Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Commuting at this time of year
  • Nick

I’m using all the tricks to stop me jibbing out of commuting into the office for the first time this year (for ages actually).

It’s 20 miles ew and I’ll be on my trusty Pompino, because I haven’t been into the office at all for about 3 months I’ve got to carry all my clothes and laptop, so it’s heavy!

So now that I’ve told you all you have my permission to take the piss if I go back to bed, so to save face I’ve now got to MTFU and get out there.

Anyone else regularly riding to work at this time of year?

Back in 90 mins.

jeffm
    Free Member

Yep, now.
    It was been a bit grim of late but that makes me feel more smug about it.
    Enjoy the ‘free’ time on your bike, give yourself plenty of time so there’s no need to rush.

takisawa2

Looking forward to my commute doubling to 2.9 miles in March. 🙂
    20 miles…would kill me.

You…you’ll be a riding god come summer.

avdave2

Yes and it’s through mud the whole way. It’s taking at least 50% longer than in the summer – probably more in fact. Last night I was struggling to make forward progress downhill and I reckon I was covering as much distance sideways as forwards. And despite all that I usually take a longer route in than the shortest one available.

eskay

All year round for me. Only 8 miles eachway though so not as much of a trek as you.

just had a shower and sat down with a coffee. A quick surf before starting work at 8.

njee20
    Free Member

You…you’ll be a riding god come summer.

Unlikely when he’s not done it for 3 months!

I actually think it’s getting easier now – it’s still vaguely light at 5, feels like spring is at least in sight. I think November and December are hardest.

monkeyboyjc

I have for the last 3 years, unless it was absolutely hammering down, but a change of job now sees me in the company car mon-fri and I really miss the bike commuting. Dont knock it while youve got it.

ndthornton
    Free Member

I found last months Strava “ride 600km challenge” a big help for commuting last month through the grimmest January ever! Iv often thought getting the Mrs to hide my car keys might be another good one….

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

Yup, 22 miles each way, 3 times a week. Only bail on heavy heavy rain days, ive got soaked this past few months more than I can ever remember.

Its all about prep, i have all my gear ready to go in the morning so i can just jump on the bike. The hardest part of the commute is from my bed to the bike, ive got better at forcing myself to get up.

Having the right clothes really help, ive most struggled keeping my feet warm.

mrlugz
    Free Member

Normally not an issue. Only 9 miles ew and I do it whatever the weather.
    At least I did until an off last Friday on the way home. Big hole in knee, ruined tights, shredded jacket, smashed light. Fortunately I didn’t get run over too.
    On the bus for now and it takes practically twice as long.

I never look out of the window in the morning. That helps.

tomlevell

First time this year today (well last night home and in this morning) due to being ill.
    Headwind all the way home and damp this morning and missed the rain.

17-18 miles each way is hard with about 6 weeks off the bike and only a week back on it but all good. Eaten quite a lot this morning though :0)

ndthornton
    Free Member

Yup, 22 miles each way, 3 times a week

Nice effort – mine is also 22 miles but only once a week.
    How long does it take you?
    I wear normal road shoes with thick socks and Endura neoprene overshoes. No issues this year with cold feet but the weather has been quite mild. This combo kept them warm last year down to -8 apart from the last 5 miles where my whole body starts to freeze 🙂

tomlevell

Oh and the fact it suddenly appeared to get light at about 7:30 this morning was a bonus.

scruff
    Free Member

Rode home in the light last night for the first time this year, which was nice.

snakebite
    Free Member

rode in in the light this morning!

njee20
    Free Member

ive got soaked this past few months more than I can ever remember.

+1, been stupid lately! Most winters I’m surprised at how rarely you actually get wet, but since Christmas it’s been horrendous!

Also noticed the sudden light at both ends of the day, dry roads last night too, I’d forgotten how much more fun descending is on dry roads!

amedias
    Free Member

yep, 5 days a week come rain or shine, 2.5 miles in, 10 or 20 back depending on route.

spare clothes at work and showers are a godsend!

thorpie
    Free Member

Commute to work every shift, six days out of ten, finishing at all times of the day (midnight, 3am, 7am after nights). Do it without fail, in all weathers and haven’t used the car for work for three years!

fasthaggis

Also noticed the sudden light at both ends of the day, dry roads last night too, I’d forgotten how much more fun riding descending is on dry roads!

This^^ 🙂

rendo
    Free Member

I’ve been commuting daily for the last ten months (after i wnet through a period where i wimped out too often). my main motivation is the alternative forms of transport. i work bang in the centre of glasgow, so that rules out cars or m/bike, and i hate the train or bus.
    Relying on public transport can be a pain, and it also means if i decide to leave i can do it any time i wish, so its a lot more flexible.

sing1etrack

tomlevell – Member
    First time this year today (well last night home and in this morning) due to being ill.
    Headwind all the way home and damp this morning and missed the rain.

17-18 miles each way is hard with about 6 weeks off the bike and only a week back on it but all good. Eaten quite a lot this morning though :0)

Do you ride to Stockton? I must’ve been just ahead of you – I caught the rain for 5 or 10 mins. If I’d seen it raining before I opened the door I might have jibbed and gone in the car instead – glad I didn’t though! The ride home promises to be clear and dry so happy days.

Nick

Well I did it, feeling smug 🙂

It’s not like I haven’t been riding, but only 60 odd miles a week so I am hoping that as long as I keep it up at least twice a week, plus other evening and weekend rides will make me, if not a god, a reasonably fit rider able to enjoy the Wildcat 100 in April!

Was a lovely morning though, and the weight wasn’t too bad. Found I still have a desk and pedestal so can leave stuff overnight which will help a bit.

Saw two other Pompino’s this morning as I dropped into the center of Telford, never before, which was nice.

There’s some pretty good examples of proper heroic riding above, which will help me when I’m low on motivation 🙂

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

Nice effort – mine is also 22 miles but only once a week.
    How long does it take you?
    I wear normal road shoes with thick socks and Endura neoprene overshoes. No issues this year with cold feet but the weather has been quite mild. This combo kept them warm last year down to -8 apart from the last 5 miles where my whole body starts to freeze

Thanks, the fastest ive done it is 1 hour 10 and the slowest is 1 hour 50! I average 1 hour 20.

Ive currently got normal road shoes with Castelli neoprene toe covers and Northwave Extreme overshoes on top of these. This combined with a thin sock and long walking sock and with the shoes done up loose i just about manage on the coldest days. I tried Endura MT500 and my feet froze, I think I have poor circulation down there.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

the hardest section of my commute is from bed to the bike, after that its usually good… this morning was a bit of a schlep as once I p;icked up my battery I found the connection fired and then had to dig out the old lumicycles I have, took a bit of searching in desk drawers and thankfully they had enough charge to get to work – I even found the plug so they are charging at my desk.

I’m on the bike about 6.15am and the light is coming up sooner which does make you think the winter is ending but then some numpty changes the clocks and we do a u-turn for a month and then the light, again, comes back up. ahh bisto.

I do 6 miles in and 15 home. I’ll soon have to up that to 15 each way as I change job location at the end of feb. worse news is that the new location is back in central london so I return to fighting chelsea tractors, once more into the breach dear friends.

ton

commuting miles are the best most rewarding miles….imho.
    I love cycling past miserable car drivers, nipping through shortcuts, seeing the world has it rises from it’s sleep.
    this morning was a fantastic sunrise………also the reward for a cycle commuter is breakfast at your work station. it tastes so much better, when you have earned it.. 8)

ibnchris

This is great to read! I’ve been doing a pretty standard 8 miles ew through Central London for the last year or so but about to move to Tonbridge and was thinking that a 30mile commute was not even worth thinking about. But it seems that a few folk on here are up to that sort of distance. My only concern is the last 10miles through South London – think it might be the thing that breaks me. Just the stop starting etc. anyone got any suggestions for a quick route in from Kent. Office is in London bridge

ibnchris

P.s. Congrats OP – keep it up and let me know how the motivation is by the end of Feb 🙂

binners

Its definitely easier once you’re doing some of it in daylight. Psychologically, its so much better than doing the lot in the dark

This winter has been miles easier than last year too. Far milder. Yeah, its been grey and monotone and dull, but last winter was biblical in comparison to this year. And miles colder

Actually… I think the opposite might apply if you’re daaaaaaahn saaaaaaaaaarf. You’ve had it so much worse than us this winter. Last year was the reverse. It was horrible up here. Cold AND wet

12 miles each way for me, with 1000 ft of climbing. I set my fastest ever time this morning 😀

commuting miles are the best most rewarding miles….imho.
    I love cycling past miserable car drivers, nipping through shortcuts, seeing the world has it rises from it’s sleep.
    this morning was a fantastic sunrise………also the reward for a cycle commuter is breakfast at your work station. it tastes so much better, when you have earned it..

Amen to that brother. I’ve been doing it a couple of times a week. I’m aiming for every day this week

ska-49
    Free Member

I commute everday by bike. I have no car and the bus service is a joke. Not really a choice, not that I’m complaining. Between 9-10 mile round trip a day. Only been caught out by the rain a handful of times this winter! Glad to be in the driest part of the UK. Shorts all year round with shimano AM41 shoes- pretty much waterproof and warm. Really want a car to get to wales/scotland/europe but then it’ll just sit idle for weeks at a time.

faustus

Short commute most days on the bike throughout this winter, and sometimes it is a bit joyless, but nice to be keeping fit. Having showers and a locker at work helps no end, plus a secure underground bike park.

Sometimes take a long route home, and do a lunchtime ride once a week.

Looking forward to the spring/summer when my commute becomes longer and more interesting – live on a boat so move around all summer, lots of scope for decent off road sections.

jekkyl

can you do a longer day one day and bring your clothes in the day before perhaps?
    Starting at 10 and finishing at 4 and 20 miles won’t seem so bad I reckon.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i only managed one commute in jan because mt OH broke her arm in the first week back to work so i’ve been playing taxi!

commuted yesterday and today – the OH said i was like a kid with a new bike (no it’s just another trusty pompino) but i was excited to ride again. I even enjoyed the hailstorm this AM.

Oh and this

Wildcat 100

I want to enjoy it – so need miles

mccett
    Free Member

15 miles each way here, option for offroad on way home. Done it a lot more since getting my Croix de Fer as riding an old MTB with slicks I ran out of gears. Fitting a rack and panniers and mudguards has got me out a lot more and not having the rucksack is a revelation, no stiff tired shoulders.

Kit I could not do without – Shimano winter boots, one pair Bridgedale liner socks, sealskinz over those, leg warmers over top of sealskin socks. No cold feet ever.

Once it becomes habit, it becomes easier.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Almost 25 miles each way here, mix of on and off road. Normally twice a week.

I binned one ride last week as it was pitch black at 6:30am and torrential rain. Otherwise a bit of weather is fine. And rain and wind isn’t ice and snow so make the most of it.

We don’t have fixed desks at work an I have no locker as I work at home the rest of the time, so I have to carry everything every time laptop, paperwork, clothes, shoes, toiletries, towel, return riding gear, food etc adds over 10kg to the bike in the panniers.

Love it though. I look forward to riding in the dark, but its so much faster when it’s light and dry at each end of the day.

And yes, hardest part is bed to bike.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Always commute to work. Direct route is 3 miles but usually do an 11 mile road loop or 7 mile “urban, off-road” loop. Sets me up for the day/calms me down on the way home. 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

I did a 20 miler on the way in this morning. I can’t wait for the wind to die down, it was an absolute beast again today!

mrmo
    Free Member

definitely through the worst, leaving work at 5pm and the sun has just set, getting out at 7am and the sky isn’t pitch black. Unlike late December early jan when it is dark for the whole journey both ways.

I don’t mind dark, rain or wind on there own, two gets a bit miserable, and all three!!!!

for context 17miles each way 4 times a week,

And compared to last year, no ice!!!! just hope we have a spring in spring then summer, rather than have winter drag on for months like last year.

beefheart
    Free Member

The wind at the moment is definitely the worst thing.
    I’ve had a few mornings where I’ve been on the road bike, riding hard into a headwind hardly making any progress, unable to look up due to massive hailstones lashing down into my face.
    Still do it every day, and I find the filthier the weather the more invigorated I feel when I get to work.

My 12 mile each way commute looks set to become a 45 mile each way commute soon, so may not be doing it every day then….

kcr
    Free Member

20 miles is a long commute, but if you can make a habit of it, you will love it, at any time of year. I have a 40 minute cycle each way in my current job, and I would hate to have to drive to work, or get the bus. Think it will be 20 years of cycle commuting for me this year, and I really value it, whatever the weather, especially as my other opportunities for cycling are more limited these days.
    Good luck, and enjoy yourself.

brooess
    Free Member

There’s no such thing as the wrong weather, only the wrong clothing 🙂
    And the wrong kind of attitude!

FWIW I’ve been riding in twice a week all through winter (12 miles each way) and it’s the first winter in years that hasn’t felt like it was dragging – as in energy levels and mood still good.

It’s a far healthier way to start the day than crammed into a train and Tube or trapped in your car in a traffic jam.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Commuting at this time of year’ is closed to new replies.