Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Commencal Meta 5 sizing question
  • ChrisS
    Free Member

Having been seduced by the offers Merlin are going on the commencal meta 5, I took a quick look at the geometry sheet on commencal’s website in a (purely hypothetical – honest) attempt to work out what size would fit me. As far as I can see the large is roughly a 19″ with a 23.3″ effective top tube, which seems rather short in comparison to my existing bikes. Can anyone confirm the effective top tube length really is that short?

Ta.

dr_death
    Free Member

Ask paulosoxo on here, he’s got one….

retro83
    Free Member

Dunno, but I’m 5 11 and ride a medium. The large felt a little too big.

ChrisS
    Free Member

Too big as in too tall or too long?

iamtheresurrection

I’m 5’11” and felt too cramped on a medium (tried it for a year, the feeling never went away), just to confuse things (I was running it with a 100mm stem and layback post, which was killing the handling). The med top tube is only 22.5 horizontally, but the slack seat angle does increase it’s effective length as the post goes up quite dramatically.

I’ve just bought an 09 large. I need to get the position right but first impressions are that it’s the better size for me – although I don’t have much nut clearance over the top tube.

Finally, the 09 large used a 31.6 seatpost, versus 27.2 on a medium. Joplin here I come (didn’t like the idea of a 27.2 Joplin, when it finally arrives, plus it doesn’t have much layback at all)…

gamo
    Free Member

my brother is 6’3″ and has a large, comes with a 90mm stem and doesn’t
    seem short (im also 6’3″ and from the couple of shots i’ve had it seems comfy).

retro83
    Free Member

Too big as in too tall or too long?

Not sure, just didn’t feel ‘right’ if you know what I mean 🙂 I think that 5 11 is on the border for med/large so it’s largely down to how long your torso is compared to your legs & obviously personal taste 8)

Certainly worth trying before you buy if possible. How tall are you btw?

thomthumb
    Free Member

i am 5’11” and the medium is too small for me. I have a large, and as iamthereserrection says there isn’t much top tube clearence. If like me you are border line get a trial first.

I think that 5 11 is on the border for med/large

spot on. I always have this trouble with bike sizing.

where you based, you could always get a ride on one from here i’m sure.

ChrisS
    Free Member

I’m 6 1 so I’m pretty sure a large would be the one to go for. I just thought the eff tt looked a bit short, I didn’t want it too feel cramped.

Teapot
    Free Member

Tried a large today, perfect for me a 6′ 1″.

catshoe
    Free Member

they are short, I think that’s just the way they are. 09 med is only about as long as a Spesh Enduro in Sml, but they are different bikes.

ChrisS
    Free Member

Hmmm, think I’m going off the idea, seen a few indifferent reviews and I’m not too keen on short top tubes.

Ho hum.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Commencal Meta 5 sizing question’ is closed to new replies.