Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Commuting bike
  • Xan
    Free Member

So, I’m looking for a new commuter. I’ll be covering about 30 miles a day, so really needs to be something comfortable but fast. My initial thought was a road bike, but after talking to one of my LBS they have recommended a Cyclecross due to tha additional abuse a commuter will get (this will left in an underground carpark for a day sometimes before getting cleaned). What is everyones experience of this and what do you recommend.

Also any recomendations. I have 1K to spend

aP
    Free Member

The only difference between a road bike and a cross bike will be how fashionable you’re feeling this week. There’s no appreciable difference in strength, the wheels are basically the same and apart from some small geometry differences they’re broadly the same there as well.
    The main difference is likely to be the ease of fitting mudguards – it’ll be easier on the road bike.

Xan
    Free Member

So the main reason the cycle cross was mentioned was the disk brakes and the minimised wear if they get grit in them. I’ll be using some canal paths that are dusty.

grum
    Free Member

Something like a Planet X Kaffenback, Genesis CDF, or Cotic X would be best IMO. Heavy though.

Proper road bikes are really designed for racing and aren’t very comfortable or practical. Mudguard and rack eyelets are usually missing for starters.

ransos
    Free Member

An audax bike should have fittings for guards and a rack.

njee20
    Free Member

I use a road bike, clean it annually at most. It’s pretty trashed frankly, but then a cross bike would be no better.

bails

main difference is likely to be the ease of fitting mudguards – it’ll be easier on the road bike

Errr, really? My CX can take proper guards but most road bikes can’t. Disc brakes are great when it’s wet and the ability to fit wider tyres (e.g winter marathons for ice) means the bike is useful all year round.

It doesn’t have to be a CX, but a road bike with decent tyre/guard clearance and disc brakes would be an ideal year round commuter IMO. I think spesh do a disc Allez.

bails

Oh, and maintenance is much of a muchness between the two. Drivetrain is the main thing that needs looking after and that’s the same stuff whether it’s bolted to a road or CX frame. Don’t know if you’ve got a road bike already but they really don’t need much looking after. Being left for “a day” isn’t going to break anything!

soma_rich
    Free Member
    GrahamS

Recently bought a CX bike that’ll I’ll be using for commuting on bridleways, canal path, as well as road use.

I went for this Rose Pro DX 4400 which is >£1k but there are cheaper versions. Always worth looking at the Boardman CX stuff too (Halfords are on the BikeToWork scheme and British Cycling membership gets you a further 10% off)

In the true nature of STW I disagree with most of what aP said 😀

The wheels are different (stronger Mavic rims, cross-laced, Racing Ralph tyres, disk hubs), the geometry is different (more upright and relaxed), it certainly feels stronger, has disc brakes, and has eyelets for mudguards and racks so fitting them is easy.

TPTcruiser

I’ll be using some canal paths that are dusty.

What country are you in? Do you mean muddy?
    Tourer bike with a rack rather than carrying stuff on your back. And guards.
    Revolution Tourer

tacopowell
    Free Member

Spesh Sirius, hybrid, as comfy as you’ll get!

grum
    Free Member

That Revolution Tourer looks great.

kcr
    Free Member

I think the term “road bike” tends to be defined very narrowly as meaning “road racing bike” on this forum, but it really covers a much wider spectrum of bikes.
    For your requirements, I would choose a bike that can take a pannier rack, proper mudguards (not clip ons) and robust commuting tyres (up to 28mm). I would not choose trick equipment or lightweight wheels; for commuting I want reliable stuff that just does the job day in, day out, winter or summer. Discs are a good call, and there are lots of road frame options for discs now.
    Don’t get too hung up about what it is called; just choose something that does what you want.

GrahamS

Wise words kcr

oldbloke
    Free Member

Also, unless you have a reason to carry loads of gear, possibly think saddlebag rather than panniers. More balanced than one lopsided pannier bag and some have enough space for small laptop, spare clothes & lunch. And way more comfortable than a rucsac.

Maybe not cool, but very practical.

njee20
    Free Member

I think the term “road bike” tends to be defined very narrowly as meaning “road racing bike” on this forum, but it really covers a much wider spectrum of bikes.

Well mine is definitely a ‘road bike’ – a Specialized Allez with 23c Conti 4 Seasons, which generally give me thousands of puncture free miles.

Personally I don’t use a rack/pannier because I leave clothes at work, but can see why folk would want to. I use Race Blades which aren’t bad, although I don’t doubt full mudguards are better.

I want to get my commute over with as fast as possible, so it’s always a road bike for me!

allthepies
    Free Member

on-one pompetamine ?

http://on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPOMPALF/on_one_pompetamine_alfine_8_speed

8 speed alfine, discs, guard/rack mounts. Looks like a commuter weapon to me 🙂

GrahamS

possibly think saddlebag rather than panniers

Works for me (Carradice SQR Slim – big enough for a laptop, spares and change of clothes).

But it’s still nice to have the option of a rack for other journeys (tours, shopping etc).

GrahamS

on-one pompetamine ?

I considered one of those myself, but decided it was too heavy.

fasthaggis

It’s nice to have another use for your commuter,so if you get something that is a good all rounder (CX or AUDAX) and has braze ons ,then you can use it for a bit of touring at weekends.
    I like the idea of a spare set of faster wheels and running gear for my next commuter/tourer.

freeagent
    Free Member

I have Boardman hybrid which is very good (basically a flat-barred road bike)
    It has disc brakes, 28C tyres and all the boltholes you could want for mud guards/racks/etc.

Was a pretty good deal via Halfords C2W

topangarider
    Free Member

I currently ride a CX bike (Giant TCX) for cummuting to work. Most of the time I’m on cycletracks etc, but I do like the possibility that I can take the long way on some local bridelways.

Other than that – what bail says^. I would defo go for something with disc brakes. Canti’s on my CX are proper pants. Other than that it’s pretty much spot on, with plenty of tyre clearance, and eyelets for racks/mudguards. The more upright/relaxed position defo helps when weaving in and out of traffic over my road bike.

If I were doing it again, i’d get a CX frame, disc brakes and either an alfine or a 1×10 set up.

foxwelljsly
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with a parts bin special built round a 26 Hardtail.

I commute 32 road miles every day on one built round a Kula frame. Kit: exotic carbon fork, pro II/xc717 wheels, SLX 9 speed, deus XC triple chainset, BB7’s, an Old man mountain rear disc rack, gator 26×1.2 tyres and a bunch of other stuff I had knocking around.

You’ll be suprised what you might have cluttering up the shed.

Aristotle
    Free Member

As a commuter, child carrier and occasional leisure ride machine, I use a Kinesis Crosslight (it has mounts for rack, mudguards etc) that I’ve had for years (everything’s been changed other than the seatpost, it’s like Trigger’s broom)

Although fatter tyres aren’t ‘fast’, I prefer to be able to use robust, off-road-able 35mm Land Cruiser (or similar) tyres than 23-28mm slicks. 2 punctures in many years of use.

I prefer drops for commuting, but I currently have flat bars on it (due to a broken STI shifter lever), but it does allow V-brakes that give much better performance than the old Cantis.

Panniers and a rack (that prevents the bags hitting the spokes) give far superior comfort to a rucksack/messenger bag, although the handling can be a bit funny.

I can recommend carbon forks.

labsey
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with a parts bin special built round a 26 Hardtail.

This. My commuter is a mix of old parts. Find some good tyres though, they make all the difference.

Xan
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for your comments. I went and did some investigating and it seems there is a route to work that is all tarmack, so the requirement to use on gravel path as gone. I also noticed a mistake in my original post the commute is 30 miles each way. So I realise this seems alot of miles, but I’ll be working up to it, and using trail some of the way to start with.

I’ve also been to try a few bikes and I’ve opted to go for a Giant Defy 1. Seems a really nice, and fast bike. Given teh comments that they dont take as much maintenance as I first thought I decided the road bike was the way to go as I have a ridgid Trek sport that I can use for shorter runs where thing get a little more gritty or muddy.

thanks all for your tips.

will
    Free Member

I was going to suggest a Giant Defy. Light and fast, yet very comfortable. That’s a good choice! I’d also look at getting some mudguards for the wetter days as 30 miles each way with a wet arse wouldn’t be fun!

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Comfy, quick, mudguard eyelets, <£1k. What’s not to like?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Commuting bike’ is closed to new replies.