Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • commute in tomorrow, heavy snow , what tyres?
  • MicArms

Right, need to go to work tomorrow so slacking it isn’t an option, thing is have heavy snow forecast for the west midlands. Missus has/ needs the car.
    20 mile commute @ 04:30, what tyres? currently have conti 1.5 inch slicks, or bonty 1.95 semi slicks or full on WTB v’rapters? erring towards the semi slicks… advice please..

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

20 miles in the snow, on a bike? Would not go, work is not that important

ourmaninthenorth

I’d be thinking more about what shoes for pushing your bike through the snow….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Knobblier the better.

Nick

it’ll be the wrong type of snow whatever you do

mud-dodger
    Free Member

after trying 10 miles on Monday with a set of 1.5 nimbus I’d definately recommend nobblies….
    snow is no fun with no grip.

Drac

Just where are you going to get the tyres from at 7.30 at night?

ski
    Free Member

You might find the going harder coming home Mic, once its been churned up and frozen into ice.

Is it mostly roads or can you link some fun stuff?

I would be tempted to stick the v’rapters on.

Agree with rock, if its that bad might be better off at home 😉

[there’s me nursing another bruise after finding a nice bit of black ice on my commute home tonight]

aP
    Free Member

Big volume low pressure will be good – and Mick you’ll get fit as well!
    Where do you have to get to?

MicArms

Raptors are already on my inbred, getting home is not a issue, work will stick me in hotel for the night. All road miles, unless I get up a bit eariler and do 7 miles along the canals, so I’ll pass on that I reckon.

aP
    Free Member

Is it freezing up there? If so you could put the 1.5s on and ride along the cut.

ski
    Free Member

That’s where I had my off tonight Mic on the Wor-Bhm canal, should have stayed on the roads, which were clearer!

You live and learn……….

easygirl

i commute to work daily
    dont want to be a kill joy, but saw a video today of a cyclist killed by a lorry, it completeley shredded her, think she was hit by every wheel, and there were 14 of them
    scary stuff, shit myself coming home tonight, certainly wont be riding in the snow on a road
    terrible really

aP
    Free Member

On a slight side note I’ve just discovered that the Batham’s 8 is now the 11, and a lot further to cycle.

speaker2animals

I went out on 2.1 inch Conti explorers pumped to 50psi last 2 days. I think it better to be able to cut into the snow than float on it. Didn’t experience any problems even on ice.

I know that to do 20 miles it would be better for commute to ride fast tyres. How about Knobby front and semi on back? From forecast though I think better safe than sorry and go full knobby.

singlespeedstu

On a slight side note I’ve just discovered that the Batham’s 8 is now the 11,

Funny that. I thought it always used to be the Bathams 9 😉

aP
    Free Member

Well it was in 1990.

radoggair
    Free Member

where glasses as well. coming home the other day on my road bike through few inches of snow, the grip wasn’t really an issue, although there was none, the snow hitting my eyeballs on the other hand was blinding me for about 10 secs at a time, that was the worst of it. Also took me about 25 mins extra to do my commute because of the conditions ,and my commute is about 20 miles each way. Be prepared for a little longer on the bike and wrap up

singlespeedstu

You must have missed one then.

lightweigh… 😀

snakebite
    Free Member

mon and Tues, my Rat stayed put and I commuted on the Soda with 2.5 ‘Wet’ Earls…..took a while, but was actually good fun Mon on the virgin snow, by Tues the Ice made it tricky….today was back on 4 season conti’s….tomorrow is car day cos its Thurs nightride time!

aP
    Free Member

Are you sure you weren’t seeing double near the end? 😛

imnotamused
    Free Member

Go to bed (since you need to be on your way at 4.30), stop worrying about tyres and when you wake up have a look outside.

If you’re snowed in, don’t go to work, if its ok get on your bike with any tyres and ride as carefully as you can.

Sorry I can’t offer you a constructive tyre choice but if you start worrying about what tyres to put on your bike IF it snows tonight you’ll drive yourself mental!

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Its now Bathams 10. Only a fool would attempt to get out to the one just outside B-y-C to make it 11, surely?

aP
    Free Member

It’d be like entering the Ironman, but with more irony

elaineanne
    Free Member

go on train !lol

MicArms

and get there for Saturday?

BigDummy
    Free Member

I did a 20-mile round trip on Schwalbe Marathon 2″ slicls on Monday. Twas fine.

Good luck!

🙂

MicArms

Just had a peek outside , just an inch so far. Finishing off my brew and I’ll be off. Tar ra a bit!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Did my 20 mile commute on Tuesday, 10 miles of which was through thick snow. This was on my cx bike with road tyres on. Going in a straight line was fine but turning was difficult. The snow was soft and fresh so it was okay but hard work. By home time the snow had frozen solid and was pretty much unrideable. But an inch of soft snow will be fine, just hope it doesn’t freeze for the trip home.

MicArms

Just got in, 2hours 5 mins compared to a normal 1hour 15mins..

First 12 miles was quiet back roads so virgin fresh snow to get thru, loverly and soft, last 8 was single carriageway with building traffic so hopped onto the pavement for a safer option. Get in to find the rest of the shift have phoned in saying they can’t get in..m1arms

MoreCashThanDash

1.95 Trailrakers got me in past 8 miles of stationary traffic this morning – 2-3 inches has fallen since 5am.

I can’t stop smiling!

stratobiker
    Free Member

Sounds great Mick. Plus you’re a winner all round.

You’ve had great fun riding to work, it didn’t matter if you were a bit late, and ‘cos the rest didn’t show you’re a hero. 😆

hero = madman 😉

scruff
    Free Member

I just walked in through reception with my helmet under my arm and Hi Vis vest on, everyone was amazed at my masculinity for riding my bike in this morning. Then I told the receptionist I was on slick commuter tyres, and the snow wasnt as deep as the other day yet. :HERO:

Del

Mick – you never said what tyres you used!
    i’m guessing knobs

MicArms

Glad I took the pavement option too, passing a HGV going up a gentle slope after an island as he wheelspun and then slid backwards about 15 yards..Oh how I laughed.

votchy
    Free Member

Missed a good one over Clent last night mate, Cheeky Trail was about 8 inches deep!!! BTW my recommendation for tyres based on the last 2 rides in the snow is big fat ones at low pressure, running the Nevegal/ Blue Groove 2.3’s at 25psi, griptastic, have a spare pair if you want to borrow them for the trip home 😉

MicArms

Scruff, can I get your autograph?

scruff
    Free Member

Mick, I will send you a signed photo and some used underwear.

MicArms

yes please, don’t worry about the pic.

MicArms

(rubs wang furiously)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘commute in tomorrow, heavy snow , what tyres?’ is closed to new replies.