• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by irc.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Commuter/tourer upgrade.. Any LHT owners?
  • grenosteve
    Free Member

I’m thinking of upgrading my Cannondale Badboy (26″ wheels, big tyres, rack and guards, v-brakes).

I love/hate the bike, it looks cool, I ride it most days, it’s cheap to run and bomb proof, but it’s also heavy,very stiff and not very comfy. I’m considering a LHT frame, as I like steel frames and surly in general, and everything will swap over.

Problem is, I don’t know what frame to get – standard trucker, disc trucker, 26″ , 700c???

The rim’s braking surface is worn out, so it could do with new wheels regardless (although I could get another winter out of the ones I have), so I could move to discs while I’m buying new wheels… but should I go 700c too? That means new tyres and guards and brakes, the cost starts to go up!

I’ve ridden road bikes, I know they feel fast, but I’m not sure on a loaded up commuter/tourer that 700c wheels will be better than 26″…

Anyone got any experience of 26″ and/or 700c LHTs? What would you do?

STATO
    Free Member

I love/hate the bike, it looks cool, I ride it most days, it’s cheap to run and bomb proof, but it’s also heavy,very stiff and not very comfy. I’m considering a LHT frame, as I like steel frames and surly in general, and everything will swap over.

I love Surly and have a 700c LHT and a Crosscheck. The LHT is designed as a tourer so not the most comfy when not loaded, just has a little bit of harshness due to the thicker tubes. Its a superb bike if your riding with at least one mostly loaded pannier all the time. I should have sold mine a few times but ive sold other more appropriate bikes in preference of the enjoyable ride of the LHT. Ive run a number of tyres, from 35mm Marathons to 32mm Compass super supple things, same result, just faster/slower.

My other commuter used to be a Surly Instigator (discs for offroad days), kitted out with 2″ mtb semi-slicks, rigid fork and mudguards. On the road without pannier it was more comfortable than the LHT (due to tyres, Instigator is a very stiff frame) but with Pannier the handling was poor and i enjoyed the commute much less.

You can get the LHT with 26″ or fit bigger tyres on the 700c (upto 42mm IIRC). If your happy with the idea of a tourer, i.e. relaxed not sprightly then id recommend one, they are not as fast as some, but not slow either.

andyh2
    Free Member

I’ve got a 26″ LHT and love it. Only used for commuting and some road / off road tracks riding so far. Looks a bit gawky as it’s a 60cm one, but I can forgive that for the comfort and generally wonderful feel.

Sort of wish I’d gone for the disc version, but I wanted black.

Running Panaracer pasela 1.75″ tyres and it can take 2″ Bontrager Muds and still keep the mudguards.

I had a 700 wheeled version in the past and liked it well enough, but definitely prefer the feel of the 26″ version, I think the smaller wheels liven it up a bit.

Feels like you’re in it rather than on it, if that makes any sense. I find it as comfy as an old school Dawes Galaxy with its skinny 531 tubes. I guess fatter, supple tyres are making up for any extra frame rigidity and it doesn’t feel all noodly with a load like the old Galaxy.

drovercycles
    Free Member

We have a hire fleet full of Disc and Long Haul Truckers, both 26″ and 700c wheel sizes in both… so whatever you’re thinking of, we probably have available to hire.

Feel free to come and have a go, or just give us a call if you want to discuss.

They’re all good bikes and I’d not agonise too much. If you want discs, go for it – wheel size is much less of an issue with the good quality narrower/lighter 26″ tyres you can now get.

ton

been running a lht, then a disc trucker for the last 8 years. just sold it for something a bit more desirable to me.
    but I found them fantastic. I am a big old lump, I would not ride one if I was a little lump.

porkscratching
    Free Member

It’s worth considering a Surly Pacer if you’re not intending to carry massive panniers.

I do everything on mine (commuting, audax, touring, pub etc.). I just did a 300 mile tour on it loaded with about 20 kilos plus my 95ish and it was fine. A lot more fun unloaded than a proper tourer too. Only problem is lack of rack mounts, but a Tubus Fly or similar can sort that.

ton

if you’re not intending to carry massive panniers.

that was my thoughts.

porkscratching
    Free Member

Ton – I’m 6’3′, have size 12 feet so my heels are pretty close, but it just about works. Its only a 58cm frame, but the chainstays are the same length on all of them so that problem stays the same.

Olly
    Free Member

6’4″ and ive got a 60cm Disk trucker in 700c.

Its rad. Super comfy, solid.

I think the 26″ wheels look gopping on the bigger frames, but fine on the smaller ones.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Don’t rule out the Spesh AWOL. Superbly capable bikes.

irc

I’m 6ft3, 17st and use a 700c 60cm Trucker. Even at my weight I’m not sure I’d choose it if one factor was a bike that wasn’t stiff. To be a stable load carrier the frame needs a bit of stiffness. In particular the top tube and downtube are a bigger diameter than steel road bikes usually are. The top tube is around 31mm whereas my old Dawes Galaxy had main triangle tubing in Reynolds 531 at around 28mm. Doesn’t sound much but as their geometry was otherwise very similar I put the tubing choice down as the reason the Galaxy was a nicer ride unloaded but felt a bit flexy loaded.

The Trucker unloaded is great on smooth roads but even at my weight the frame and fork are a touch stiff unloaded on bad surfaces. Add a touring load and it is a bit of magic though. Bumps disappear and handling remains steady and predictable at all speeds. I once strapped a 56 pound bag of coal on the top of the rack for a 3 mile ride back to the hostel and while I knew it was there the bike coped with it.

If it was my only bike I’d have no hesitation in picking my LHT. The slight drawbacks of the unloaded ride is more than outweighed by the predictable handling at all speeds and the great loaded performance. On 2009 era Truckers the paint and transfers weren’t great quality. They chip off relatively easily. No idea if things are better now.

Another bike to consider is the Spa Steel Tourer. Same price or less for a frame. I’ve a 57cm. Nice handling. Perhaps a touch faster than the Trucker. A bargain at £315 for the frame/fork. Only drawback is if you like wide tyres the Spa takes around 700×37 max with mudguards whereas the Trucker goes to 700×42. If you are anywhere near the Spa shop they have test bikes.

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b17s143p2984

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Commuter/tourer upgrade.. Any LHT owners?’ is closed to new replies.