Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Commuters recommend me a lock
  • elma
    Free Member

As in the title really not really a fan of the u lock would like something along the lines of a chain probably about 24″ with a substantial shackle.

So what’s the current favourites and would a u lock be better.

Thanks

wwaswas

Both 🙂

You can leave them where the bike will be during the day so just get the heaviest duty ones for what you want to spend

elma
    Free Member

Sorry forgot to add that the bike will be in different locations so the lock has to come with me.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    eddiebaby
    Free Member

Hiplok

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Bordo/Bordo X

jonba
    Free Member

Something from Halfords with the sold secure mark. Most locks will only deter or slow down a determined scrote so don’t leave expensive bikes chained to lam posts.

I now have secure bike racks so just use a simple cable lock to stop anyone walking in and picking it up if the gate is open. It has also worked in town when I pop into shops. When I used to leave my bike locked up outside A D lock through a wheel, the frame and around something solid was good but I also had a cable lock to double up. Cable lock also gave flexibility as D locks won’t go round fat things like telegraph poles and some lampposts.

STATO
    Free Member

As in the title really not really a fan of the u lock

I wouldnt send one a fan letter but they are the most compact thing for the job unless you are a cycle courrier locking/unlocking constantly and want to just throw the lock over your shoulder.

Kryptonite Evolution Mini is fine for me, additional cable used if i need to secure the front wheel too. Small and light enough to chuck in a bag or clips to my rear rack. The new-york extra strong version might be better if you have problems with u-locks being cut in your area, but in that case id just have a shit bike as its just as likely they will strip any good bits off a locked bike.

munro
    Free Member

+1 for Hiplock

kimbers

I would go for some chunky motorbike chains and leave them in various places you’ll be stopping.
    No lock is unbreakable, it’s all about deterrent imho

I go for security skewers and a decent d kock, have a knog bouncer which is smallish and not too heavy, but looks chunky, it is small tho so won’t fit round chunky posts

benp1

Abus Granit X plus 540 – one of the best you can buy

Plus a Knog Milkman for little add ons or doing the front wheel

D lock lives on the frame. Knog Milkman lives in my bike commuting bag

TiRed

Sorry you don’t like D Locks, but I would highly recommend a Squire Eiger in any size. I have had the original version of this Gold rated lock for many years and it has been faultless. Find me another Sold Secure Gold rated lock for £20. Mount it to the frame, or buy a compact version and £10 cable for front wheel. I noose lock the front wheel of my trike, through the other wheel and onto rear D lock.

DaveRambo

If you can wait a short while, it may be worth checking out Litelok

A kickstarter that’s about to deliver. Very light lock with a gold sold secure rating. You can pre-order now and the latest update has them shipping in a week or so.

They have videos on the site showing the security and weight – perfect for commuting.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Commuters recommend me a lock’ is closed to new replies.