• This topic has 44 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Commuters with cameras, have you used the footage?
  • allthepies
    Free Member

Thought I recognised the outlook, years ago I spent a year working in one of the buildings with various antennae on the roof 🙂

TiRed

When they used my Fly 6 as primary evidence, they dropped the light in an evidence bag whole at the scene, and I received the light back without memory card a couple of weeks later. This was for a fatality. Evidence chain is very important, it’s not strictly absence of technology, more knowledge that evidence has not been tampered with.

For a “talking to” response, it might be ok to upload to their own website. For something more serious, it will not be.

GavinB

I appreciate that. Although the reason I was told I had to burn it onto a DVD was that they didn’t have any way of viewing a Youtube, Vimeo, iCloud or other format. Slightly in desperation I suggested a USB pen drive, as I have a few kicking around that I never use (as Bez points out they are pretty toxic).

Anyway, I was particularly impressed at how quickly I was contacted, they came around to my house, took a statement, looked at the video and having seen it were happy to pursue it. Without the cameras, there is no way I’d have bothered.

40mpg

Any views on which is more effective – front or rear camera? And is a helmet mounted camera a more visible deterrent than bar/seatpost mounted?

Daughter bought me a faux-pro for xmas, thinking of starting commuting by bike so may as well get best use of it.

Bez

Depends 🙂

For me the main purpose of the camera is for evidence in the event of a serious incident. Most of my riding is rural where the main risk of such an incident, by a long way, is that of being hit from behind. So the rear camera is more often the priority for me.

In an urban environment that priority can often be different: one of the main risks is someone turning across you, for instance. And if you’re interested in recording less eventful things then a front camera may make more sense as broadly speaking it’ll capture what you see and remember.

Bike vs helmet mounted has pros and cons. Helmet mounted means you can aim it. It’s the better option if you want to cover the risk of someone getting out of their car and assaulting you. But it makes it hard to estimate distances and speeds, and of course it’s tricky if you don’t wear a helmet.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Commuters with cameras, have you used the footage?’ is closed to new replies.