Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Commencal frame: FAIL (photos)
  • no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I've been happily riding my Commencal Supernormal XC hardtail since I got it 2nd hand in Feb.. Unfortunately, I've just noticed this hairline crack in the paint, beside one of headtube welds (underneath the downtube):

Here's a close-up:

The crack extends about a mm past the penny and is on a gusseted section of the downtube.

Do I keep an eye on it and carry on riding for a bit – albeit delicately?

..Bin the frame and take up another hobby?

..Given I know the guy I bought it off, bought it new last Oct, can I try to see if I can submit a warranty claim somehow with Madison, or the original Commencal dealer?

Your tips, experience and suggestions are all welcomed! 😀

mikey74
    Free Member

Sure it isn't just a crack in the paint? It may sound harsh, but scrape the paint off locally and see if it continues into the frame itself. You can always use some touch-up paint afterwards.

Swalsey
    Free Member

I'd be tempted to try for warranty and maybe ask the seller for help?

The big advantage of buying a fame with a lifetime of the original owner warranty from a friend is that when it breaks he can forget that he sold it. 😉

nmdbase
    Free Member

Seems that Commencal crack very often 🙁

rOcKeTdOg

advertising that you are going to try and con the warranty on here might not be a good idea, hope commencal aren't reading this too

Toasty

Looks like the soft white paint cracking to me, I'd definitely have a look underneath.

Good point rocketdog.
    I've mentioned before on this forum that I broke two frames in two months, but I never mentioned what those frames were. 😉

However, if it's a known problem with Commencal, he'll probably get away with it if they're getting lots of frames returned.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Commencal.

AKA Commonfail.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Commencal frame: FAIL (photos)’ is closed to new replies.