Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 124 total)
  • Common misspellings and grammatical errors on social media.
  • jekkyl

Honestly if I see one more post from people who want a bit of advise on how to seel there chester draws or there mounting bike I’ll go crazy. Perhaps there looking for some advise on how to loose weight because there too fat. I no your not a moron for spelling things the wrong way constantly but it does make you look lik one. 🙂

I think they should dedicate a term of secondary school english lessons towards ‘common misspellings that make you look like a moron and the correct way to spell them.’ Why is it so hard for some people?

I find myself having to bite my tongue (bite my fingers?) from correcting people all the time as it makes you look like a grammar nazi, no-one likes being corrected but I figure if no-one tells them they’ll continue making the same mistake for years. What to do though when it’s your best mate or manager at work? Anyway, as you were.

scotroutes

I figure of no-one tells them

Ah – stealth edit, eh?

grum
    Free Member

The one that I really don’t get is brought instead of bought.

You’re adding an extra letter, clearly making a different word with a different meaning – it would be easier to get it right by accident surely?

johnners
    Free Member

secondary school english English lessons

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I don’t see a problem with Chester drawers myself.
    My personnel beef is not using captals appropriately.

jekkyl

Thanks Scotroutes, I had scoured the post for misspellings so touche. But, in my defense that was accidental (the i is next to the o) not because I don’t know the correct spelling.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

chester draws

😀 Get yersell on Barrow Sell and Seek. Every other post is someone selling a chester draws.

scotroutes

defense

grum
    Free Member

touche touché

ourmaninthenorth

This is something which defiantly gets on my tits lol

jekkyl

lol. defense Vs defence? USA Vs English isn’t it. Since we generally allow the use of a z in place of an s in lots of words like capitalization I’ll allow myself that one.

scotroutes

Z in capitalization is correct. S is the abhorrent newcomer.

grum
    Free Member

It’s a common misconception that use of z is an Americanisation. 😉

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

lol. defense Vs defence? USA Vs English isn’t it. Since we generally allow the use of a z in place of an s in lots of words like capitalization I’ll allow myself that one.

I think there is a bandwagon that has just been jumped on here, the s vs c crime normally occurs when confusing verb with noun; licence vs license, for example.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Thank you for raising the issue jekkyl.

The people who don’t know the difference between:-

There, their and they’re.

Lose and loose seems to be increasingly common now.

People who use the word prolly when they mean probably. Where the hell does that come from?

Americans who say “my bad” and even worse Brits who have picked that up.

Americans using aluminum when they mean aluminium. They don’t say sodum, calcum or uranum so why pick on just one element?

Nails on a blackboard….

perchypanther
    Free Member

Was at a friends mums funeral service yesterday which was in a Roman Catholic chapel.

Spoke to another friend after the funeral who had never attended an RC service before and asked them what they thought.

“I quite liked the bit with the incest” came the the reply…..

scotroutes

Aluminum is the original.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Was at a friends mums funeral service yesterday which was in a Roman Catholic chapel.

Spoke to another friend after the funeral who had never attended an RC service before and asked them what they thought.

“I quite liked the bit with the incest” came the the reply…..
    Where to start? They didn’t do the thing about people in glass houses not throwing stones, did they? 😆

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

The one that I really don’t get is brought instead of bought.

This one REALLY annoys me. Really, really annoys me.

I’m not sure if its intentional (if so, why the heck?) or whether there just seems to have been a massive influx of illiterate morons over the last few years because its definitely a new’ish thing.

hels
    Free Member

Do you not read the big papers ? England came near the bottom of the list of OECD countries in basic literacy and numeracy.

I think it is important to get it right in some contexts, but not so much in others. CV or job application ? Perfection. Facebook post ? WTF cares.

In any case, we aren’t allowed to tattoo STOOPID on people’s foreheads or make them wear a badge, so poor literacy can be useful.

johnners
    Free Member

Lose and loose seems to be increasingly common now.

It is a bit perverse to have “lose” with a long vowel sound and “loose” with a short one though.

chvck
    Free Member

If I’m posting on social media in a personal capacity then I couldn’t really give a shit about my spelling and grammar. If it was my CV or some important document then maybe I’d actually pay some attention to it…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Wotchu onnabart ?

Drac

I get them wrong because of my dyslexia. I know the difference but sometimes when I’m writing I’ll use the wrong one.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Only because Sir Humphry Davy announced the discovery on the internet using an iphone and then realised his mistake!

ransos
    Free Member

“Aluminium” is the standard spelling. As is “sulfur”.

globalti
    Free Member

Not a mis-spelling but I hate the use of the verb “run” instead of “have” as in “I run XTR on my bike…”

It makes the bike sound like a corporation or a latop.

Nico
    Free Member

I think the OP would of been improved by adding “i.e.” and then listing some examples.

Defense indeed! That’s what I’m not sitting on.

Northwind

Tack and tact getz my goad.

Cougar

Someone I know on FB often posts about what her darling “dorta” is up to.

*twitch*

deadkenny
    Free Member

The “Spotted [insert town name]” groups are often the funniest. Generally a bunch of uneducated morons moaning about anything and everything. The best stuff is when they start ranting about a slutty neighbour or ex-boyfriend/girlfriend. The more raving, the worse the spelling.

perchypanther
    Free Member

U Ok Hun?

slowoldman

“Sickth” in speech anyone? It’s even infiltration Auntie Beeb.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I defiantly agree with this.

hels
    Free Member

Can we do nouns as verbs ?? Can we ?? Please ??

Or “verbizing” as the Americans call it, with zero irony.

shadowfax

Here, here.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Where? There, under the stair..

A little mouse with clogs on…

Well I dispair..

Mister-P
    Free Member

I cannot abide abit, alot, alittle and aswell. Surely that means the last one is actually a swell rather than as well?

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

loose/lose

your/you’re

their/there/they’re

specific/pacific/

specifically/pacifically

moot/mute

ur bik is saracen

Good grammar, the difference between knowing your sh*t and knowing you’re sh*t

Northwind

Mister P – Member

alot

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 124 total)

The topic ‘Common misspellings and grammatical errors on social media.’ is closed to new replies.