Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Commencal Advice Please
  • Coyote
    Free Member

So, based on this post I am thinking that the Commencal Max Max could be the bike to go for.

Has anyone got any experience of these?

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

ok i have worked on lots of commencal bikes now. they look good but in my experience they dont cut the mustard. the commencal parts dont seem to be of a very high standard. we have seen lots of problems with the hubs and the replacement parts from madison seem to be very slim on the ground. i would stay well clear. look at dmr identity or even giant. good luck choosing.
    joe x

dano
    Free Member

i wouldn't do one with yours!

stay well clear of any commencal's til they sort their QC on the welds… they teld to crack…

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I don't think they have had any isssues with the hardtails to be honest.

For the money, the Maxmax is good. Yes, the parts aren't amazing but they can slowly be upgraded.

I'd look at the 09- a bit more money, but a front disch hub and rigids. The forks on the 08 will be garbage.

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

take a look at the disc break mount on the ones with the horizontal drop outs. its a joke.

web_toed_marsdener
    Free Member

Where did you last see a cracked MaxMax?

steveh

I've got a mad max jump bike and for what it cost me it's great. No issues with any of the bits in 2 years. I did change the forks but apart from that it's still stock.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I'd also ask on the Commencal Owners forum- a few of the mods own them, and you'll get some other owners giving you opinions.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I understand the 2010 bikes are being made in a different factory,Looking into the cracking frame issue it was due to the heating or cooling processes when the frames are welded,rather than any fault with the welding itself.

In imho the frames were simply being made to quickly!

If its 2010 it should,hopefully,be ok 😉

web_toed_marsdener
    Free Member

I understand the 2010 bikes are being made in a different factory,Looking into the cracking frame issue it was due to the heating or cooling processes when the frames are welded,rather than any fault with the welding itself.

Out of interest, who told you this?

nasher
    Free Member

I have seen many commencals break, a friend of mine is sponsored by them and is forever sending frames back.

Then again my Lapierre Spicy has broken and i know of a couple of Trek Remedys and the Spesh Enduro breaking.

to be honest these AM do it all machines are too light, its like being back in the 90's again!!!

thomasraelburke
    Free Member

whilst not a max max i built up my own commencal absolute cromo frame and it was a beast. a rock hard beast! the frame was solid, it would take a huge amount of load and abuse to crack the frame or welds?? more than i could give it. to label commencals as weak or to break easy is the complete opposite to my experience of them. also had a meta.

genesis
    Free Member

I got one, love it. Upgraded with a set of Society forks and some Hayes Stroker Trails. Its totally bombproof, waaay better than their fs offerings. Cost less than 400quid to build!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Commencal Advice Please’ is closed to new replies.