Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Commute – Amersham to the City
  • hunta

Does anyone have to do this for their weekly grind? How awful is it? I’d be looking at travelling during peak rush hour (arriving near Bank station at around 8.45am, leaving again around 5.15pm).

I’m assuming Liverpool St Met line all the way, rather than the Marylebone train and crossing town…?

DrJ

I do part of that (Met line Uxbridge-Finchley Rd) and it’s as much as I can stand. To be honest, the Met line is one of the more comfortable lines, and it’s rarely broken, but still …Good luck 🙁

soobalias
    Free Member

what you need is a fixie.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stumpy01

The TFL journey planner reckons on 1hr 5mins from Amersham to Bank.

How far do you have at the start & end of that journey?

I went to uni in Uxbridge & some of the time I was there I spent commuting from Wembley to Uxbridge on the Met line, which is quite a bit shorter.
    A mate of mine lived in Amersham for quite a few years, so I am familiar with the line out that way – it is quite a long slog.

It would be a bit of a chore in my opinion, but saying that in the last 6 or so years I have had a 120 mile round trip commute by car & currently 80 mile round trip by car – so I don’t exactly make it easy for myself.

I would think that so long as you keep yourself occupied on the train, it wouldn’t be too bad. Would you be able to do any work on the train, or perhaps work from home for one day/week?

Have you looked at the cost of a season ticket? The Dad of the friend I mentioned above worked in a book shop on Baker st, so commuted from Amersham everyday. I think his annual rail ticket was about £3500 and that was years ago.

br
    Free Member

Did Aylesbury into Central London for years, decent service.

Hard bits will be getting a seat at Amersham and then walking to Baker Street rather than Marylebone tube.

The train is so much quicker than the tube.

lunge

Chiltern Railways services are pretty good so I would use the “real” train if you can, it’s only 35 mins to Marylebone.

You’ve then got a few options, you can then either get on the Barkerloo line at Marylebone and change to Central at Oxford Circus or walk to Barker Street and get either the Metropolitan line all the way to Liverpool Street or get Jubilee to Bond Street and Central to Bank. Or you get just get on a Boris bike, it’s doable in 40 mins quite easily.

I do a similar route quite a lot as I get into Marylebone and go to Chancery Lane. It’s not too bad in my eyes, not too bad at all.

Alex

What b r said (hi Bruce!). I took that route from Stoke Mandeville for about five years. Tried driving to amersham and getting tube but so slooooow. Obviously the alternative is Chiltern Railways – a company well known for having an aspirational timetable.

Maybe CR has improved since my day then Lunge. They used to be dreadful!

benp1

my mate does a very similar commute every day (Rickmansworth to the City) and he seems to get on fine with it

As far as tube lines go it’s a pretty good one

I actually thought you were going to cycle it!

Rio

I used to do Wendover to the city regularly. The Chiltern line bit was fine but the underground wasn’t so I used to vary my route (tube/bus/walk) depending on how I felt, the weather and which bits of the LU were broken on that particular day. You soon learn what works best for you. Podcasts and books just about preserved my sanity.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Commuting is a habit and a compromise, bigger place outside London and close to your leisure activities vs shirt commute by living inside London with understanding that it’s never likely to be much less than 30 mins. I did 75-90 mins each way for 25 years and have friends who do closer to 2hrs each way.

OP those timings are not great esp the morning one as tube will be especially busy. Going home st 5:15 is earlier than most so it may be a little quieter

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Commute – Amersham to the City’ is closed to new replies.