• This topic has 20 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Bear.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Commercial gas cooker on domestic supply?
  • iamtheresurrection

As per the title, really. Is there any reason why I couldn’t put a commercial (natural gas) cooker on a domestic supply? I guess I’m wondering if the bore of the supply pipe will likely be sufficient?

Something like this: http://www.nisbets.co.uk/Falcon-6-Burner-Dominator-Plus-Range-G3101-Natural-Gas-with-Feet/DK940-N/ProductDetail.raction

divenwob
    Free Member

It would depend on what else you have on that meter and how far away it is to be sited from the meter.

iamtheresurrection

Thanks for that.

Just a modern boiler (Glow-worm Flexicon). Not too far, about 25ft. Do I just get an engineer out to test the pressure with everything running?

chewkw
    Free Member

Oh commercial gas cooker I like!

For me it will be high pressure wok burner/cooker for my future preference but I guess I might be using gas cylinder instead. 😀

divenwob
    Free Member

Do you know the boiler model i.e. Flexicom 12 hx etc? you would need an engineer to come and check the current setup and probably run a new supply to the cooker if he deemed it safe to do so.

iamtheresurrection

Only because I’m standing in front of it 😉

It’s a Flexicon 18hx.

iamtheresurrection

I’d thought about propane chewkw, but I’d rather not have the hassle and expense of a couple of whacking bottles in the garden…

divenwob
    Free Member

You would need to get more info regarding the gas rating of the cooker,a domestic meter can only supply a certain amount of gas per hour,I think you may be needing more power captain.

chewkw
    Free Member

iamtheresurrection – Member

I’d thought about propane chewkw, but I’d rather not have the hassle and expense of a couple of whacking bottles in the garden…

Yes, that can be a hassle and does not look nice.

Mine could just be a high pressure wok burner (might consider a twin wok burner like those in Chinese takeaway) while the rest on normal gas on a separate cooker. For me it is for flexibility of moving the wok burner around if it is only one …

northernmatt

http://www.falconfoodservice.com/Products/Catalogue/View.aspx?id=20#specification

Needs 4.1m3 per hour at 20mbar inlet pressure if that helps.

Edit: a U6 meter can do up to 6m3 per hour, iirc these are quite common in domestic properties.

divenwob
    Free Member

Flexicom 18hx needs 1.93m3 so over the limit, only just, but still over. 🙁

iamtheresurrection

In theory then, if I have a u6 meter and only use 5 rings if the heating and oven is on…

What would happen if the boiler wasn’t quite getting enough pressure, would it just be less efficient or is it dangerous (can’t imagine how, but hey)?

Edit: looks like I could get a cheaper Lincat oven with a much lower max consumption. http://www.lincat.co.uk/uploads/spec/S-LINKGASRANGE.pdf

Thanks all, by the way. Very grateful 🙂

divenwob
    Free Member

Probably better to buy a cooker with a lower gas usage and not worry about 5 rings the oven and a boiler…….

iamtheresurrection

Yes, thanks: sensible suggestion. Looks like there are a few options too.

fluxhutchinson
    Free Member

Pipe size would probably be the bigger issue tbh. Oh and little things like ventilation… Would probably need a comcat engineer aswell depending on what the destructions said

chewkw
    Free Member

I am looking at wok burner like this one.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejR6ClRtR_A[/video]

divenwob
    Free Member

Flux,hence post ^ re an engineers visit and replacing supply,the OP asked if it could be used on a domestic supply.

iamtheresurrection

Nothing’s as simple as that, eh…

I think I’ll get in touch with a local catering co and get them out. I’ll ask about extraction regardless as I’ve yet to find an extractor for that doesn’t make a hell of a racket whilst extracting nowt of any note.

Thanks again.

j4mie
    Free Member

Email/message me for more info.

Domestic meters are usually U6 = 6 cubic meters = 65kW, so depends on the appliance rating and the total amount that could be demanded at any one time for all your gas appliances (boilers, gas fire etc).

The service pipe can potentially support more than this, depending on the pipe size and distance from the gas main. Speak to your supplier and ask for a GT1 check, that should give you an exact figure of what your service pipe is capable of. If it’s within what you need, it should just be a case of them fitting a larger meter.

If not, the service pipe might need to be upgraded, this would be done by whoever owns the gas network in your part of the country – whereabouts are you? Depending on your requirements this may well be done FOC if the meter position isn’t moving.

If this is for commercial use though, then an external isolation valve needs to be fitted outside whatever the case.

As I said, message me for more info, this is my day job.

iamtheresurrection

Thanks Jamie. I’ll drop you an email tonight. 🙂

Bear
    Free Member

Meter may be ok as you need to allow a diversity factor for the cooker.
    When sizing the pipe then you don’t allow that factor, so you may need bigger pipework.
    That cooker looks like several range cookers so not sure it is commercial.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Commercial gas cooker on domestic supply?’ is closed to new replies.