Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Common sense failure
  • jon1973
    Free Member
    MrCrushrider
    Free Member

classic

coffeeking
    Free Member

Cant able bodied people just use another machine?

jon1973
    Free Member

Cant able bodied people just use another machine?

Is it not possible to come up with a design that suits all? most wheelchair users can reach more than 3 ft I believe. Things should be accessible to everyone. Disabled people shouldn’t be made to feel that they need special treatment (especially by offering them a 3 ft parking meter.) It’s just patronising.

muddy_bum
    Free Member

Can’t disabled people just park anywhere without paying and so will just park on yellow lines instead of in the car park?

The council should be ashamed for charging disabled drivers and for installing such a stupid machine!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Is it not possible to come up with a design that suits all? most wheelchair users can reach more than 3 ft I believe. Things should be accessible to everyone. Disabled people shouldn’t be made to feel that they need special treatment (especially by offering them a 3 ft parking meter.) It’s just patronising.

Well it’ll be a compromise, since there will be more than 1 meter theres no reason NOT to have a small and a large one. I dont think its patronising at all – they’re lower down so they should have a lower (head height to them) meter, that meter would be uncomfy for me to use so I dont exactly begrudge them a shorter meter. Surely this sort of action is what disabled people DO need, they dont need people to quietly pretend they’re not disabled and hope they dont feel different. They ARE different, its not a bad thing, but they need different provision, so provide it.

muddy_bum – I’m not sure whether I agree with the rights of disabled people to park freely to start with. Controversial as it sounds they’re using a space so they should pay the same as anyone else, unless we’re being patronising. They dont HAVE to use a car any more than an elderly but able bodied person, plenty of buses and trains are wheelchair friendly access.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Its a metre meter. I fail to see the problem…

😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

isn’t it common sense that news stories about parking meters are very dull ? (Unless they attack passers-by due to alien infestation)

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

I agree with the chappie above – disabled drivers should park for free. Anyway, what are they going to do, put one of these beside every full sized metre in the country or do they expect disabled people to orientate their lives around what few tiny parking meters there are. Retarded if you ask me.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I thought a disabled badge automatically gave you free parking, pretty much anywhere?

coffeeking
    Free Member

put one of these beside every full sized metre in the country or do they expect disabled people to orientate their lives around what few tiny parking meters there are.

Doesnt take much to integrate a double input system lower down on the same meter 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

I thought a disabled badge automatically gave you free parking, pretty much anywhere?

Doesnt really with private spaces, that depends on teh owner of the space.

You can park on double yellows with a blue badge though, so no idea why anyone would need to use a parking space?

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have this problem with the ticket machines in my railway station. They appear to have been designed to be slightly too high to be useable by someone in a wheelchair and maddenlingly low for anyone of normal height to use while standing up.

The result is a morning queue of people looking as though they are making use of a glory hole.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Giving or rec… never mind

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I was in Padstow down by the harbour a couple of weeks ago and it said quite clearly on there that disabled drivers still had to pay full price, 24/7. And that was a council car park.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Common sense failure’ is closed to new replies.