Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Commuters – how best to carry a heavy chain?
  • iamsporticus
    Free Member

Hi

I currently leave my Kryptonite fahgettaboudit chain and lock at work to keep my commuter safe, its too big and heavy to lug around

Unfortunately Im about to switch my job such that I will be working random days split between two offices so will need to take my security around with me, once or twice a week I like to get in some sneaky miles taking the long way home too so it needs to be as low key as possible

So what would be the best way to carry a chain round with me without trashing the handling of my (road) bike?
    Or make me a mobile chicane for that matter

I currently have no luggage but am planning to buy something for light touring duties

Rear panniers or fork racks – anyone have an opinion?

Cheers

PS It has occurred to me that a second fahgettaboudit would cost the same as panniers and a rack – but I need the luggage anyway

TheBrick
    Free Member

Round waste or over shoulder diagonally. I have done round waste a lot and have never had a problem. I use a carabiner to make the chain the correct length for my waste.

chambord
    Free Member

Buy another one and leave it at the other office?

EDIT, oh just saw the P.s. at the end. Ignore the above.

sadmadalan

/pendant mode/ waist not waste /pendant mode

damascus
    Free Member

I once saw a decent bike lock that was designed to be carried as a belt. Can’t remember the name of it but it was pretty good. I’m sure someone will recommend one.

simondbarnes

Get a HipLock and wear it around your waist.

nickjb
    Free Member

Sometimes wear mine like a belt and it is ok. Always a bit worried I’ll lose the key but that hasn’t happened… yet. I’ve recently put a small rack top bag on the bike and it’s been great. Easy to drop the lock in or many other things.

isitafox
    Free Member

Another vote for around the waist or get a Hiplock

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Around a tyre for extra grip in snow? 😆

How about one of those Abus Bordo things, which can fit into a bracket on the down tube?

shermer75
    Free Member

Bung it in a cab

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

I have a hiplock gold.

It fits well, but as soon as I bought it I started worrying about crashing whilst wearing it and busting my pelvis.

It’s the same paranoia I have about my GoPro chesty. I spoke to a mtb “first responder” guy at Glentress who said he’d attended someone who’d fractured his ribs by landing chest first on his GoPro. oof.

kimbers

Buy another one and leave it at the other office?

this

SandyThePig
    Free Member

+1 for buy another lock … it’s what I’d do anyway

TheBrick
    Free Member

You will be able to find a story about anything if you ask the right people. If you took too much attention you would never ride a bike!

coatesy
    Free Member

After carrying mine through the house and up the road to the van for an away trip,I think i’m firmly in the ” Never mind the expense,buy another.” camp. Don’t underestimate how heavy it is once you’ve had it over your shoulder for a few minutes, it’s a very hefty piece of kit, not your average bike-lock chain.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Round waste or over shoulder diagonally.

Err no. Don’t. This can and does break bones when you fall off.
    Firstly don’t use a chain
    Get a good D lock and bungee it to the top of your rack.

kcr
    Free Member

A pannier will easily carry your lock and your other luggage, without compromising your handling.

benp1

Get a good D lock, then just leave it on your bike. Mine weight 1.5kg but once you get used to it you don’t really notice it. It lives on the bike

gummikuh

PEDANT!! oh dear.

Kahurangi

😆 I wonder if it was ironic?

jimdubleyou

What the hell kind of markup uses slashes this way?

Should be something like this…
    <pendant mode> waist not waste </pendant mode>

That said, I have no idea what “pendant” mode is – something to do with room lighting?

philjunior
    Free Member

I would probably just buy a second lock anyway for the convenience of not lugging it about. Also consider whether:
    a) a determined thief would manage to get through any lock.
    b) a less heavy but still bigger than most locks on other bikes lock would deter thieves from your bike a similar amount to your current lock.

When selecting what lock to add to your collection.

HansRey

i wrap my big chain lock around the seatpost/seat tube/ seat stay junction. Keeps the weight central. Also, I must be a fattie as I can’t fit mine around my waist 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I leave my lock at work, although TBH it’s probably not the best lock, just a Oxford ‘cable armored with metal cylinders’ type thing. Big enough to hopefully make my commuter less desirable than some of the carbon exotica in the bike cage. I do have a bigger hex-chain type lock but the key snapped off in the padlock!

I’ve also got a cheap decathlon cable lock for poping into shops which lives in a pannier.

I do sometimes commute on the road bike, or the mountainbike, but only on days where I don’t need to stop anywhere other than work, so that’s my solution. Commute on the commuter which is hopefully less of a scrote magnet, and if it’s anything else it’s only ever locked up with the big lock.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’m definitely in the ‘2nd lock’ camp – it’s what I did when I was in that situation. Depending on how secure your parking is does it really need to be that serious a lock in both places?

How about one of those Abus Bordo things, which can fit into a bracket on the down tube?

They’re good – we have them permanently on the Bromptons – but I’m pretty sure they don’t give the same level of security as a decent D lock.

STATO
    Free Member

I never understood the preference for massive chains over mini u-locks, but then I never leave my bike somewhere that’s a high risk area so maybe its different in other cities.

benp1

2nd lock at the location is fine, as long as you ONLY want to go to work and home

I find myself stopping at the supermarket on the way home, or dropping something off, or picking something up, stopping at a mates, going for a drink etc etc. Having a lock on the bike means you can do that without worry, it’s one of the reasons cycling to work is so excellent!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I never understood the preference for massive chains over mini u-locks

any lock is only a deterrent – they’ll all break with the right tools in worryingly little time. Usual advice is a chain AND a d-lock as few thieves come equipped for both.

I’m with you though – chains seem heavy and inconvenient.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I find myself stopping at the supermarket on the way home, or dropping something off, or picking something up, stopping at a mates, going for a drink etc etc. Having a lock on the bike means you can do that without worry, it’s one of the reasons cycling to work is so excellent!

Yup, I do that too, the solution is:
    1) Don’t do it on a bling bike, you wouldn’t go to Tesco’s in a Ferrari, park in the busy bit of the car park, and complain when it got doored. Similarly my commuter is a nice 531st touring bike, but probably invisible to thieves.

2) Light enough cable lock to put of the less targeting more casual thief. Think it cost about £4 from decathlon, and it’s coated in silicone so won’t make the frame.

If I was working in town I’d probably have a D-lock on the frame.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I wear an Abus Granit, xPlus. Fits my waist, has withstood an attempted theft.

kimbers

dlocks are great if you have decent racks to lock it too, chains are better at locking to awkward objects

i have go for chunk motorbike chains 1 at work and 1 at the station

at home for popping to the shops i just have a medium dlock

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Commuters – how best to carry a heavy chain?’ is closed to new replies.