Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Communting on road bike in winter
  • MRanger156
    Free Member

I commute 4 miles each way to work and back using my road bike. In the summer it was great but now the roads are getting slippier and covered in wet leafs.

Any advice? I’m not bothered about getting cold or wet.

I used to commute on a hardtail (swapped for road bike) and that was fine.

organic355
    Free Member

there is not really much you can do about it, unless your frame has clearance for some chunkier cross tyres?

Wait until it gets icy on those skinny tyres, makes for an interesting ride, just keep your wits about you!.

soobalias
    Free Member

get used to it, wont take long.
    slick 28c’s get just as much grip on tarmac as a 2.1 knobbly.

alternatively might i suggest that you need to buy a new bike.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Seems like reason enough for a new bike to me 😆

Militant_biker

New tyres – I was using Continental Ultra-Gator Duraskins – found they had a bit more winter grip than lightweight slicks, and did a great job at stopping punctures.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I recently changed from commuting on a road bike to one of Edinburgh bike co’s couriers. Commuting on a roadie in the dark, with rush hour traffic, ice, slippy leaves etc were the main reasons for changing – plus I found I was cycling faster with less effort (normally a good thing) but bad when combined with all the above.

So do what I did, buy a new commuter 🙂

amplebrew

Tyres can make a huge difference to the feel of a bike in bad weather.

I fitted a pair of Vittoria Randonneur Pro City Tyre’s in a 700 x 35c last autumn when the weather started to get a bit mucky.

Can’t fault them to be honest, they grip really well on slippy roads; but still roll well.

I’ve been that happy with them that I kept them on all summer.

They’ve even got a reflective trim around the sidewall to increase your chances of being seen side on.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I have a fixed pompino. commuted on 25c conti gatorskins; which are ace in the summer but slippery in the winter. and 35c michelin world tours which have loads of grip in the wet, even manage some off road.

I also have a set of ice tyres! but have yet to use them to go to work on…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Communting on road bike in winter’ is closed to new replies.