Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Commuting and keeping your shirt crisp and neat
  • tomaso
    Free Member

How do people keep their shirt for work looking half presentable or better on their commute?

Just done folded mine the same way they do when you buy them from a shop and wrapped it round a piece of card to keep it flat and wondered why I’d never bothered to do it before.

Right school run and work is go!

nickf
    Free Member

I hang up my shirts in my locker (yes, I know I’m a lucky sod to have one) for a day to ensure any creases fall out. Seems to work.

trail_rat
    Free Member

fold in half , roll it up loosely , stick it in carradice

get to work – hang up in shower – have a nice hot shower

seing as work took away my showers & bike locking facilitys i now have a creased shirt and a slightly smelly – the concept of riding 20odd miles before work seems alien to HSE – who also threw a wobbler at me locking my bike to the railings outside the back door – suggesting i move it to the racks that are not bolted down and not under the CCTV

uwe-r
    Free Member

Just done folded mine the same way they do when you buy them from a shop and wrapped it round a piece of card to keep it flat and wondered why I’d never bothered to do it before.

I have been doing this for years.

smoggy
    Free Member

Folded shirt in A4 box folder. Done.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Roll it. Or take a stash to work.

TooTall
    Free Member

Five replies and none of them from the regular ‘shirt-shunning shabby IT support’ STW crowd? Blimey! A stash hung up at work is best, closely followed by the ‘fold in a box’ solution. However, A4 isn’t a big enough box for me 😥

sobriety
    Free Member

A company that I used to work for (huge oil and gas epc) had on site dry cleaning, was bloomin useful!

smoggy
    Free Member

Tootall……..there are benefits to being a short arse!

🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

CT non iron shirts folder to around a4 size and placed around everything else in the ortlieb. Collar on the top, body of the shirt tucked down the side of the bag.

damo2576
    Free Member

Get the washing place to fold rather than hang. Then just stick it in your bag.

rustler
    Free Member

Folded around an a4 mag, then rolled.
    And M&S “Travel” trousers stay looking good if folded & rolled the same.

miketually
    Free Member

I just ride to work wearing it and the rest of my work clothes, but it’s only a short 2.5 mile ride in to work.

hels
    Free Member

How about some of those special technical shirts that clean themselves. You can get underwear like that I have heard…

Stoner
    Free Member

I ride in my work clothes but its only a 4 mile roll downhill from paddington to Strand.

If Im staying over and need more shirts I fold them like in the shops and then roll them tightly from the bottom to the collar. Then they sit in the bottom of the carradice. When I get to the hotel I hang them up in the bathroom for the next morning.

I confess to the fashion faux pas of preferring light cotton blend shirts with button cuffs from M&S. I hate double cuffs and heavy Oxford cotton double stitched collars. Too uncomfortable to ride or fly the computer in.

StirlingCrispin

I ride in my work clothes too.
    Sometimes I just roll the shirt into a loose roll. Creases don’t matter – just look at how crumpled people look stepping out of a car.

For longer journeys, flights etc I use an Eagle Creek Pack-It 18.
    http://www.fruugo.co.uk/eagle-creek-packit-folder-18-rio-red-black-pacific-blue/p-992052?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product%2Bsearch

debaser

I’ve always quite liked the irony (igmc) of taking a freshly pressed shirt and sticking it in a bag made by a company called Crumpler. 🙂

Panniers and loosely rolled is the way to go though if you really want to avoid creases.

frogger
    Free Member

Fold and roll and put in top of Ortlieb bag. It doesn’t come out steam fresh but it comes out surprisingly good.

As soon as you sit down against a chair it will crease anyway so don’t about it too much.

stevie750

I wear a waistcoat to cover up an un-ironed shirt. The waistcoat lives in my drawer at work

michaellivett
    Free Member

I leave a travel iron in the office. Problem solved.

molgrips
    Free Member

When I did this I just folded carefully and kept flat. Although I usually went for easy care shirts or ones with a pattern to disguise creases a bit.

I am only in IT though so a shirt is only a token, when it’s required at all.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

molgrips in ‘barechested at work’ shocker…

nedrapier

I fold mine a bit like do in the shops, but without the card and as loosely as possible, so as not to crease the folds any more that necessary. then into a plastic bag, then into the backpack. any creases fall out within 15-20 minutes.

If you’re very bothered about the creases, you could bring in two shirts one day, wear one and hang the other up. From then on bring in one a day, but hang that up and wear the one you hung up yesterday.

I’d do that myself, but I’d give myself about 2 days before I decided I’d rather like a few more minutes in bed sack off tomorrow’s shirt until tomorrow!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I just pull my shirt tightly in my belt and push my belly out to make the creases temporarily disappear.

alfabus
    Free Member

<scuffy software engineer answer> T-shirt gets chucked in pannier along with my jeans and trainers. </ssea>

Dave

TiRed

I take them in two at a time, rolled around underwear and placed in a fairly rigid carrier bag inside a racktop bag or pannier. Hang them up in my locker at work and they serve for two days each. We do have nice showers though (plus free warm towels, bike shop on site, secure parking and get paid £1 per day… 8) )

ourmaninthenorth

I confess to the fashion faux pas of preferring light cotton blend shirts with button cuffs from M&S.

I’m similar – I also hate double cuffed shirts, and loath cufflinks scraping against the desk as I write. The cuffs wear faster too.

But I can’t agree on lightweight cotton..!

Oh, and I’m a folder – quick fold on the dining table in the morningand into the bag. Minimum time folded = less creased.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I either bring in a weeks worth of shirts if I drive in and hang them in my locker. If I need to take in shirts whilst riding I roll them up, stick them in a plastic back and carry them in a camelbak.

‘they serve for two days each’, mmm don’t think I would wear the same shirt for two days even though I’m not a sweaty type. Might give it a go and see if anyone complains about the smell.

ski
    Free Member

Roll 6 together (short sleeved shirts) stuff into a plastic bag, my rucksack is not 100% waterproof & take into work on a Monday, hang on hangers, take 6 mingers back to wash the same day, job done.

Well that’s what I have been doing for the last 8 years 😉

ericemel
    Free Member

Shirt service is a winner for me!

tomaso
    Free Member

The best thing is that after folding up said shirt I’ve still not changed out of my cycling top and its after lunch – stealthly slips to bogs to pop on shirt…

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Commuting and keeping your shirt crisp and neat’ is closed to new replies.