Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Commuter lights with long run time
  • dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Now its lighter in the mornings and evenings it’s the ideal time for this post.[/s] I’m searching for some town/commuter lights for a friend. I’ve got a moon shield which is far brighter than they really need – I only run mine on the lowest setting at night and it’s still bright, even at its minimum though its only 7 hours run time. anything out there with a similar 20 lumen output on the rear but much longer run time? It’s all lit roads so mainly just need to be seen on the front light.

So front – 100-150 lumens, rear 20-30 lumens and as long as possible run times. For longer run times are AA/AAA batteries better?

amedias
    Free Member

dynamo!

^ that’s the real answer. But if you must go battery then remember that the lights with the best batteries are normally the brightest (they have to be to support full power), but if you dont need the power then they get very good runtimes on low power. I guess what I’m saying is don’t look for an average/lower power light with long runtime, look for a high power light with long runtime when on low power.

The Cateye Volt TL460/Volt 50 rear (50 Lumen) is a good option, my Wife has a pair of them and the rear is very very good, almost too bright, but does 8hrs on constant, but also has flash and ‘pulse’ modes which last even longer. The front and rear take the same battery module, and you can get additional battery modules for them if needed, USB rechargeable too which is handy.

eg this one for rear: http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/cateye-el-460-rear-light.html?gclid=CPzTpqm_wssCFcfgGwodwaQH-w

midlifecrashes

This will help with the run times:
    Shimano dynohub ready built wheel for £36!
    Plenty of other size and disc options too if you look at the other items they are selling.

trail_rat
    Free Member

what he said plus a b+m luxotec and toplight sense – or similar.

the ability to just jump on the commuter in the morning is awesome – no more forgetting to charge , getting caught out taking the long way and your lights go out etc etc. ….

mrlugz
    Free Member

I have a magicshine MJ-890 on the front and a cateye tl1000 on the back

the cateye batteries last for months, 2Xaa’s IIRC, and the MJ lasts me a week on my 1/2 hour each way commute. Set to flash.

CraigW
    Free Member

For a really cheap dynamo option, Reelights are not bad. Not bright enough for seeing where you are going, but OK for around town etc. And always there, bolted in place, they switch on whenever you are riding.

jacob46
    Free Member

Exsposure

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

As above, dynamo is the answer. It can be done quite cheaply if you scout round, but I’ve got 2 of the best dynamo lights* you can currently get your hands on on different bikes and for road use I’m 100% converted.

*Busch & Muller Luxos U with USB charging and their new IQx. Both mated to Brake Plus rear lights that have a brake light too.

superleggero
    Free Member

MTB Batteries Lumenator for the front – 50 hours on 10% mode. Fine for commuting duties

http://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/mountain-bike-lights/the-lumenator/

trail_rat
    Free Member

problem with long battery lifes i find is – i often forget when i last charged them which means i end up forgetting to charge them till i get half way home and find i have no battery.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

yeah, i’m the same as trail_rat.

I think AA/AAA’s are better for long life, because you can just keep a spare set in your bag, rather than have you light die half way home because you can’t remember when it was charged and the charge indicator is rubbish.

Although clearly the best thing is dynamo, which is what i use now.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

So, in the end I went for the cateye volt 300 and the rapid x rear. If I remember correctly the front does 18hrs on low and 60 on flashing. The rapidx rear is 30 hours flashing. Also regarding the low battery, that’s slightly solved by cateye having a thing where when it drops to a certain level it changes to flashing mode to get you home. So I’ll recommend low mode on the front and then when it starts flashing take both off the bike and charge them. 18 hours is a decent bit longer than the <5hrs a lot seem to do.

The dynamo, although I can certainly see the benefits, wouldn’t be suitable on the slightly tatty bike that’s in use. and I’ve got a lumenator too so can see the benefits of that, the separate battery would be extra hassle I think in this situation.

Thanks all, opened up some good ideas there.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Commuter lights with long run time’ is closed to new replies.