Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Commencal Super 4, Orange ST4 or Anthem owners, help. (Bike buying content)
  • scenetoomuch
    Free Member

So, I think I’m going to get a new bike in the new year and have started having a look around. I’m on the South Coast so I’m thinking about the bikes in the title (Super 4, ST4 and Anthem). We ride more XC then anything else, I ride a single speed at present but fancy something that to be honest would be nicer to ride when I’m tired, but nothing too huge as I want to retain a bit of snap and spring. All the bikes are available frame only which is what I’d probably go for, the Anthem is obviously bloody good but the Super 4 and ST4 have got the whole slacker head angle thing going on.

Any input/specs/pics from anyone whos got one of the above would be a great help, also if anyone has got one of these in the Southampton, Bournemouth, Poole area could I come have a look?

Cheers

Amos
    Free Member

Transition are bringing out a 140mm travel bike, which would be a great all rounder from what I can see, thinks it’s called a Bandit?

scenetoomuch
    Free Member

Yeh you’re right… Looks pretty tidy, I had a bit of a look at the Double but it was a bit too gnar… my wheels aren’t supposed to be in the air.
    This could be an option.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/transition-bandit-2010.html

gruffalo
    Free Member

If you’re building it up from scratch then the anthem frame combined with a 120mm fork is definately worth considering.

I have an Anthem X2 with the 100mm forks and after trying an X3 with 120mm forks on it I’ve started saving for an ebay purchase in time for next summer. Tried it over some natural stuff in the Clwyds and it was simply flawless.

Alex

I have a ST4 and my riding pal has an Anthem X. His is X-L and lighter we think than my 18in ST4. The ST4 is slacker, has a bit more travel, and probably a bit easier to handle on the really rough stuff.

The X changes direction in some kind of fourth dimension tho. Reckon I’d need an eye/reaction upgrade for me to get the most from it. Both are well built and have a pretty wide range of terrain they are great fun to ride on.

I love my ST4 (it’s the newer one, I liked the old one as well until it broke but the new one is a bit slacker, a lot stiffer and rides more like a little DH bike if you’re feeling brave) and I rarely ride any of my other bikes now.

Super 4 no idea.. but both the X and ST4 are fine bikes that’ll put a huge smile on your face. X is a bit racier, bit lighter, climbs like a stabbed goat, ST4 is a bit more GRR, awesome in singletrack but not as efficient.

Shall I post a gratuitous ST4 pic? Go on then.

ST 4 built not ridden by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’ve ridden the orange and commy quite a bit.ST4 and meta are a bit lardy (not just static weight)-more akin to shorter travel versions of their bigger siblings and the old st4 was a HOOT.The anthem is more of a tight feeling xc bike with trail manners-especially with a longer fork.

scenetoomuch
    Free Member

The 120 fork seems like a plan, I’m pretty sure I’m not gonna need anything more than 120mm considering the curbs aren’t even that big in this part of the world…
    I had read that they’ve tweeked the ST4 – 68 degree H/A I think and the Super 4 is 69.5 degrees. Then anthem is 71 stock which is the same as my Charge and it’s pretty damn steep. Swapping out for a 120mm would do what to the angles?

Alex

ST4 is 68 and it’s noticeable over the old one. Orange recommend a 120mm fork and it’s perfect with the Reba plugged in. On really steep climbs the front can wander a bit, but it’s worth it going the other way.

I run it with a 70mm stem and 710mm bars which seem to work well.

Rorschach
    Free Member

+20mm on the a-c equates roughly to 1 degree offa the head angle.So 68.5 ish.

scenetoomuch
    Free Member

I’m beginning to like the sound of this…. Does the misus really want Christmas presents?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The orange site has a review of the previous ST4 Vs Commencal super-4. conclusion is that the orange is a trail bike (without some of the heft), the commencal is an XC race bike (but not light enough).

The anthem is lightning quick, but really didn’t like its wheels being forced off the ground when I demo’d one.

If you want light go for the anthem-x.

If you want trail go for the newer stiffer ST-4

Have you considdered a fuel-ex? Just try one out first as they come up very small (I ride 18″ bikes normaly, the 18.5″ was incredibly small).

FactoryPhil

I’ve got a 2010 Anthem X4 that I’ve put some maxle Revelation Air U-turns at 120mm, tubeless wheels and a couple of component changes from new. Before these changes the bike was brilliant on eveything but the descents, it was good but it was a bit of a handfull as the speed and roughness increased. The 120 forks made such a difference, that would be the first thing to consider.
    I’ve no experience of the other bikes you mention but I can fully recommend The Anthem, more capable than you’d think.

Phil

scenetoomuch
    Free Member

So it looks like it’s between the Anthem and the Super 4. Any idea what the weights of the frames are anyone? Also FactoryPhil do you have a photo of your Anthem?

FactoryPhil

From what I remember the frame weighs 4.9lb approx.
    Mine is about 28lb but set up is more trail than xc race atm.
    Now running 3 rings up front and a skinnier tyre in the dryer weather.

Phil

scenetoomuch
    Free Member

Looks good with the stuff you’ve got on it… Upsettingly it’s the same weight as my Duster then.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Interesting thread, I had discounted an anthem X as I decided I wanted something with a bit more travel/trail capability, so to hear they can happily take 120mm forks is making me rethink…

I guess if my new frame doesn’t fit or I don’t get on with it(STW purchase), I’ll be having another look – not least because it’s a 1lb light than the frame I just bought! If this is the case I just hope I haven’t missed my chance with the sale!

scenetoomuch
    Free Member

What did you go for MountainMonkey?

FactoryPhil

STM. I had a Genesis Altitude before the Anthem and it weighed about the same, but the Anthem is more capable everywhere for the same weight so I’d choose it everytime.
    MM. I wouldn’t be worried if your new purchase is only a pound heavier, you won’t notice it when it’s built.
    I do think the right 120mm fork makes the Anthem so much better for only a bit more weight.

Phil

FOG

I have a Super 4 built with XT/Arch wheels and mainly XT kit that weighs 27-28 lbs.It is an excellent all rounder that compares well to other similar F/Sers although I must admit I haven’t ridden an Anthem.
    The down side –it is a Commencal and it is on it’s 2nd frame after a seat tube cracking incident. I am assured that the later frame [it was originally a 2009]supplied under warranty has been beefed up

scenetoomuch
    Free Member

So… if I put a longer fork on the Anthem I could sheer off the head tube, if I get a Commencal it’ll crack in the seat tube…
    A friend did helpfully say “You want a Commencal, don’t they just break?”
    Looking around, Benji did put that the pivot bolts had rounded on the Super4 carbon he tested, sounds like some good quality control going on there. I’m trying to find somewhere round my way that stocks Commencal to give one a try. They do strike me as little more interesting than the Anthem and it’s built around 120 travel.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Commencal Super 4, Orange ST4 or Anthem owners, help. (Bike buying content)’ is closed to new replies.