• This topic has 67 replies, 55 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by will.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Commuting.
  • nosemineb
    Free Member

Hands up, who rode today? and who didn’t?
    -4 with me today, thick ice all over the estate. I was out of the house early, ready to ride in full kit and decided against it.
    I feel weak!
    Ive got a very busy road commute which i don’t like even in good weather or un gritted rural back roads.
    My cars bust to, so tail between legs i asked the Mrs to give me a lift.
    Some days i feel its just not worth it.
    Hay hum 😕

Lifer
    Free Member

No.

Ankle still messed up 🙁

fadass
    Free Member

I did – not much ice on the roads, some of the ride is off road though which was great cos the grounds rock hard 😀 ……. cold though!

binners

I commuted yesterday. It was really nice in the morning. Perfect conditions. But it was a lot colder on the way back. Well below freezing. So much so that I had to stop a few times to get some circulation back in my feet. Despite Sealskinz socks, they’d gone completely numb and I literally couldn’t feel them 😯

I’ve taken the car this morning. The toasty warm car 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

convinced Jr that cycling to skool would be very cold this morning and that walking across the fields was a better call.
    Lovely and crispy under foot.
    Back now for a coffee, and then to work out what chores can be done that doesnt need anything to thaw out first…

weeksy

not commuting until it’s light at 6.20am.

nosemineb
    Free Member

Thats the rub, get in the car on the main roads and i think this looks fine. But, i hate cycling in good weather on the main road [a61 between Ripon and Harrogate].
    Looking forward to the bus journey home!
    Least i will be able to run tonight.
    Weve had it good for too long this winter except the wind of course.

nosemineb
    Free Member

I was on the bike at 5am yesterday [main road when its quiet] But the backroad home had me walking down 1 particular hill.
    No ones told me to Man up yet so im feeling better already! 8)

wors

I did, and yesterday. 😈

allthepies
    Free Member

Yup, -4 and lovely 🙂

Only 4 miles mind, but there was a beautiful sunrise.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

yes, yesterday and today. f*ck me it’s cold! Hands are just about defrosted now 😉

Bernaard
    Free Member

Commuted today.
    First day back on a SS rigid after months of gears and suspension
    Took a while to thaw out but otherwise crackin

Clink

-2 here – wary about ice but ok this morning. After a couple of hard offs on ice/snow last winter I’m not keen 😯

joemarshall
    Free Member

I did yesterday – water bottle was a slush puppy by the time I got in, and my gears froze up.

Today I’m working from home. BBC says that here (Derbyshire), it’ll get warmer by this evening now, supposed to be 12 degrees tomorrow!

Joe

nosemineb
    Free Member

12? woo hoo summertime! 😀

mrmo
    Free Member

16miles, computer was saying -3 when the battery died, Legs felt a little heavy, not sure whether it was the cold, but just couldn’t get any speed going, hence took a little over an hour.

I was certainly awake when i got to work!

organic355
    Free Member

Ive commuted everyday over the winter, except when I was off over christmas. It has been really mild this year compared to last year, and thats in Scotland. Bit frosty yesterday, but keeps it interesting on slick road tyres.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I did as the ice has gone from my route. Didn’t ride yesterday although I did walk 9 miles instead.

Some days i feel its just not worth it.

You’re right, after coming off the bike on ice just before Christmas I err on the side of caution now if there’s a chance of ice. I do have a nice new scar on my elbow/forearm though.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I did yesterday. Minus 2 where I am and was properly finger-numbing.

It was worth it though, it was the first ride for my brand new Orange Pure 7 frame which I built up at the weekend and everything went very smoothly. 😀

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Yep, yesterday and today zero or -1 “only”. First time it’s been cold enough to use a soft-shell jacket that I picked up in last summers sale without boiling up!

xiphon
    Free Member

-2 or so, down one side, then up the other of Ribble valley.

Nice sunrise when I got to the office.

GrahamS

Nope, thought about it, but it was a proper heavy frost. -6°C according to the car this morning.

Fair bit of my commute is along paths covered with mud and puddles – I suspect they are a tad slippy at the mo.

Might give it a go tomorrow.

binners

BB – Is it a Race Face soft-shell by any chance? I bought one last year in the sales. If its above freezing then its too damn warm though. Perfect for this weather. Its toasty warm, with just a light merino base layer underneath

will
    Free Member

Pfft not even cold in london 😆

bristolbiker
    Free Member

binners – no a dhb jobby. Agree though – it was spot-on with just a light weight long sleeve base layer underneath.

easygroove
    Free Member

8) +26c, left the house at 550am joined club ride for 30km commute, past Collaroy beach, long reef beach, dee why beach, manly and then to Harbour Bridge and in to Sydney CBD to work. Very pleasant – will be doing it again tomorrow 8)

marka.
    Free Member

Cycled to the station even though it’s -4ºC. Found that some scrotes nicked some copper off the train lines, so it was all chaos. Got fed up hanging around the station in the cold so made the executive decision to work from home today.

It’s cold and frosty here, but not particularly icy since it’s been dry. So I had no problems either today or yesterday even on narrow tyres.

samuri
    Free Member

I did, and yesterday. Colder this morning and definately more ice (rather than frost) on the offroad sections but I had no major issues.

theteaboy
    Free Member

Ran yesterday, rode today. Lovely!

Klunk
    Free Member

3 hours out on the bike this morning, glorious trails , glorious weather.

cupra
    Free Member

Didn’t today as it was only 0.3c but I did yesterday when it was -4.8c 🙂

brakes
    Free Member

me. on 23c tyres. frosty but no ice.
    breathing was difficult though and my shins got cold.

jonba
    Free Member

I did, it’s a bit cold but nothing serious. Compared to last year this isn’t even winter. -10C with a foot of snow is a difficuly commute, -3C is just a bit chilly. It’s been below zero up here since the weekend..

SiB
    Free Member

Yes, on the Wirral, but dont know how cold it was. Not as cold as last winter though when on numerous occassions I had icicles on my riding glasses when I got to the station.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Yes, but it’s only a few miles and it didn’t appear to be too icy. Proper hot aches in my hands when I got into the office though.
    As above, not worth it if it’s too icy.

T666DOM

This winter’s nothing, positively tropical compared to last year, think the coldest it got was -12. The bike was easily the fastest way to get to work, cars were getting nowhere in the snow.

crazy-legs

Not icy here but there was a cold wind. I was toasty warm in my thick gloves and Stealth jacket.
    Rode yesterday too, the off-road route on the way in as it was almost all frozen, was lovely.

windowshopper
    Free Member

Yes. -1C in Stockport.
    Minutes scraping ice off car: 0.
    Minutes sitting in traffic: 0.
    Number of sunrises enjoyed while riding through frosty fields: 1. 🙂

D0NK

Tired legs, a trip to the dentist later plus a dry forecast so I dragged out the road bike. Was nice, chilly but ice free. I just hope the forecast was accurate, no guards and a long ride.

robnorthcott
    Free Member

It’s just hanging around zero here, not gone much below even up on the hills. Some bits have been a bit sketchy in the mornings with frost cover, but not much actual ice. I nearly crashed on Friday mind – found some ice that I wasn’t expecting, luckily on the flat and not going fast. I rode quite gingerly across the high moor parts today, but it wasn’t too bad – few places I could have slid if I’d been silly, but nothing really dodgy.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Commuting.’ is closed to new replies.