• This topic has 12 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by ski.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Commuters – lights for on and off road commuting?
  • ski
    Free Member

First off sorry for yet another light question.

Does anyone use a light setup on their commute that can switch to road legal lights for road use, then switch to a wide bright setting for off road stuff.

Is there such a thing as a simple and preferably cheap lighting system that exists to do both?

My commute is split 50/50 with off road and on road stuff and I don't seem to be able to find a simple system to do both?

BTW – Been using cateye led lights for road use. Which are fine for road use and seem to last.

AndyP
    Free Member

Does anyone use a light setup on their commute that can switch to road legal lights for road use, then switch to a wide bright setting for off road stuff.
    no, I use a very bright setup for road use, and switch to less lighting for off-road.

ski
    Free Member

OK – thanks for that Andy???

DezB
    Free Member

I use bar mounted, intermediate Ay-Ups for commuting, then add a helmet mounted, narrow beam for offroad.

ski
    Free Member

Cheers DezB was it you from here, who was setting up a bulk buy on the Ay-Ups?

oddjob
    Free Member

I use a maxxlight joystick or whatever it is called and it is very very good, but not cheap.
    There are 3 brightness settings and a flashing mode for when you can see but want to make sure that others see you.

Again good, but not cheap. About the same cost as 2-3 tanks full of petrol, how many commutes to pay that? 🙂

crispedwheel
    Free Member

DezB – Member

I use bar mounted, intermediate Ay-Ups for commuting, then add a helmet mounted, narrow beam for offroad.
    +1 Perfect solution I found. With your 50/50 split just turn off the helmet light when you're on road.

crazy-legs

no, I use a very bright setup for road use, and switch to less lighting for off-road.

Very good Andy. 😉

In answer to the OP I use a range of little flashy LED things on road coupled with a helmet-mounted Diablo (usually flashing as well but I've had it on high (700 lumen) beam in the past!)
    Technically I don't think it's a road legal light but it gets me seen.

Off road, just the Diablo on high or medium.

DezB
    Free Member

ski – Member
    Cheers DezB was it you from here, who was setting up a bulk buy on the Ay-Ups?

T'was indeed. Should be arriving soon. Order was only for mounts and bit and pieces as postage of kits is free anyway.

btw, Someone was selling a MTB kit for a good price on the classifieds the other day.

Gary_M
    Free Member

There isn't really anything that works well for both although there is someone on here who uses a busch and muller ixon (I think) and it sounds good.

I use a set of niterider dual minewt x2's on low for the road plus some flashers and a troutlight for the very dark parts.

rolfharris
    Free Member

Light And Motion Stella- there should be a model that suits you, I use the 200 rechargeable and it's brilliant because it should easily last a week's commute without you even thinking about charging it. Lower power versions will obviously be even better for this and I find the 200 gives more than enough light for riding fast at night offroad.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have Lumi halogens with glow-rings on. I'm pretty sure they're road legal.

ski
    Free Member

superstar_opponents – Member

Light And Motion Stella- there should be a model that suits you, I use the 200 rechargeable and it's brilliant because it should easily last a week's commute without you even thinking about charging it. Lower power versions will obviously be even better for this and I find the 200 gives more than enough light for riding fast at night offroad.

How many hours do you get out of a charge superstar_opponents?

I know its a bit of a "how long is a piece of string question" but just want a rough idea 😉

I am doing roughly 6 hours a week commuting in the dark at the moment?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Commuters – lights for on and off road commuting?’ is closed to new replies.