Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Comments please – Truvativ Firex SS chainset
  • bristolbiker
    Free Member

This looks like a bargain: http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CSTRFIREX/truvativ-firex-single-speed-crankset

I've always shyed away from the Truvativ BB system as my understanding is that it's longevity is questionable, but the price is right 🙂

My finger is hovering over 'buy' – convince me either way please….

thomthumb
    Free Member

£80 on bottom brackets in the first 6 months will convince you to throw it in a bin and buy a shimano; did for me anyhow.

on an mtb; this looks like a hybrid chainset?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Going to go on an Pompetamine as a 'bombproof' winter commuter build.

The BB-made-of-cheese issue is what has put me off in the past. I really want it to be robust/reliable AND cheap, but robust is the much more important criteria.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thomthumb
    Free Member

square taper then. had one on my pompino for 2 years and still running fine. it's with an on one track crank (144bcd) which is good but limits chainrings…

Bimbler
    Free Member

I managed to keep a GXP BB going for about a year via the simple expedient of stuffing the bearings full of grease. Having said that for a bomb proof commuter square taper is the way to go.

retro83
    Free Member

I really don't like the Firex/GIGAXP system. Endless problems with BBs wearing very quickly or having play which can't be taken up. Replaced mine with SLX. Deore is what I'd go for in your position, and replace the BB with Across or similar if it dies.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Thanks – square taper noted, and is a good shout, but would like to stay with HTII if I can as I have the tools and all the bikes now have it. Also, I tend to have no issues with HTII BB life, but lets not open that can of worms on a Friday… 😉

Have looked at true track chainsets, but agree chainring BCD is limiting for the ring size I may need and crank arm lengths tend to be on the small side.

My preffered choice is either the Alfine cranks, though I don't really like the look of them with the chain guard (but they are cheap) or some R600 compact cranks with a single ring on it (that looked nice on that single speed MTB thread from a few days ago), but that is pricey unless some turn up on the classified or EBay

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Comments please – Truvativ Firex SS chainset’ is closed to new replies.