Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Comments pls: Duster (Steel) or Scott Scale (Alu) or something else altogether!!
  • MrSpud

I need to buy a new frame and forks as over the xmas period I’ve finally decided that my winter bike, a 2001 SWorks FSR, has had enough (the forks are worn and the rear shock despite servicing etc is just not working properly) and needs replacing.

The plan is just to swap out the frame and forks as virtually everything else has been replaced relatively recently. Am saving for a wedding so am being cost concious (or trying to be at least) which means I’m after an inexpensive hardtail – I already have a Whyte 19 (alu) and a Rush. I am currently looking at a Charge Duster (steel, but white in a sale new for £240! an 08) or a Scott scale 40 (alu in a sale new for £340 but an 09). Irritatingly I cannot lay my hands on a duster for sizing (other than a small one) so this will be a bit of a stab in the dark – am 6′ have a medium 19 and large Rush and the Sworks was large too. As I already have the 19 am tempted to get the Duster but what say you? Ive not ridden either of them, but heard good things about both. Any comments either way would be appreciated.

Cheers

sherry
    Free Member

I would go for the duster if you can get the right size. I recently changed my Kinesis XC pro maxlight (alu)for a Cove handjob (steel). The maxlight was good but the cove IMO is far more fun, more relaxed geometry. I looked at the duster when buying the Cove and it looks top notch. Your at a height where either medium or large might fit hard one to call.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d go for the Duster too, esp if you already have an alu hardtail. Always liked the look of them.

The fact that it’s £100 cheaper would seal the deal for me.

retroboy

Hi,

I did a similar thing in Nov last year and bought a Duster M in white. Brilliant! It suits my Menja 100mm forks really well. I’m 5’11” so I’d recommend the medium.

Hope this helps, rb

MrSpud

Great, i’ll compare the sizing to the whyte I think (if i can) and then probably go for the medium.
    Cheers again.

MS
    Free Member

I have the scale 40. If you are not planning to race or do serious xc on it i would say better with duster. I am saying that due to the geometry of it.

I am 6 foot and the large scorr is fine for me

Cheers

MS

nickname
    Free Member

I really like the duster. I’ve been lurking in evans a couple of times this week as they stock them. I was impressed by how light it was, felt like a feather compared to my old inbred.

I’m 6’2 and tried the medium. It felt ok but didn’t have a large frame in stock to compare against. I’ll probably end up opting for the large though.

pebble
    Free Member

I have a mint conditio 2006 17.5″ Rocky Mountain Blizzard (Reynolds 853 disc specific frame with rack mounts) for £300 with salsa seat clamp if that is of any interest.

Immaculate condition with hardly any use complete with Quality Control Record for frame.

Pics available.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Comments pls: Duster (Steel) or Scott Scale (Alu) or something else altogether!!’ is closed to new replies.