Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Commuters; how many spare tubes do you regularly carry?
  • tillydog
    Free Member

Two – one in the back pocket for rapid deployment along with a pump on the frame under a bottle cage. Also a little saddle bag which always has a spare tube, park tool patches, CO2, tyre lever, chain link, tyre boot and multi-tool in.

Can patch tubes in the office if I need to.

Have not needed to change a tube (yet) since switching to 32c Marathon Greenguard tyres though. (I was previously on 28c Panaracer Gravel Kings and needed the quick access tube regularly.)

a11y

One tube plus patches (those Park self adhesive ones).

Keep track pump and a couple of tubes in the office though.

alisonsmiles
    Free Member

Normally one (I’m tubeless). Today due to a rucksack swapover error, none, not a pump, not a multitool, nada. I have a good knowledge of the train stations as my backup plan.

snownrock

1 tube and a set of quick patches but I’m road tubeless so never had need to use them, other than sharing with other stuck folk.

soobalias
    Free Member

erm, now that I think about it. none.
    slight oversight on my part, but since ive been back to regular commuting ive not……..

my mtbs are tubeless, so I don’t really think the p word any more

guess I better change that before Monday.

dazh

2 plus patches. Had numerous double punctures on the road. They come in clusters.

bgascoyne
    Free Member

2 tubes plus the stick on patches just in case. Glue ones take too long to dry. Used to only be one but learnt the hard way on that!!

jonba
    Free Member

It is only 6 miles and pretty rare I puncture. Easy enough to walk a couple of miles if the problem is at either end. Last time I got a flat I was on my way home, it was wet so I just rode the last mile on a flat tyre because I didn’t want to stop and faff. My commuting bike is a cheap old thing though so not too bothered about it.

ernie

Two tubes plus using slime inner tubes (loss of glass/flint in my route). Slime tubes work well but tyres feel hard and heavy, very little comfort in them now

ferrals
    Free Member

Tubless but still carry two tubes when commuting.. I’m normally carry a rucksack with lunc / chnage of clothes etc so no reason not to put a decent repair kit in front pocket.

Junkyard
    Free Member

2 plus instant patches plus a pump and a spare C02 inflator. I have never ever needed the C02 but started carrying it when my pump broke about 12 years ago fixing a puncture, I know the day I take it out is the day i need it!!

Junkyard
    Free Member

2 plus instant patches plus a pump and a spare C02 inflator. I have never ever needed the C02 but started carrying it when my pump broke about 12 years ago fixing a puncture, I know the day I take it out is the day i need it!!
    19 miles each way some off road and some bits are a long walk to a road.

larrydavid
    Free Member

2. Needed them both once this year

Ewan
    Free Member

One tube + puncture repair kit.

simondbarnes

2 whenever I ride (except mtb when it’s none or 1) plus some self adhesive patches.

(and just under 1000 at work!)

MoreCashThanDash

Carry one tube and patches

Keep one tube in the office

Have three decent bike shops within 10 minutes walk of the office, two of which have track pumps outside as well.

edlong
    Free Member

it’s the snapped chains that get me

also carry a small chain tool and a couple of quick links

benp1

1 tube and some patches. Only carry CO2 too, no pump

But I use marathon plus tyres, they’ve been reliable so far. 10 miles each way

hjghg5
    Free Member

One, but my commute is 5 miles and often easier to walk then fix it at home in the warmth/light particularly at this time of year. Loads of bike shops near work too.

mrblobby
    Free Member

No commute but usually ride a couple of hours each day while mrs B is at work (and would not appreciate having to recover me.) Carry one spare butyl tube, a set of glueless patches, and something that can be fashioned into a tyre boot. One CO2 and a micro pump/inflator combo.

Ride nice rubber all year round on the training bike (Gp4000s) with latex tubes. Only punctures I get are flint cuts, maybe 4 or 5 a year. Tyre boots essential. I’ve not been caught out yet, though I have punctured my spare due to a poorly positioned tyre boot and had to patch and inflate with a micro pump.

I have tried tubeless but it proved almost impossible to fit Pro One’s on my rims. And when I did get them on they had a tendency to unseat mid ride. And I didn’t much like the Pro One’s either.

Northwind

2. A decent one for me and a cheap one for throwing at randoms with punctures.

llatsni
    Free Member

7000km of commuting on tubeless and never needed to use the tube that’s in my bag. Two punctures I know of (could see/hear them) in that time, but the latex gunk fixed them both. I didn’t even need to pump up till I got home.

Must also mention that most of those km’s have been on schwalbe s-ones, which still have some life left!!!

tjagain

Cummuting?
    I carry a can of foam sealant. But its only a mile. When I was doing 7 miles I carried a tube- but also puncture proof tires which work so I never got punctures
    Also living in a city with black cabs if its unfixable I just get a cab home

tjagain

Northwind – Member

🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Learnt this lesson the hard way on a group ride a while back. The guy hadn’t brought anything with him, no tube, no pump, nothing. Gave him my tube which cost about 7 quid (was a fancy light weight one.) Said he’d see me right. Never saw him again 🙁

Now carry a cheap thick butyl tube as my spare. Partly for this reason and partly to reduce the risk of pinching a light weight tube when fitting. Works better with tyre boots and is easier to patch too if it does get a hole in it.

shifter
    Free Member

Two in Camelbak but not used since fitting Schwalbe Plus Tour Marathons, 26 x 1.75 ftr, and indeed ftw.

dissonance

When I commuted properly used to carry a pair plus a patches. Learnt a pair is best after taking both tyres out on a pothole.
    However after switching to armadillos they were mostly there for mental reassurance. With the weight of my laptop they werent much in the grand scheme of things.

ivantate
    Free Member

1 and puncture kit.

Only used it once in the last 3000miles. It was a snake bite

Need another tyre soon so might got up to 700×35 or bigger.

Basically because I keep getting heavier.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Marathon tires and use tubes, but:

bought 500 ml schwalbe doc blue and I fill a bit over 100 ml into each tube. After 1 year I throw the tubes away. Means the 500 ml are good for about 2 years. And set of new tubes every year.

Very rare: you run into some evil stuff and there is doc blue coming out of the tires… Don’t stop. Keep on biking a bit (like nuts. With panic in your face). Everything will be fine!

Extreeeemely rare: flat tire. Repair kit still works even with doc blue left in the tubes (bit messy so). But take some spare valves with in your repair kit – the doc blue sometimes makes them jam up.

sirromj

One tube, plus a patch kit. Used the tube once in about five years, never had to resort to the patches.

26″ wheeled mountain bike fwiw
    Snap (except for the 5years bit).
    Spec Slaughter Grid on front, Hutchinson Cobra Hardskin on rear.
    Rarely punctures even riding through broken glass and turd lined streets.

vincienup
    Free Member

One plus a repair kit with Conti GP4’s. I keep a couple of spare tubes and an old trackpump at work.

gowerboy

You tubeless people… If you have a puncture you can’t repair… Rare as it might be, when you put a tube in to keep going, don’t all the thorns that you have collected over the months that may still be be in your tyre casing just puncture the inner tube all over the place?

whitestone
    Free Member

@gowerboy – It’s not happened to me (yet) but it’s a matter of checking the tyre in the same way you would after getting a puncture when using tubes.

mrblobby
    Free Member

You’d just check the inside of the tyre for anything that might puncture a tube before putting one in, much like you do when replacing a tube,

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Commuters; how many spare tubes do you regularly carry?’ is closed to new replies.