Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Command Post upping Seat Post Clamp Height
  • grannyjone
    Free Member

My Command Post when returning to normal position comes up fast with a lot of force, enough force to increase the Seat Post height in the clamp. This makes it too high for normal height. Does anyone know how to prevent this ? I’ve tried tightening the clamp, lowering air pressure also doesn’t work as if the air pressure is too low the Command Post eventually has problems returning to full height.

nickjb
    Free Member

Maybe it needs a light service. Mine gets a little sticky after a while. Unscrew the collar, clean and grease, then it’ll rise happily without too much pressure

grannyjone
    Free Member

It’s brand new and returns extremely quick

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

When you raise the post, hover just over it and catch it with your bum. You can then guide it up to the higher positions without it slamming against the end stop. Mechanical sympathy is key here.

PolisherMan

Just use your @rse as a damper…that’s what I do. Always worry about damaging it if I don’t…! 😉

grannyjone
    Free Member

I think I’ve stopped it coming up to high by a combination of running the air pressure a bit lower than the recommended setting and tightening the quick release seat post clamp so tight that it took a lot of force to get it that tight.

It returns extremely fast on Recommended air pressure. So fast that it lifts the rear wheel off the ground when it comes up!

Can over-tightening the QR by hand cause damage to a carbon frame ?

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Are you deliberately ignoring the advice from PolisherMan and myself then..? 🙄

onehundredthidiot

Carbon paste? Must be some force to bang it up when your sitting on it and riding bumps don’t shift it down. Does sound like there’s a lot of pressure in there.

PolisherMan

Seems he is!

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Can over-tightening the QR by hand cause damage to a carbon frame ?

Probably, the carbon will only take so much pressure before you start to damage it, it’ll also damage the QR and the post.

To be honest i’m not surprised you have Horrendous Mountain Bike Maintenance Costs.

pictonroad

Tighten the clamp, force is mass x velocity. The mass of a seat and post clamp should not exceed the clamping force of a seat collar or we wouldn’t be riding round on bikes much.

I have a carbon Camber and command post. Carbon paste full length of the post and tighten the bolt with a Standard short hex tool. It should not move.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I can’t believe that it “comes up so fast it lifts the rear wheel off the ground “
    . Just do what has been suggested .

hols2
    Free Member

Bit of iron testicle training (slightly NSFW video) should see you right.

Tracey
    grannyjone
    Free Member

The problem is, you shouldn’t have to use your arse as a damper. That adds an extra thing to worry about. It should just work well on its own

Stevelol
    Free Member

My CP also lifts the rear wheel off the ground if it’s got more than 30psi in (I think max is 25 but check this).

Use a bit of carbon friction paste on the seat collar and tighten it sensibly tight.

grannyjone
    Free Member

Ok thanks I’ll try that

I’m glad I started this thread because I wasn’t sure overtightening the QR could damage the Carbon frame and command post so glad I found that out before doing any more riding with it tightened hard

The rear wheel only lifts off the ground if I operate the dropper post without me on the bike.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Wow you people must have super light bikes 😀 . The quick return is a feature of that post , you can slow it down by reducing the air pressure but most people who have one just hover as has been said . After a few saddle/testicle interface moments it will become second nature . The alternative would be to sell it and get something like a Brand X which have a much more relaxed return speed and can be had relatively cheaply . If you sold the command post you would probably come out of the deal even . Unless of course your LBS charged an excessive amount to swap the posts over .

daern
    Free Member

When you raise the post, hover just over it and catch it with your bum.

Can’t speak for others, but there’s no way this would be a workable solution for me. If I’m pushing hard, then I often return the post to full height when I’m out of the saddle, pounding up the next hill. My weight tends to be well forward and my arse is nowhere near the saddle. I’m sure anyone could train themselves to hover their bum in the right place before they do this, but this misses the point – a seatpost should be able to return to it’s fully extended position even when unloaded without destroying itself or the bike in the process. If it can’t do this, then I would suggest it’s not doing its job right (or, as others have said, is over-pressured, which actually seems more likely).

oikeith

When you check the PSI I think you’re meant to have the post extended, I think if it’s down you actually over pressurise it.

pictonroad

Can’t speak for others, but there’s no way this would be a workable solution for me. If I’m pushing hard, then I often return the post to full height when I’m out of the saddle, pounding up the next hill.

It’s not an issue, this is specific to the OP failing to tighten the seat correctly. The command post is great, really happy with mine and I’ve given it plenty of stick.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Given the force that the post purportedly comes up with, I’d also respectfully suggest that the OP double checks the pressure is correct. Ideally using a different gauge to the one they currently use.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Command Post upping Seat Post Clamp Height’ is closed to new replies.