Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Commonwealth Games in Brum. Which venue for the mountain biking…..?
  • RoterStern
    Free Member

Is Cannock quids in?.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Cannock was my first thought.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

New Clent mountain park facility or Nuneaton bike park!

crazy-legs

Wonder if that means Birmingham will be getting an indoor velodrome or if they’ll just shove everyone off in the direction of Derby or Manchester…

MoreCashThanDash

Derby velodrome doesn’t have the crowd capacity to host proper international events, due to a minor oversight/penny pinching in the design, so hopefully good news for Birmingham!

ivantate
    Free Member

Cannock could make it work.

prawny

Cannock was part of the bid for the MTB so fingers crossed it will be around here. Anyone got any idea of how to fleece tourists?

MSP

Anyone got any idea of how to fleece tourists?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoHVO1eSMFc[/video]

dirkpitt74

Also confirmed today was that shooting, another sport in which England generally excels, does not feature in the Birmingham 2022 list. It is again thought this is because the region lacks a world class facility and there is little time to build one.

Why not use shooting ranges at local area Army barracks?

dirkpitt74

Hopefully if they use Cannock for the MTB it means that investment other than from the Forestry Commission parking and public donations will be coming in to the trails.

mcdonagh2962
    Free Member

I was talking to someone important at Cannock last month and he said if Birmingham gets the commonwealth games Cannock would be rebuilt , hope so

somouk
    Free Member

Why not use shooting ranges at local area Army barracks?

Not much suitable at barracks round here. However, the MOD own Kingsbury ranges and Whittington ranges that could easily cover anything they want and both are within driving distance of the City.

There is also some dedicated Civillian shooting clubs that would be able to take the competition in.

nick1962
    Free Member

If it is Cannock will the pros be able to handle those pebbles? 🙂

RoterStern
    Free Member

If they are going to hold the track cycling in London then perhaps they will also hold the mtb events at Hadleigh Park then as it seems they are trying to do it on the cheap. It’s not only the course itself that is important but the infrastructure around it too such as car parks TV access etc.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yam yam, yor yor, aiy aiy, yam yor, bist, yow yow, yer.

Cannock Chase seems like a good option, my bet is it’s held under Spaghetti Junction for full urban decay regeneration effect.

Yor yow.

jekkyl

That will be mint if it comes to Cannock.
    My thoughts are that the dog or parts of the dog would be ideal,
    including the new rock garden would look great at speed on the tele.

How long do mtb courses have to be?

celticdragon

If I remember correctly about 5kms, but they are only allowed to have 10 or 15% of total course length as level terrain, the rest must be either up or down for XCO.

BigJohn

I was talking to someone important at Cannock

My new favourite oxymoron.

my bet is it’s held under Spaghetti Junction

Coincidentally, I was once in the National Track Championships at Salford Park track, the remains of which are under Spaghetti Junction. 1968 I think.

st

Yup the Chase confirmed today. It’s going to take a while to work out exactly what’s what but talks have been ongoing.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My thoughts are that the dog or parts of the dog would be ideal,
    including the new rock garden would look great at speed on the tele.

It will probably need some decent tough features fitting in 😉 Some nice big doubles, good sized drops and some gaps for the Pro XC field

Not sure how Glasgow stepped up for it.

st

Commonwealth Games courses aren’t quite the same as Olympics / XCO apparently.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Bit of a shame as you will be getting a lot of the same riders from the XCO world there

onewheelgood

If it is Cannock will the pros be able to handle those pebbles?

Or the braking bumps…

jekkyl

this is great news. Do you reckon they’ll build new trails built st?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-45914588

Mountain Biking is set for Cannock Chase in Staffordshire; Lee Valley VeloPark is due to host track cycling.Venues and routes for the cycling road race and marathon have yet to be chosen and will be confirmed nearer the events.

wind-bag
    Free Member

How about the Malverns…or wouldn’t they be able to handle the Bomb Hole?

st

All TBC at the moment and looks like that’ll be the case for a little while yet :o(

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I wouldn’t get hopes up of a massive trail build

The duration and lap length of cross country Olympic mountain biking must be as followed for both men and women:

• Race time: 1:30-1.45
    • Lap length: 4-6km

<div class=”embeddable-adslot-wrapper clearfix embeddable-adslot-right active”></div>
    The UCI’s rules and regulations also states that “the course for an Olympic format cross-country event should use an attractive lay-out ideally in a cloverleaf design, to encourage easy viewing for spectators and any television coverage.”

The organiser must make the courses available and fully marked for training at least 48 hours before the start of the first race.

Double feed/technical assistance zones are “strongly recommended” and the course must be marked every kilometre by a sign indicating the distance remaining to the finish line.

The course should include a variety of terrain such as road sections, forest tracks, fields and earth or gravel paths, and include significant amounts of climbing and descending. Paved roads cannot make up more than 15% of the course.

The course must be wholly rideable even in difficult weather conditions.

For the Olympic cross-country races, the course must be marked out using stakes or banners and protected for its entire length.

The starting zone for the mass-start Olympic race must be at least six metres wide for at least 50m before the start line and at least metres wide for at least 100m after the start line.

Again XCO guide so it will be less but it’s a good starting place, TV access, short lap, probably 3-4km of singletrack needed?

postierich
    Free Member

Can we please use the term offroad biking for Canuuck Chase please as Mountain Biking seems sort of strange!

st

No

scruff
    Free Member

bikebouy
    Free Member

Good result, held almost local to Brum yaw yow.

Be good to see some redevelopment in Cannock, last time I was there for an XC event back in 94’ some **** stole my Marin Team Titanium race bike..

moonsaballoon

Glasgow did pretty well from a mtb perspective I think . A Xc course on the edge of the city which has been added to recently with some extra trails and a pump track . No massive features like the cairns ones above but from a legacy point of view there is no point being stuck with a course only the worlds best can ride , did they not rework some of the Olympic course before opening to the public?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The Cairns course is part of Smithfield MTB park

No massive features like the cairns ones above but from a legacy point of view there is no point being stuck with a course only the worlds best can ride

All of the features have A/B/C lines with the time penalty associated with missing them. It’s ridden by the locals all the time.

For a legacy point of view would it not be better to have a location for a UK Nationals round that was a proper gateway into XCO for the UK youths – certainly something is missing for Mens XC in the UK at the moment stopping them getting on to the worlds scene with any success.

It asks the question who the commonwealth games is for? Is the road race shorter and easier? Is the pool shorter or the track running downhill?.

moonsaballoon

I’m not sure I can say who the commonwealth games is for if I’m honest I can just say it was really good when they were in glasgow and it left the city some pretty good facilities including the MTB course and a velodrome .

With regards to the legacy part I think the facilities left behind are ment to benefit the people of the city as opposed to an elite pathway for existing athletes . From what I have seen the pump track at the MTB course has been pretty successful in getting kids on their bikes although to be fair that came after the games . Drifting a bit but I find it frustrating how the money for sport gets pushed towards a push for medals when most kids these days don’t have free access to a flat bit of grass to kick a ball about .

walleater

After this exposure, permit prices should be able to be increased significantly.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Drifting a bit but I find it frustrating how the money for sport gets pushed towards a push for medals when most kids these days don’t have free access to a flat bit of grass to kick a ball about .

The FA could fix that in 5 mins, even a 0.5% levy on transfer fees could deliver amazing grass roots football facilities. I’d rather money is not diverted from minority and hard to access sports for one of the richest games in the world.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

If the track cycling is in London, then surely it is appropriate to travel down to Swindon to use the pre-made trails behind Nationwide

scruff
    Free Member

Christmas Trees are for sale at Marquis Drive already.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Commonwealth Games in Brum. Which venue for the mountain biking…..?’ is closed to new replies.