Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Commute route needed- Bromsgrove to Redditch
  • Alex

New project kicking off next week. Looks like a commute might be possible from Bromsgrove station to near Redditch (Ipsey, near B98 0TD). It seems there is the ‘old’ no dual carridgeway road if I can get out of BG and take this. Called Brockhall lane from what I can see on the map.

I’ll be on the CX bike so bit of woodland, etc a possibility.

Any advice gratefully received.

z1ppy

I can’t say for certain, but from my days of looking for green lanes there not a lot between BG and Redditch off-road wise (to use as direct routes).
    Also I’d consider going straight into the lanes from Bromsgrove towards webheath, rather than toward Tardebigge, unless you looking to purposely add miles to your commute.

Once your into Redditch it’s a different story, it’s got lots of cycle friendly paths, and has a surprising amount of small woods and copses to explore, nothing too rad so your CX would be fine.
    Not that it’ll be obvious, as the place is a maze, and can take a bit of time to figure out…

I regularly do a 15-18mile loop of the town, taking in most of the woods, as friends live over that way. I know of locals who will drive out of town rather than ride there, but it’s better than nothing & is on their doorstep.

MrTall
    Free Member

I live in Bromsgrove and there are plenty of quiet country lanes out to Redditch way. You could also jump on the canal if you want although you’ll probably have to get off at Alvechurch and get back onto the lanes. The nearest point to get to the canal from the Station is at Tardebigge which is around 1.5 miles up the road. Actually, thinking about it, it’s closer than that as you can nip up just past the rugby club and join it where the old Engine House nightclub was (now a private property).

Just have a look on google earth and you’ll see all the area that’ll be of interest to you as BG-Redditch is only around 8 miles anyway.

Alex

Great. Thanks. I’ll go scope it out once I have my feet under the table.

MrTall
    Free Member

Also, if you can track down Votchy off of here, he lives in Ipsley and rides all the cheeky offroad stuff in the area.

I’ll see if i can find him…..

Houns

I used to commute Stourbridge to redditch. The most direct route is the B4096 which you’d join after riding up the 4184 from the station, it’s the route colleagues of mine who live in bromsgrove take.
    I’d then go down towards sainsburys, through the carpark under the A441 and pick up the bus route. From here I’m sure someone more local can tell you how to get on the path that takes you through arrow valley all the way to your work. I never rode this as the bus route took me all the way to work (halfords)

Alex

Thanks again. I’ll see if I can contact votchy. Getting in would need to be direct but coming home could definitely be extended. I need to get the train back to ledbury (and then 10 miles from there to home) but a couple of extended commutes a week in spring/summer feels like a winner.

votchy
    Free Member

Hi Alex, you doing work at GKN or Ipsley Court? Most direct route from BG station is up through Finstall on the Finstall Road B4184, right on to Alcester Road B4184, right on to Hewell Lane B4096 to Foxlydiate then pick up the dual carriageway down to Lodgepark, come off there and take Watery Lane to the bottom of Ipsley Church Lane and up to the top there. There are plenty of little bits of cheeky trail as Zippy refers to but they can take you a long way out of your way, none of it would pose much problem on a CX bike

votchy
    Free Member

*Slight Hijack* z1ppy, give us a shout next time you’re over this way, never really explored too much of the cheeky stuff

z1ppy

tends to be alternate saturdays (if that works for you), over my way this weekend IIRC, but will drop you a mail

Alex

Votchy thanks. I’m at ipsley court. Just mappeed that route, makes sense thanks. Shall check out cheeky stuff later on.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Commute route needed- Bromsgrove to Redditch’ is closed to new replies.