Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Community speed watch …
  • angeldust
    Free Member

Contrast this with more “ethnic” inner areas of Blackburn where people take a fatalistic attitude to road safety and the streets are at the top of the league table and full of calming measures.

Classy.

scotroutes

wwpaddler – so what does this mean?

I am now on my finally warning and my registration has been passed onto the local traffic officers

wwpaddler
    Free Member

That the OP may get a letter from the police rather than CSW. If the OP’s misdemeanours are deemed significantly serious they may receive a social visit from a PC for a chat.

Basically The same as what happens if you report a “bad” driver for close passing you on your bike

tjagain

IIRc section 59 is a warning that your car has been driven antisocially and if you get 2 ( or 3) then your car is taken off you for a short period of time.

jimw
    Free Member

Whilst not directly relevant, as it was not a speed partnership, it is has happened that locals who ask for speed checks who get caught by them. A case in point was a local woman who complained in the local press that she was caught, twice, in her village after speed detector vans were introduced ‘treated like a drunk driver’.
    http://www.malverngazette.co.uk/news/947564.Driver___s_fury_as_cameras_capture_her_a_third_time/
    The error of her ways were presented by the speed camera partnership and she effectively had to grovel in a later edition
    http://www.malverngazette.co.uk/news/malvern/957223.Driver_is_brought_up_to_speed_at_safety_meeting_/

spawnofyorkshire

The error of her ways were presented by the speed camera partnership and she effectively had to grovel in a later edition

Some people are just idiots

GrahamS

That’s brilliant jimw.

Her: I was only doing 32mph and here’s me with my bad back, Crohn’s disease and the diabetus. They treat me like a criminal. They’re not getting the real people who are speeding, just us innocent locals.

Them: Actually you were doing 44mph in a 30, so not only were you speeding significantly through a residential area, you also apparently had no idea you were doing it. And you weren’t even paying enough attention to spot a speed trap that has caught you twice before!

Her: …

😆

demonracer

Thanks for the feedback, just to clear up a couple of things I wasn’t clear about originally.

The first letter I received was for a car which was SORN, it was at home in my garage and I was at work at the time. I contacted the local police force where it was reported as I was worried about it having been cloned. The police said it was more than likely a mistake but they would keep an eye out for the plate.

The second letter was sent to me for a different car, this one was dated the same date a girlfriends birthday, I saw the speed watch team as soon as I came round the corner at around 15mph, I sat at around 25mph while I passed them.

The third letter was last dated last Saturday, again I saw the team, one of them register my speed, I checked my speed which was 27MPH. I saw them write something in a book, I’m guessing my reg and them today I received a letter. I remember wondering why they had bothered to write my reg down when I wasn’t speeding at the time. There was a car behind me which caught me quickly coming through the 30 limit on this occasion so I wonder if they recorded the wrong car, having never used a speed gun I don’t really know if this is possible.

bails

A case in point was a local woman who complained in the local press that she was caught, twice, in her village after speed detector vans were introduced ‘treated like a drunk driver’.
    http://www.malverngazette.co.uk/news/947564.Driver___s_fury_as_cameras_capture_her_a_third_time/
    http://www.malverngazette.co.uk/news/malvern/957223.Driver_is_brought_up_to_speed_at_safety_meeting

“Otherwise law-abiding” as long as you don’t count the laws that she breaks. 🙄

wilburt
    Free Member

This all sounds very good but I can’t help think a few sad old timers with spare time on their hands and a 50 calibre rifle (or some enfields for the really old) could cut out lots of jibba jabber excuses, not to mention paperwork for the parish council and any chance of mistaken identity.

Superficial
    Free Member

Contrast this with more “ethnic” inner areas of Blackburn where people take a fatalistic attitude to road safety and the streets are at the top of the league table and full of calming measures.

All these effnics, comin’ over ‘ere, taking all our traffic calming measures.

GrahamS

“Otherwise law-abiding” as long as you don’t count the laws that she breaks. 🙄

One of those phrases you only really see applied to motorists.

I’ve never seen anyone described as an otherwise law-abiding mass-murderer. 😀

wiganer
    Free Member

Genuine question… how do these initiatives calibrate their equipment? Or don’t they? If, as the OP says, he doesnt believe he was going over the limit then it raises the question. Also, how do the locals maintain any sense of impartiality and objectivity without letting personal vendettas come to the fore? I can see in general they’re trying to do a good thing, I just think it’s a can of worms.

matt_outandabout

@Demonracer

– first one/SORN car sounds like a clone car…
    – Second two – are you sure it isn’t 20mph? Speak to the police/community team and challenge them (nicely, of course).

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Community speed watch …’ is closed to new replies.