Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Commencal Super 4 owners help please
  • DanW
    Free Member

Hi all,

First question 🙂 Are you happy with them?

Second question; 100 or 120mm fork?

Is 100mm more than adequate for speedy descending? Does the 120mm fork ruin climbing ability?

I’m very tempted by a Super 4 but am curious to hear a few opinions…

Many thanks in advance, DanW

JRTG
    Free Member

my one has the 120mm forks and that does certainly feel nice. I may be willing to part with it too if you are looking? only 5 rides since sep last year so pretty mint!

DanW
    Free Member

I could always be tempted by a good offer 😀

(sk8erdj50[at]hotmail[dot]com)

They seem to be very good from what I can gather from reviews- great traction and climbing ability with a robust, stiff feel…

DanW
    Free Member

Anyone else have any advice?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Well I’ve had one for 4 months. I love it. Actually loved it. You will probably be aware of the 2009 manufacturing problems but I took a gamble on an 09 – brand new old stock from an LBS (4 months ago for me) for less than half price (880 with rp2/reba etc).

I say gamble ’cause 09s are notorious for cracking / splitting and the warranty backup wasnt great – and downright atrocious if you bought from Merlin. 2010 onwards are fine by all accounts. There were 2 problems with 09 models- the asymetric swingarm (led to cracks on the DS) and the top tube / downtube weld.

When it cracked my lbs werent exactly surprised.They saw it all before. To be fair the warranty backup now is reasonable – if a bit slow. I’m currently waiting for a warranty ’12 model. No quibbles / hassle. Just not available for a few weeks.

Overall – its a great trail design. 3.3 kg frame weight (inc shock). Sizing is a tad on the large side of normal. Pedalling is like a hardtail – but it tracks bumps / steps etc perfectly. I’m far too much of a wimp to push it to the limits on the downs. Overall – to be honest I dont have a whole lot to compare it to = but I am seriously missing it at mo.

It is a genuinly great climber. And great for long days out. As I said I dont have a whole lot of FS stuff to compare to but after 5-6 hours on a super my ass (old!) is an awful lot happier!

The 09’s came with a 100 Reba, the 10/11 with a 120. Same frame geom (different factory). I’d my 09 with 120 and it was fine.

Just to re-iterate: the 2010/11 are (apparently) fine reliability wise. I personally would not buy one with an asymettric (on 09 and some ’10 models) swing arm unless from an lbs you trust.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

I have the Meta 4, from 08 i think. I have had no problems with it and love it! Done about every endurance race in the UK including a few 24 solo’s, and also feels perfect for general trail riding.

Mine has 100mm front and rear with the reba’s up front.

trailleader
    Free Member

I purchased a 2009 super 4,the swing arm frame snapped as did a lot, they replaced the whole frame with the 2010, and its lasted about 18mths, and this swing arm has snapped in the same place, my frame is white, they are only offering a black swing arm to replace, which is not cool ! i will have a black blue white green frame, at present I am not accepting the bike back and am fighting it out with them right now, the frames in my opinion are not fit for purpose, £2000+ for 2 of them to break, you can buy a car for this type of money.

chakaping
    Free Member

My friend found a few cracks in the stays on his 2009 frame recently, it was out of the (two-year?) warranty and they offered him a shop-soiled replacement frame for £300.

When he asked they said it would have no warranty so he sensibly declined.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Commencal Super 4 owners help please’ is closed to new replies.