• This topic has 10 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by igm.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Commencal Supreme 20 – kids bike
  • igm

OK – I got a second hand Stinky 2-4 for our older son and he just did Les Gets red DH on it – see other thread for much basking in reflected glory.

However this gives me a problem. Younger son will be too big for the LOCT next summer, so either we don’t do Les Gets / Alps, we chose something like Annecy and flat cycle paths, or we get him something that will get a (by then) 5 1/2 year old speed freak out on some simple Les Gets trails.

Now I’ve seen youngsters out on these tiny Commencal full sussers on the Les Gets green, but has anyone got any experience of them (or even got a second hand one)?

They ain’t cheap but at current exchange rates they are about the same as the difference in price of an apartment for a week in Les Gets or for a week in Annecy.

wiggles
    Free Member

They are very heavy…

Recently did a 24″ FS build with proper parts on it just small wheels and it was lighter than his previous 20″ commy. Other than that I don’t know a great deal but apparently the kid can ride much faster now!

peabrain
    Free Member

Propain Frechdax? How does it compare pricewise?

beiciwr64
    Free Member

Some info on a build here
    My son has a built one from frame only purchase,slightly different to the one above.
    It’s an amazing little bike!

womble321
    Free Member

Just looked @ propain bikes & they look very nice but very extremely expensive

igm

beiciwr64 – looking at that spec I reckon it’s the forks and tyres/tubes that make the weight difference. Is that your take too.

beiciwr64
    Free Member

Yes i would say so,you could save weight on buying different parts but it’s not easy to find parts for a 20″ bike.
    Commencal whole bike Weighs 11.4kg/25.1lbs
    My son’s bike weighs around 10 kg.
    I was a bit worried about the weight at the start going from a Cnoc 16 6.1 kg to 10kg but to be honest it hasn’t been a major issue,the main thing is for them to have gears i feel.
    They soon get used to the weight and throw them around.

This is my son’s bike

MoreCashThanDash

They soon get used to the weight and throw them around.

Keep you that to yourself, the Islabike flat earthers on here don’t like that kind of heresy!

igm

To be fair morecash, our 9 year old loves his Stinky 2-4 when there’s uplift or he’s playing on the flat but if he’s riding up hill at all (eg Dalby blue) then he asks for the Beinn 24. His choice.

peabrain
    Free Member

At least at 24″ size we now have a much bigger choice – including full sus bikes that can be pedalled uphill.

It would be good if that now trickles down to 20″ wheels. What I really need is a quality 18″ wheel hardtail with gears and disc brakes.

I’ve just remembered a while ago I saw a custom kids 20″ downhill bike for sale somewhere. Was about £500. Can’t find it but found a 24″ wheel Specialized Hotrock FSR frame for £60 on pinkbike!

EDIT: Found it https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1024996857516219&set=gm.1609887942573164&type=1&theater. Wonder if they still have it?

igm

Suppose I should add Lil Shredder to the list, but unless the exchange rate shifts…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Commencal Supreme 20 – kids bike’ is closed to new replies.