Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Commencal Meta AM decisions
  • svalgis
    Free Member

Would you rather buy a 2013 Meta AM4, a 2013 Meta AM3 or a 2012 Meta AM frameset? Is the blingy parts on the frame set really worth the same money as the complete, in my eyes quite decent, builds? I’d build it up with parts from my current bike so I’d be able to complete it without throwing more money at it, but it would mean one rideable bike instead of two in the garage for the conceivable future. I already have a Reverb and a cockpit that I like so the question is if the suspension is that much better than on the 2013 builds?

rockohardpack
    Free Member

Go with the 2013 complete. Whichever color you like.

I just got a 2014 Meta SX frame.

iain1775
    Free Member

Shock on the 2012 factory frame is better than the basic full build and a different tune
    Not certain about the 2013 models but the shock on the 2012 full builds (below the AM1 model) where awful and not suited to the frame at all, blew through the travel, when I rode a 2012 AM2 it was like chalk and cheese from my 2012 factory frame set
    (Although it would still benefit from a volume reducer according to Mojo)
    I would hope they took the criticism on board for 2013 though and sorted it
    The 2012 is far nicer than the horrible fluoro 2013 colours

rockohardpack
    Free Member

How tall are you, and what size are you considering?

marky29er
    Free Member

None of them, the wheels are too small.
    Speaking from experience I bought the meta am1 and just didn’t like riding it. I sold it and replaced it with the am1 29, a much better bike.

svalgis
    Free Member

How tall are you, and what size are you considering?

I’m 5’10 with quite long legs (85cm) and short torso and am looking at medium – it’s comparable to most other frames I’ve owned that has fitted me well. I am a little worried that I won’t get enough seat post insertion though, especially as Commie themselves recommend a maximum inseam of 81cm for the medium. Then again I’m pretty confident a large would be too big.

I’m also torn between these, a Mega TR or potentially a Spitfire. I feel the Meta’s might be too much bike for my needs.

Scamper
    Free Member

5ft 8 and ride a medium 2013. Desperately wanted the 2012 colour, but they were out of medium – considered the frameset and then sell on the reverb, forks etc. where in the country, op?

Flippinkipper
    Free Member

I am 5’10” and test rode the large and medium then bought the large. I had to have too much post out in the medium, but love the fit of the large.

I would budget for replacing the tyres, I also replaced the forks after six months with some x fusion slants.

The rear shock was blowing through the travel with a high volume air sleeve on it, I improved this massively by adding a shim cut from a milk bottle. This is a five minute job.

Bike is quite heavy but goes up hill fine and feels very solid and stable downhill.

The yellow on the AM4 is also much brighter than shown on the Commencal website, which makes me happy 🙂

rockohardpack
    Free Member

Im 6’2″, and I just ordered a Large 2014 SX frameset… The SM is half an inch shorter than the AM too. For what I need it for, I think it will be perfect tho. I have a XL Giant Reign set up for XC/Trail, and a L Glory for DH, both have a 25″ top tube, and they’re a tad big. Its great on the glory, Its super stable. But I needed a bike to fit right in between, and feel just right in the air.. Its replacing a Scott Voltage FR, and its much larger than that.

swanny853

At 5’10” I went large on the 29 and would have for the 26 too. I have the 2013, mate has the 2012 and we both think the new shock is better. So much so he’s buying one to replace his

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Commencal Meta AM decisions’ is closed to new replies.