• This topic has 12 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by FOG.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Commencal swing arm defect- poor customer service.
  • jackieo
    Free Member

I have a Commencal Super4 2009 that has had very light use as confirmed by Edinburgh Bikes whom sold me this bike. Recently I noticed it had sheared in 2 places through the swing arm. Online forums report this was a common problem in 2011/12 with many bikes eventually being repaired / replaced although Commencal appeared reluctant to do any of this work. One forum reports the manufacturer was dropped by Commencal after this problem came to light. Commencal are refusing to do anything as it is out of warranty. However I am not happy as I know this is a manufacturing defect they are not taking responsibility for. Any ideas how to proceed?Jackie

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Sup to whoever you purchased it from.

nickjb
    Free Member

Your contract is with EB. Sounds like they are fobbing off although TBH I doubt anyone would get much warranty support for a 5 year old frame, especially the swing arm which often doesn’t count as the ‘frame’ for many warranties.

nemesis
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s crap – I’ve had the same with a lightly used bike.

But, unfortunately you’ll have to chalk it up to experience – it’s out of warranty and other than hopefully a goodwill offer (which EBC should push for even if Commencal/distributor won’t) they’re not obliged to offer anything which seems to be their position.

I wouldn’t waste lots of time trying to get a free warranty replacement.

akira

Current commencal warranty on swing arms is 2 years. Unfortunately as people have said anything you get will be goodwill gesture.

jackieo
    Free Member

Yup but I will try to get this done so seeking advice from trading standards so will pursue it further, not giving up!

nemesis
    Free Member

You’ll be wasting your time. Move on. Don’t buy commencal again.

zilog6128

If it’s genuinely a manufacturing defect then the “warranty” offered by the retailer is irrelevant as they are legally obliged to sort it up to 6 years after purchase (or 5 years after you notice a problem in Scotland!)

Useful Money Saving Expert article: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange

Current commencal warranty on swing arms is 2 years. Unfortunately as people have said anything you get will be goodwill gesture.

IMO any warranty is basically a “goodwill gesture” as they can be quite limited and some companies will try to wriggle out of them. A lot of emphasis is put by some on a warranty but often they’re just another kind of marketing strategy IMO. In contrast your protection against poor workmanship is a legal right. (Only in genuine cases of manufacturing or design defect/error though).

jackieo
    Free Member

Yes, Edinburgh bikes have agreed to push this further for me as it is a well known fault. The bike should be fit for purpose and are in agreement the bike has had light use. Keep you all posted and thanks for the replies.

jackieo
    Free Member

Ok Commencal not taking it on, Edinburgh bike co-op agreeing to fit new swing arm for cost price£60, no charge for labour.
    Still not feeling happy. The manufacturer knows they have a fault with a bike and ignored it.

nemesis
    Free Member

As I said, I’ve had a similar experience of breaking a frame but at the same time, almost every time customers claim to have hardly ridden bikes even when it’s clear that’s not true. I can see why you’d be reluctant to warranty 5 year old swingarms..

kayak23

Edinburgh bike co-op agreeing to fit new swing arm for cost price£60

Personally I’d be happy with that. Good on them.

FOG

Mine snapped twice, first time after a year and had my frame replaced without argument. Second time five years on, the shop I bought it from had gone out of business and I had had enough and decided to take the hit and buy something different. Pity, it was a really nice bike to ride!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Commencal swing arm defect- poor customer service.’ is closed to new replies.