Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Commuter… 19 miles each way with laptop/bag/kit.
  • weeksy

Right,

So i’m thinking as part of the fitness/weight/training i should commute more … I only go to the office mon-wed anyway… so no reason in theory i can’t do 2 of them…. Say mon and Wed.

It’s 19 miles of mostly back lanes… with a bit of town in there to finish off on the way in… but that has cycle lanes most of the way anyway.

I’ve currently got an Isaac carbon road bike, Parkwood and a Whyte T130… So none are really suited to pannier/rack duties.

I was thinking something along the lines of a CX type bike… but don’t know if it needs to be specific to carry the bag etc.. Or if you can put mounts/kit onto most bikes etc ? Really not sure on this, so that’s more the focus of my question. I’ll be carrying the laptop, shoes, clothes, so it comes in at a bit more than i like to carry in a rucksack, along with the fact i sweat lots, so the bag gets soaked/smelly quite quickly. Hence the thoughts on the bike fitted carrier.

i’ve done the commute on 29ers before, so i could use the Parkwood of course… but only really if i can fit something to carry the laptop/stuff.

There’s things like the Focus Mares (advert on here) that’s coming in at £300, which is perfectly reasonable for a bit of a ‘whim’…. I don’t want to be crossing the £500 mark on budget though that’s for sure.

pdw
    Free Member

If you’re buying a new frame, it’s definitely worth getting one with proper rack and mudguard mounts. A true CX race bike typically won’t have either, and looks like that’s the case with the Mares.

For racks, you’re looking for eyelets on the rear drop outs, and mounts on the seat stays.

weeksy

Mudguard mounts are not an issue.. if it’s wet, i’m driving in.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’ve got panniers, but this morning i carried the laptop in a backpack. Panniers get bounced around a lot, especially dropping off kerbs/hitting potholes etc.. not sure it does the laptop much good.

sockpuppet

There more to mudguards than the rain: most of the winter the roads are damp enough to cover you and your bike with enough sludge to make a real difference.

Plus, if you only go on days you can guarantee to be dry both out and back you’ll be limiting yourself massively.

You can get some pretty unobtrusive guards now: if you’re serious about commuting, i’d definitely give them some thought.

benp1

Proper CX bikes are designed for CX. You’d be better off with something like a gravel bike

My arkose is being used as a commuter – full mudguards, rack, D lock etc

For a distance like that I’d definitely want the stuff on the bike, I hate wearing a rucksack. I use an Altura Morph rucksack as a proper bike laptop bag. But I also use put my laptop in the side pocket/pannier on my Topeak Rack Pack – e.g. home to work today like this, took laptop home on Thursday on my Brompton

pdw
    Free Member

There more to mudguards than the rain: most of the winter the roads are damp enough to cover you and your bike with enough sludge to make a real difference.

This. It’s not the stuff from the sky you want to worry about – that’s clean. Not sure what the back lanes are like were you are, but round here they’re wet more often than not for about half the year.

disco_stu
    Free Member

A Carradice saddlebag would be ideal for this with the SQR seatpost mount, when not in use you just get a small plastic block on the seatpost.
    I’d also recommend mudguards and Marathon tyres if your commuting.

ransos
    Free Member

Agreed. Wet roads spray water at your feet and backside: guards make a huge difference to rider comfort in winter months.

whitestone
    Free Member

+1 to what Ben says – something like the Pinnacle Arkose or Genesis Croix de Fer are ideal commuting bikes: they’ll take decent sized tyres (the CdF has 32C for example), full length mudguards and have mounts for panniers. Also look at fitting dynamo lights – not having to worry about charging batteries is great!

There’s quite a few (understatement) threads about commuting: basically leave as much as you can at work. I only need to take t-shirt and underpants for example, everything else is either under my desk or in one of the drawers. I get everything I need into an Ortlieb 4L seat pack. Having to take a laptop means this isn’t an option though. Carradice do an SQR bag that could take a laptop – depends on the size of the laptop – I’ve done a week’s touring in the Hebrides with one so you can get a lot of stuff in them. They look a bit naff though.

wzzzz
    Free Member

If you drive one of the days, take enough clothes and shoes and leave them.

Get a macbook air instead of a monster Dell.

Take the road bike. 18 miles each way on a cheap commuter bike is my idea of hell.

Or buy a “winter” bike that will fit decent guards. will the laptop fit a frame bag?

sundaywobbler

Mudguards are a revelation! Once you’ve used a bike with them you won’t go back. Dry feet (well damn near almost) and a much cleaner bike as well as a much cleaner and drier you means they are just wonderful. Can be right fiddly things to fit, get right and look nice though… Trust me though once you’ve used them you won’t go back.

As for bag, I am a recent Carradice convert from years of rucksack and they are great, SQR mount is really very good for holding and mounting the bag. Get a slim and your laptop will fit and no need for pannier rack.

As for distance, I do about 12 mile each way (5 days a week) and regularly make it longer, once you’re moving and warm it is great and I actually feel guilty when I don’t cycle in (although that is rare nowadays)

prawny

discostu is right, I use a carradice SQR Slim which you could probably fit a laptop in (I’ll check tonight) I carry a tablet to work most days.

When I crashed on friday it would have been nad news for anything in a pannier, but being in the middle was nice a safe.

It’s also got the added advantage of being able to use on any bike with a normal seatpost.

weeksy

laptop is 35cm x 24.5cm

prawny

According to the website SQR Slim is 29x36cm so should fit snugly.

keithb

I Would definitely go for some sort of Carradice. I Have a Nelson Longflap that I commuted with for years. Barely noticeable when sat in the saddle (as the CoG is close to your own) but does affect out of the saddle efforts. No more than panniers, just differently.

flange
    Free Member

Rather than buy something you’re going to hate riding, why not just use your road bike for now? Especially over that distance and possible frequency I’d be wanting something nice and quick.

I normally ride a GT Grade (mudguards, carradice) to and from work, however this morning I used my Crabonz road bike with a backpack. Yes its filthy, yes I’ll need to clean it at the weekend but what’s the point in having stuff if you’re not going to use it. Ride in this morning was much faster than usual and much more fun (well, as fun as -4 can be). Additionally if you want to race, you’ll be used to the position of your roadie rather than needing a few weeks to adopt to the ‘new’ position.

Get a decent backpack, stick the laptop in there. Use your road bike. Keep a stash of shirts and trousers at work so you don’t need to carry them to and from the office. Have them cleaned near work (its not expensive). This reduces weight on your back – just carry clean pants, socks and wallet. And your laptop if you really need to (although I’d be looking at ways to leave it at home/in the office).

NZCol

These work quite well (used to be called Freeload until they sold to Thule). The will fit on most bikes. I’ve used mine to carry laptop etc on Cx. Road and MTB.
    https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/bike-accessories/rear-bike-racks/thule-pack-n-pedal-tour-rack-_-pp_100016

weeksy

Rather than buy something you’re going to hate riding, why not just use your road bike for now? Especially over that distance and possible frequency I’d be wanting something nice and quick.

It’s quite focused, i was thinking of something a bit more comfy along with some slight bigger/nicer rubber. On the road the Isaac is undoubtedly quick… but it’s very harsh too.

weeksy

These work quite well (used to be called Freeload until they sold to Thule). The will fit on most bikes. I’ve used mine to carry laptop etc on Cx. Road and MTB.
    https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/bike-accessories/rear-bike-racks/thule-pack-n-pedal-tour-rack-_-pp_100016

Horrific.. but very functional 🙂

benp1

Carradice SQR Slim will fit your road bike. I have one of these too, but I prefer using my pannier and rack pack.

The mount for my Carradice is on the seat post of my Brompton currently, makes for handy extra capacity if I ever need it

flange
    Free Member

It’s quite focused, i was thinking of something a bit more comfy along with some slight bigger/nicer rubber. On the road the Isaac is undoubtedly quick… but it’s very harsh too.

Hmm, I suppose it depends on what you want from the ride. If you’re ‘only’ doing it once or twice a week, then I’d be inclined to put up with a bit of harshness and enjoy the pleasure of smashing along at a decent lick. Anything for the budget you’re looking for is going to feel pretty hard work twice a day over that distance – it’ll be pretty heavy, have pretty heavy wheels and normally for that sort of budget it’ll feel pretty harsh anyway. Its different when you’re commuting, especially when you’re sat at your desk and just want to get home.

Below are pics of the two bikes I use, normally the Grade (shown without carradice) and every now and again the carbon bike. I’m running GP4000’s in 28mm on the Grade which makes it about as comfy as its going to get (without sacrificing speed). Even then, its still not as nice as the Neil Pryde as the frame isn’t massively forgiving. However you can pick up the flat bar’d version pretty cheap if you’re that way inclined.

The (tescos value) carbon bike uses 25mm Schwalbe ones at 100psi – its skittish (especially at the moment) and fairly harsh, but over my 16 mile commute its 6 minutes quicker and I don’t feel any more knackered that I normally do.

Oh, and regarding fitness and weight loss, I’m a stone lighter (despite eating everything in sight) and quicker than I’ve been for years since I started commuting on the bike. Been doing it just over a year now…

weeksy

The actual time both getting to work and getting home are not terribly important. But i do get your points…

flange
    Free Member

Get a Carradice and give it a try on the carbon bike. If you enjoy it/find its doable, get something specific for the purpose. I’d suggest either a Mason Bokeh or an Open UP so you can win the bike shed..

(I’ll stop lecturing now, soz!)

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I try to ride in once a week, its 25 miles each way. Haven’t done much for the last couple of months due to work and family commitments requiring that extra hour of my life.
    When I do, I use a pair of Altura panniers. Clothes and lunch in one, laptop (Dell M3800) in the other.

I ride my On One Ti-Cross which I built for the LEL 4 years ago. 28mm Conti GP4Season tyres, full mudguards, dynamo lights, pannier rack. Nay bother.

weeksy

I’d suggest either a Mason Bokeh or an Open UP so you can win the bike shed..

LOL i don’t park my bike downstairs, it goes next to my desk 🙂

philjunior
    Free Member

As you’re getting something specifically to commute on, get something with rack and mudguard eyelets.

Give riding in the wet a go – it’s not that bad you know, particularly if you have mudguards on (for instance, everyone else’s recollection of RTTS seemed to be wetter than my mudguard clad recollection).

You can save the fast road bike for when you don’t have stuff to lug in.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Actually this is the perfect excuse for n+1

Get an “adventure” / “gravel” bike, run 40c+ tyres tubeless and mudguards. I’d still stick the laptop in a frame back rather than hung out under the saddle to keep the weight centred and leave clothes at work when you drive.

You can then use it for adventures at the weekend, and occasional CX race.

However before spending for a while I would try it out, commuting is not for everyone and it could ruin cycling for you.

petec
    Free Member

I cycle in occasionally in the summer; once a week at least.

It’s at least 25 miles, with about 700m of climb each way. Loads of short sharp hills.

To make it nice and easy for me, I drive in, leave the car at work and cycle home. Then next day I cycle in, and then drive home.

Works for me. We have a secure compound, so the car is probably safer here than at home, it means I’m not too knackered at the end of the day. And because you’re only doing one way, it doesn’t really feel like a commute. Makes it more fun.

Also means there’s a car to store clothes/laptops and the rest. Means you don’t have to carry it in.

ransos
    Free Member

I’d suggest either a Mason Bokeh or an Open UP so you can win the bike shed..

I have a Mason and I think it’s far too nice to leave in a bike shed.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Commuter… 19 miles each way with laptop/bag/kit.’ is closed to new replies.