Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Commuter pace
  • fr0sty
    Free Member

I’ve just started doing 9 miles twice a day 5 times a week and tend to go as quick as I can; asthma/fatigue etc considered.

Its about 15% traffic/town centres and the rest rural and B roads. I’m starting to see a trend in speed and heart rate etc and it got me curious about other commuters.

What’s your commute like and how hard do you push it?

trail_rat
    Free Member

15 miles – 230m climbing this time of year i sit about 15mph

In the summer i often take the good bike and no panniers or bag and that means i do about 20mph

Aristotle
    Free Member

15 miles each way. 2-3 miles/week.

I tend to spin it out on the way in and similar or fartlek/speed intervals on the way home.

imnotverygood

Meaningless if you are trying to compare speeds, because you have no idea what sort of bike they are riding or how hilly the route is.

fr0sty
    Free Member

@ imnotverygood – I think you misunderstood my post. I asked

What’s your commute like and how hard do you push it?

I was talking about terrain effort, not bikes.

I tend to do quite a lot of Z3 and 4 by the looks of it.

wiggles
    Free Member

My commute speed varies between “monday-morning-bimble” and “friday-hometime-sprint”

Mine is less than 4 miles a day though so dont ten to pay much attention to speed etc

climbingkev
    Free Member

20 mile each way, 300m ish of climbing…..always find myself gunning for the hour…. Occasionally I make it. I struggle to apply any extra structure, take it easy etc. I do enjoy the odd hill effort or lamppost interval mind.

lordmerchant
    Free Member

14 miles each way in the winter, 50/50 road and off-road, commuting pace is 12-13mph. Always slower in the AM than the PM interestingly.
    I have a summer road route of 18 miles each way which averages between 15-17mph. Both routes approx 900ft of climbing. I have noticed I have been getting slower lately 🙁

Dibbs
    Free Member

Just under 15 miles with about 1200 ft of climbing each way. If I do it in under 50 minutes I fall off the bike when I get to work and it takes me the full 12 hour shift to recover, so I usually aim for the 55 minute mark and probably nearer the hour during the winter when its cold and dark and the narrow lanes can be pretty slippery.

stu170
    Free Member

9 miles. On the way In I try to stsy fresh as to not sweat to save showering. The way home I gun it flat out

aP
    Free Member

My old commute was just under 20 miles each way, but with nearly 170 sets of traffic lights. I couldn’t get under 1hr5mins but normally it was between 1hr15 to 1hr30.
    But, as said above, there’s almost no sensible way to compare different commutes.

MoreCashThanDash

Usually 12 miles each way, at least twice a week, 50% on cycle paths or tow paths. Usually a few minutes either side of an hour. Go fast when traffic/pedestrians/energy/tramworks allow.

Wary of racing to beat times as I make errors of judgement that may have fatal consequences

jeffm
    Free Member

Pretty much flat (but often windy), ave around 18-19 mph and never leave zone 2 when commuting. Use it as base miles.

IanMunro
    Free Member

5 miles each way, country lanes, B roads, urban stuff. Tend to just cruise apart from a 400m sprint from a set of lights. Occasionally I’ll go fast, but then I can feel a slight increase in my stress levels if something holds me up, so I tend not to.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

5 miles each way. Mixture of path and roads. Half the journey is dragging a child trailer with a 3 year old inside. Average 14mph. I tend to cruise on the way to the nursery and then sprint like hell to work. Then vice versa in the evening.

mrphil
    Free Member

Old commute was 7 mile each way, 22-24 mins. 200m climbing, that was on a C456 with off road tyres.

New job is 4 miles away and takes 14mins there and 16 back. Only because of a horrible hill called Denhall Lane.

Vortexracing

During summer was doing 23 miles either way 2-3 times week and average was around 18MPH, although with a particularly good run (i.e. nearly killing myself with a coronary)I managed a 22MPH average.

psling
    Free Member

By road, 2 or 3 times a week about 16km each way; rural B roads with about 300m ascent/descent (approx. 50% undulating/50% continuous hill) on a road bike with 32mm tyres. About 24kph in, 16kph home (guess which way the hill is?!).

Steady minimal sweat ride in, knackered-after-a-day-at-work grind on the way home.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Commuter pace’ is closed to new replies.