Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • commencal question
  • fd3chris
    Free Member

Hi all 🙂 I’m seriously considering a second hand meta frame but all I ever read about is how/where they have cracked. Does anyone know what year they didn’t break on? Thanks.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Yes, 2010 model year solved the problems.

Mostly L and XL frames from 2008/9 that broke, but not exclusively. Think this was due to difference in config of top shock mount between S/M and L/XL.

I broke a 2009 L and had it replaced with a 2010 XL. Much better weld quality and increased tube section at the seat tube (you can see that it now tapers to the clamp where it was plain guage previously).
    Yet to read a report of a 2010 failure.
    HTH

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I’ve had a 2008 medium since 2007 and it’s been fantastic, no problems at all so far. I got a bit paranoid and started checking regularly but it’s still good, despite my best efforts to crack it! 😉

passtherizla
    Free Member

what ecky said…

and soooo much fun!

captain-slow
    Free Member

I have the original 2006 Meta 5.20 and I don’t think these early bikes had a problem – vague recollection that manufacturing was moved when they became popular…

fd3chris
    Free Member

I haven’t got the money for a 2010 so I will have to take a chance on an earlier one as I really want to try one.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Why not just try one then, instead of spending alot of money on a frame that will break?

Lifer
    Free Member

Got a 2008 medium, build getting beefier and beefier, do drops (4′-5′), jumps etc on it had no problems. Love it.

Crag
    Free Member

It’s quite a gamble buying a pre-2010 frame IMO.
    Failure rate was quite bad before this. You may be fine but I wouldn’t be parting with my dough on a 2nd hand Commencal frame.

Lifer
    Free Member

Failure rate was quite bad before this

%?

pinkyponk
    Free Member

I went through the same dilema as you, i tried to convince myself that it would be ok and all the probs were exagerated on pre 2010 models, but you have to be realistic. For the company itself to come out and admit there are problems, the re-design, move production etc. Then it is/was a significant problem. If you buy a second hand one and it does crack, it will be pretty much worthless. can you afford it ?
    I held on a bit longer and picked up a complete new 2010 meta 55 for £1200. Its a superb bike and i love it.

MRanger156
    Free Member

I had a 2007 (medium) up until 4 weeks ago when it cracked. I don’t think 2007 was a bad year for them and it had done 4 years of riding including the alps twice and UK DH days. The crash also appeared after a hard fall.

They are great bikes, so much fun and an absolute bargain second hand. You do take your chances though.

Mine cracked on the toptube near headtube, mates (2007) cracked on bottom of seattube, another mates (2008) near the shock mounts.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

%?

Shit loads!

MrsToast
    Free Member

T’husband’s got a 2008 XL Commencal Metal 5.5, which has been ridden extensively and yet to crack. In fact over the same time period it’s outlasted his GT Zaskar (cracked), his Ibis Mojo (cracked, replaced, but sadly ultimately too short), his Specialized Pitch… and probably some others. I lose track, I know he’s making puppy dog eyes at Orange 5s now they’ve started doing bigger frames…

He does love his Meta though, such a shame that Commencal managed to bugger up their reputation so badly.

bellerophon
    Free Member

I had a 2007 meta4 for a couple of years and no problems, geometry was spot on, possibly the best full sus I’ve had, although the 2004 kona coiler might just edge it, not sure…

JohnnyPanic

The crash also appeared after a hard fall.

Usually happens the other way round 🙂
    Don’t get a 2009. 2008 models can also crack, though not as bad as the ’09 models.
    Someone I know cracked a 5.5 2009 L, then cracked the warranty replacement for that, then cracked the Meta 6 warranty replacement for that (you know who you are).

100mphplus
    Free Member

I’ve had 3 pre 2010 Commencal’s and all have been fine. )

Have you checked out Merlin Cycles and Real Cycles they have been off loading 2011 Commies at very silly prices!
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/Bikes/Mountain+Bikes/Commencal+Bikes/Commencal+Boxed+Bike+Sale_COMMENCAL-SALE.htm
    http://www.realcycles.com/brands/commencal_bikes.php

fd3chris
    Free Member

Thanks for all your help it seems to be a gamble which I can’t afford to take, ( I’ve even been looking into aluminium welding just in case) but maybe I will save a bit for a later frame.

wozza180
    Free Member

There has been no problem with the 2010 frames, check out commencal owners club for every thing commie.i dont think commencal could suffer another fault like they did in 2009,o and did i mention ive got a very nice one for sale 😀

Jeffus
    Free Member

I have a 2008 medium frame for sale , bought it new for my daughter to go to France she fell of and won’t get back on , sat in the work shop for 3 years, I’ve ridden it a hand full of times really nice bike, original forks were terrible bombers , changed them for a Pike 454 and replaced the wheels to run 20mm up front and the rear is converted to 12mm axle, so it handles like a dream in its current build.

fd3chris
    Free Member

HI Jeffus email me with a price if you could? Thanks. Sorry Wozza yours will be out of my price range for now, am actually in the middle of a house move so pretty stretched !!

Jeffus
    Free Member

fd3chris YGM 😀

juan
    Free Member

Shit loads!

A bit like your IQ then.
    2010 onwards, no problem. Up to 2008 no problem as well. As for 2009 get the longer seatpost you can have it will help a lot.

Paul-B

They’re great bikes, mines just died :o( it had a great innings though. It was a 2008, crack formed round the top tube at the head tube gusset.

To be honest I’m proper gutted about it 🙁

My advice, steer clear of 09’s especially as they’re 2nd hand. Too risky as you’ve got no warranty to fall back on.

philipdayton
    Free Member

Hi, Please be gentle…I’m new round here

GREAT! I’ll be the muppet who’s just podded out for a second hand medium 09 Meta 5.5.3 from fleabay…..
    Looks mint, advertised as near perfect, great price for the spec.
    This is my first venture into full sus bikes. My daily ride is a Gary Fisher Hybrid/Road bike and have been after some bouncy fun for ages and figured second hand was the wasy to go as i couldnt justify (or get past the FD) a new one.

Here’s hoping i got a good one!

Any reccomendations on prevention (someone said seat post height?) apart from riding like an old git of course…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2008 with PUSHED shock and Maxle rear end… for sale…

wwaswas

I’d look at getting a replacement gear hanger from Real Cycles – apparently they’re becoming more tricky to get hold of now.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Any reccomendations on prevention (someone said seat post height?) apart from riding like an old git of course…

A lot of the problems on the 2009 were where the top tube and the seat tube join. They were not that strong in that area and this was not helped when riders ran a lot of seatpost out of the frame. You can lower the risk of it breaking by getting the longest seat post you can and making sure there is plenty in the frame. This will lower the stresses on the weld.

MRanger156
    Free Member

I have about 4 mech hangers for 2007, 2008 and 2009 Metas if anyone wants one?

£8 posted, £5 posted for one that been fitted. Not sure if them all come with bolts.

matthewrangeleyATgmailDOTcom

jasonborne
    Free Member

Older frames caused cracking problem but Commencal has updated the geometry and used new tubesets on latest models. the frame has stiffened linkage piece near the contact system suspension. No need to worry about, make sure you buy 2009, 2010 or 2011 model frames.

Mister-P
    Free Member

2009 was the problem year Jasonborne. 2010 onwards were fine.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

2009 was the problem year Jasonborne. 2010 onwards were fine.

Mister P is correct.

Anyone interested in a 2010 XL? Just testing the water, might consider selling.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I do know a little about these things 😉

stcolin
    Free Member

Chris, give Steve at Real Cycles a call. Don’t think he is the Commy rep here in NI anymore, but he has old stock at good prices. Worth a call. I had the 2009 problem, crack infront of the seat tube weld. Now have a 2010 frame, almost 1 year with no issues.

HTH

Colin

stcolin
    Free Member

make sure you buy 2009

Now, why would you do that considering the issues were 2009 frames?

harrybel
    Free Member

And to add another tale: I had my Super 4 crack recently. Guess what? Yep, a 2009 frame.

And it didn’t just crack, no no sir, no hairlines for me – the chainstay sheared straight through! 😯

edrock
    Free Member

And another – had a 2009 Super 4 that developed the hairline crack at top tube/seat tube join – got a 2010 frame on warranty. Seemed much better made. Out in the Brecons at the weekend and the chain stay sheared right through…. Fingers crossed on a new swing arm under warranty. Shame – lovely bike to ride

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘commencal question’ is closed to new replies.