else is stationary. The fannying around with waterproofs etc does take more than a few minutes either end though.

br
    Free Member

It;s not so much the cost as the time that would be the decisive factor, if I could convert an hour train journey into a 40/50 min door to door commute then it would be worth it.

Its not the hour train journey, but the door-to-door journey you need to compare. Even with 40mpg you’ll be quids in if paying Peak-hour trains.

Nobody buys big m/c for economy, but if you look at the time saving you can make them almost free to use.

And if you’re a contractor, no BIK issues – plus get the VAT back on a new one.

Gotama
    Free Member

I guess a very important point I kind of missed out at the beginning – over a 20 mile journey from say Wimbledon to Chertsey would it be much quicker than a car? In traffic I mean

Yes. It is also a consistent time taken to commute. I go from surrey hills to chiswick everyday. I start early but go home with everyone else. On the way in i would save perhaps 5 mins on a bike compared to the car in typical traffic, but that is getting in to the office at 7 ish. On the way home it would be closer to 15. Where it really benefits is when some clown has screwed around with the traffic light sequencing and it causes a bigger jam than usual, or there is an accident/breakdown on the A3. On a bike you’ll just filter through slowly so it hardly causes a delay whereas in a car you’re stuck….and sods law says the time you’re stuck in traffic will be the glorious sunny evening when you had plans for getting out on the pedal bike 🙄

As has been said above winter is rubbish though, especially over a reasonable commute. As someone who has never ridden a bike before i’d suggest living somewhere that gives you commute options when the weather is bad, just in case you decide that greasy wet roads, car drivers becoming more idiotic and freezing rain is really not for you during the winter months.

Pigface
    Free Member

The KLX was amazing in town. It was also amazing on A-roads in the rain in the dark on FIM enduro tyres and 6 volt electrics. But not in a good way.

😆 would get more light out of a bunch of birthday candles.

br
    Free Member

As has been said above winter is rubbish though, especially over a reasonable commute. As someone who has never ridden a bike before i’d suggest living somewhere that gives you commute options when the weather is bad, just in case you decide that greasy wet roads, car drivers becoming more idiotic and freezing rain is really not for you during the winter months.

Yep. I’ve been riding 30 years, and there is no fun in riding when pretty much every moment you are waiting to fall off – and its always dark on a winter commute.
    My basic approach was if there was ice on the car window AND moisture on the road outside my house, take the car etc.

monkeyp

I have a similar rule – if it’s below 3degC and wet I’ll drive in.

As for commute time – I think someone up there had it right – my commute always takes the same time. In the morning it is no quicker than the car really as I leave early. Coming home it is 15 minutes quicker. Getting kitted up takes me about 1 minute – kick shoes off, trousers oon, jacket on, boots on and the rest goes on as I walk to the bike which is parked closer than my car would be.

Regarding riding in heavy traffic – you’ll probably go through a period like me where first I was scared, then I was over confident and now I am somewhere in between. At the end of the day, I know that even if I don’t take every opportunity to squeeze through I will still be quicker. Some places (especially on a 125) it just isn’t worth it.

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Commuting by motorbike’ is closed to new replies.