Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Commuters; how many spare tubes do you regularly carry?
  • JAG

I commute to work twice a week on my road bike.

Yesterday morning I had a double pinch flat – and I only carry one tube 👿

Mrs JAG was NOT VERY HAPPY that I called her for assistance!

Needless to say I shall be carrying at least three tubes in all future commuting scenarios. Although I’m bothered by the redundancy of such a surfeit of tubes I’m not as bothered by that as by the bollocking I got for disturbing Mrs JAG’s morning routine 🙄

oldnpastit

None.
    Road tubeless.
    There’s also a track pump and some spare tubes at the office.

qwerty
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Kahurangi

One tube plus patches.

Also have Marathon tyres AND I’ve added Panaracer Kevlar guard puncture proof belt.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Only ever carried one spare tube when commuting.
    Still I was riding a proper bike (MTB) with slicks, so none of this snakebite nonsense.

ransos
    Free Member

None.
    Road tubeless.

I still carry a spare – not all punctures will seal.

Anyway, one tube for commuting plus patches plus puncture resistant tyres.

NewRetroTom

One. Not had to use it in 5,000 miles of commuting since I’ve been on tubeless, although I do need to use the tubeless plugs once every couple of months (quite a bit of glass on the cycle paths I ride on). At least the plugs are much easier than changing the tube as you don’t need to remove the wheel/tyre and all that faff.

shermer75
    Free Member

One plus patches

whitestone
    Free Member

1 tube, patches and puncture resistant tyres.

lunge

2, both crammed in a small saddle bag that lives on the bike. Debating adding a frame pump to my bike for full cover.

nickjb
    Free Member

None. Used to carry a patch kit and pump but when I moved to decent tyres I didn’t get a single puncture so stopped carrying anything about 10 years ago. Had two punctures since then. One was a huge nail. Luckily I was near a bike shop. One was very slow so made it home. Shortish commute, mostly urban so no big deal, Might use a different plan if it was longer and rural

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqcLjcSloXs[/video]

scruff
    Free Member

1 in saddle bag and 1 in my desk drawer. I use tubeless on my most used set but still put a hole in my tyre once that wouldn’t seal. Put tube in and couldn’t pump up as my pump was knackered 👿

2tyred

One.

Fixed wheel on Schwalbe Landcruisers. The commuter bike is always disgusting and has track hubs, so I’m never keen to remove a wheel.

The spare inner tube’s just a backup to the main solution – a length of gorilla tape wrapped round a decent mini pump. When I get a puncture, I find the hole and unseat just enough of the tyre bead to pull the affected section of tube out, patch it with a little bit of gorilla tape then reassemble. The actual fix (patch or new tube) can then be done at home. I’ve worked on that basis for years. Gorilla tape is amazing stuff.

tomhoward

None, but then each journey (up to 4 per day) is 3 miles or less.

Aristotle
    Free Member

1 tube + puncture repair kit

32mm Marathon Supreme tyres @70psi. Far better comfort and pinch resistance than narrower tyres.

Punctures are very rare, although when I did suffer a puncture the other week (farmer had cut his hawthorn hedge and left the cuttings on the track), I had left my pump at home…..

scaled
    Free Member

wtf, why wouldn’t you carry a puncture repair kit with you as well? It’s about 20 grams.

More often than not i’ll just fix the tube that came out than put the spare tube in. I’ll admit, that’s generally because I can’t remember the spare ever got fixed itself.

edlong
    Free Member

One tube, plus a patch kit. Used the tube once in about five years, never had to resort to the patches.

26″ wheeled mountain bike fwiw

prawny

One tube in a bottle on my bike, 2 in my bag, 2 in my desk drawer at work.

Twice bitten, five times shy.

Edit – Oh yeah, some stick on patches in my multitool case too. And I run a Durano Plus on the back.

Gary_M
    Free Member

2 tubes. But I commute 20 miles each way across a moor so don’t want to be left with a flat if I’m on the moor and still have 12 miles to go. I also keep one at work so if I get a puncture in the morning I have a spare spare.

joeditch
    Free Member

I’m running tubeless however still carry one for the just in case

ac282

2 tubes +1 at work. I don’t want to be stuck.

njee20
    Free Member

^^ this

Garry_Lager

Been on tubulars this past year so no tubes here – carry some tufo extreme sealant which I’ve had to use a couple of times, and has worked in each case.

reformedfatty
    Free Member

1, no repair kit – because I only ride in 5.5 miles each way

When I used to do 20 miles each way it used to be 2 plus a repair kit. Only once exhausted that following a mammoth 4 unrelated punctures in one sub zero temps winter day followed by a blow out after a bus pushed me into a pothole with a mile to go.

Walked the rest of the way, fuming.

TheGingerOne

Much quicker to replace than repair at the roadside – speed is important when commuting.

Lucky that I cycle past a halfords and Evans at halfway point – though only open for the commute home

nickwatson
    Free Member

None.

Tubeless tyres, even if they get punctured, take hours to go down, so you can get home on it.

I’m not sure I have any tubes that fit.

Obviously I’ll get 2 punctures tonight on the way home – looks a nice evening for a walk 😉

Nick

shermer75
    Free Member

Debating adding a frame pump to my bike for full cover.

It’s a good idea, there’s one on mine. It sits below a water bottle so not super visible, and there’s a reusable cable tie around it to make it a bit harder to grab…

jeffl

1 spare tube and puncture repair kit. Swap tube out at roadside and repair broken tube in the office. Will now be switching to my Marathons as the winter season and rain seems to increase the occurrences of punctures.

schmiken

I carry two tubes and a patch kit in a bottle tool kit on the bike. I also have a full size frame pump on my admittedly audax-y looking training bike (Kinesis 4S).

digger95
    Free Member

1. Panaracer strips in ‘normal’ 35c tyres.
    Had a puncture last week and realised a spare spare is a good idea, plus patches.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Marathon/ Durano plus for over three years (no flats). I didn’t carry any tubes tools for ages; although i am now. I don’t know how many tubes.

The shop at work does sell tubes, but cheap ones, and probbaly not in 28c.

Might stick one in the desk drawer – I’ve been caught out before: on a mountain bike and in my commuting bag was a 700 23c tube. Had to call for a lift!

Mister-P
    Free Member

I have two crammed into a small saddle bag that stays on the bike plus spares at home and at work.

andrewh
    Free Member

Two lurking in the pannier. The commuter bike is so heavy that it could easily be two bricks and I wouldn’t notice the extra weight.
    Only ever used both on one occasion, had a puncture and then the first tube I put in didn’t work (or I’d put it in badly and pinched it on the rim or something)

TiRed

One plus patches. And a spanner for the wheel removal and the default is an 80 mm valve because I swap bikes so often, the last thing you want is to be left with a tube you can’t inflate. If I puncture on the way in, I just patch it at lunchtime.

Tyres vary but are normally robust (GP4S today, tubeless Schwalbe Ones yesterday, Duranos on the trike) unless I’m racing midweek.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

it’s the snapped chains that get me

DezB
    Free Member

There’s one that’s been in my saddle bag for over a year. Tubeless so never needed it.

I do remember years ago having to call the wife for assistance as I had cheap (blue I think) Vredestein tyres – got a puncture and couldn’t get the tyre off!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

None – got those solid tannus tyres.

Roll OK, brake OK, want to follow road features a bit more than I’d like, but good knowing that I won’t get a puncture…

acjim
    Free Member

One tube, big puncture proof tyres (32c Ribmo at the moment), tubeless stuff in the tubes (not sure if this works but?) and some patches.

Will only repair if absolutely necessary!

Being stuck on a country road with a puncture in the dark and no way to get home is a bit of a disaster…

I’d love to go tubeless but not sure if my rims are up to it. (Mavic Aksium)

richmars

About 6, 3 of each size (I swap bikes between MTB and road).I haven’t used one for a few years, but if I reduce the number I know what will happen.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Commuters; how many spare tubes do you regularly carry?’ is closed to new replies.