Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • commuting bike advice
  • polarisandy
    Free Member

looking for advice from you hardened commuters.

plan to start commuting soon and contuinue over winter. I have very little (ok make that no)interest in road biking as a sport, it's just a means to an ends (fitness/getting to work and better than driving). I have been looking at the Genesis Vapour (i would like to fit mudguards/rack/flat bars/bigger tyres for winter).
    Would also consider using it for bridleway/simple cross country, so a cross bike seems like a good idea.
    Local shop does giant and genesis, looking at BTW scheme.
    ?upto £600ish

Any words of advice from you commuters re what works and what doesn't.
    journey to work is quite hilly (lakes) and 10-15k.

thanks in advance for all pearls of wisdom

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Sounds like you ahve the right idea.

Triple, full proper guards, drop barred cross bike, rack eyelets, job done. If you can get something with discs it saves grinding rims away in filthy winter paste, but don't worry if budget won't go that far.

If locking it up outside don't get anything too flash – no carbon, cover up or better peel off decals. Leave it encrusted in road grime so it looks awful.

I say drop bars because they offer you about a thousand hand positions, which flat bars simply don't. They also allow you to hunker down out of the wind a bit when its raining and its dark and you just want to get home/to the pub. No harm having them setup quite high so that the tops are a comfy height.

Handsomedog
    Free Member

I have a Vapour. Its ace!

Will take up to and probably over a 35c touring tyre, wil ltake guards and rack, pretty light and well specced for the money. I also CX race on mine.

foxyrider
    Free Member

TBH – all sounds good to me – I do mine on a Specialized allez with race guards and when it peeing down I just get wet anyway – change of dry clothes and a radiator helps. Also subzeros I wear thinsulate waterproof gloves (keeps most of the weather out) , have thermal leggings, think socks and a neoprene skull cap for when its really cold – also watch out for the black ice – only come a cropper once!

glenp
    Free Member

Just say no to flat bars on the road! Riding on the hoods is much more comfortable (provided you set the height and reach correctly to start with) and you have loads of other positions too.

Mudguards are essential. Bigger tyres aren't.

polarisandy
    Free Member

cheers all for advice/comments, and will stay with the drop bars for a while and see how goes..

avdave2

On the flat versus drops argument I'd go for flats if you'll be riding in built up areas with traffic and numpty pedestrians and drops if it's more open roads. Alfine hub maybe if you not going to have much interest in cleaning it and are riding all year round. Full mudguards are great and make sure they have a good mud flap on the front as that does the most to protect your feet. And a rack to lug everything around on.

Mind you I got bored commuting on the road so now I put up with a sweaty back and getting filthy and wet in the winter to commute off road.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

On the flat versus drops argument I'd go for flats if you'll be riding in built up areas with traffic and numpty pedestrians and drops if it's more open roads.

Why do you say that? I've been commuting in traffic on drops for 8 years … in fact its irritating when some numpty on wide flat bars gets in your way trying to filter through narrow gaps 🙂

Solo
    Free Member

Where as I would say that there is an argument for going with dropped bars, ref slipping through traffic.

I've just put guards and road tyres on my HT. Then, on weekends, if I'm out for an off-road ride, its a ten min tyre change.

Disc brakes are more common on MTBs too as we know, so better and more consistent braking during winter conditions.

I know someone who commutes on a Giant SCR with guards etc. Light weight, but seems slightly more vulnerable to the ravages of riding salty winter roads and the rims are grinding away.

Solo.

glenp
    Free Member

There seems to be some assumption that drop bars means very low bars. The top and hoods of my drop bars are in the same place as the grips of my flat bars would be – about 3 or 4 inches below saddle height in my case, or whatever your preference is. Some people have the tops and hoods level with saddle. Flat bars do not equal higher hands, just fewer hand positions.

Plus if you set your bike up really high you just make yourself into a big wind-catching machine and make your journey a hell of a lot harder work.

RaglanSurf
    Free Member

in fact its irritating when some numpty on wide flat bars gets in your way trying to filter through narrow gaps

If you commute in London that could well be me 😀

avdave2

I just found I preferred flats riding in traffic and if a gaps not big enough to go through with decent width bars then I'm happy just to wait a bit. I think there's enough room in the lakes for flat bars if you want them. 🙂

I've also used in board mounted bar ends on flats which are good for headwinds as they get you a bit further forward and lower.

steve_b77
    Free Member

May I mention a Boardman hybrid thingy.

28mm tyres on road sized rims, disc brakes, narrow falt bars avec bar ends, MTB greaing all SRAM, rack and guard mounts, ride very nicely too, mine does anyway.

Cheapo one is £499, top drawer one is £999

hitman
    Free Member

polaris
    read the above posts and lots I disagree with, which just shows the set-up you choose will come with experience and preference
    I used to do a similar commute 15/30 miles one way/return and am getting back into it in September. I found I need a road bike as anything else is too slow. Drop handlebars for decreased wind resistance and the addition of tri bars can be nice for a different position and for further reduced resistance. I eventually went for 25mm tyres for added comfort and very little effect on performance. No mudguards as a little bit of dampness never bothered me even when it was bucketing down. Get good waterproof high vis clothing and a good set of lights. Coat yr bike in refelective tape and keep to a minimum what you carry. Good luck 🙂

rancho
    Free Member

I'm selling my commute bike due to work circumstances. Its a Cannondale Bad Boy, size medium which has flat bars and bar ends(the ad is on the forum). The frame and forks have mudgard mounts and the frame decals are relective!! I can forward pics if you want?! (appologies fot the slight thread hi-jack).

stevedavid
    Free Member

dont know if this is any use to you but i commute and use my bike to get to and from meetings, it a pompino on one, flat or drop (i dont think matters) i think 700c wheels is the way to go. Its got full guards, and an alfine 8 speed rear hub, i haven't touched it in the pasty 9 months! i use a rack and panniers and this i find is the best way to commute. you can keep your water proofs, over shoes, lights and some tools with you at all times. the weight helps you with training too! constant riding helps your fitness so much you will be beating your mates up those hills before you know it.

good luck with the commuting

steve 🙂

polarisandy
    Free Member

Thanks for all advice.

Has anyone looked or got one of the merida cyclo cross bikes, in partic the cc3? genesis are out of stock(country wide) and your looking at about £850…the merida is aprox £200 cheaper.

tia

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘commuting bike advice’ is closed to new replies.