Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Command Post IRCC Removal
  • grannyjone
    Free Member

I need to send my Command Post IRCC back for a warranty repair or replacement. Removal seems to be very tricky. I can’t work out how to remove it or find out anything on the Internet about removing it that makes any sense to me whatsoever.

Has anyone on here managed to remove one of these Command Posts from the frame and if so how did you do it ?

For info, it is the Internally routed Command Post, which is probably why it’s so tricky.

Simply loosening the seat post clamp doesn’t work, the post still won’t come out of the frame.

steel4real
    Free Member

Two possible reasons come to mind (the command post doesn’t have any unique features so applicable to any seat post)

1. It’s seized in the frame – bad luck – but if you can twist it in the frame, it isn’t so….

2. The internal cable is holding it, need to feed the cable towards the post in order to remove it clear of the frame before you can disconnect the cable. Usually undo the post lever from the bars and then feed the cable as you pull the post out.

Let’s hope it’s not seized.

oikeith

The post is connects to the cable at its base. Undo seat clamp and pull up till you see the mechanism. if you dont have enough slack try feeding some slack of the cable from by the headtube through or removing the lever form the bar and pulling the cable through.

Once you have the mech exposed its a small grub screw which you’ll need an allen key to undo

grannyjone
    Free Member

Well I’ve just had a nightmare with this thing. With a load of struggling and by taking the dropper ‘shifter’ type remote to pieces I managed to get the post out of the frame enough to get to the cable clamp underneath. I got an allen key to undo the grub screw then it fell into the frame! Now I can’t get it out and its rattling around in there.

Then I couldn’t get the cable out. Its going through some sort of screw still that won’t turn with an allen key as the cable is stopping it from turning. I couldn’t get it out so I just cut the cable in the end. Now when I get this Post back I’m in for a hard time re fitting it all and sorting it all out. Or will have to pay yet another mechanics bill. This is the problem with warranties. Its alright saying they might fix or replace the Post but its still at some cost to me with the Postage bills and Mechanics refitting bills plus the stress plus not knowing how long I’ll be stuck without a command post for.

rickon
    Free Member

Or will have to pay yet another mechanics bill.

It sounds like you’re not too used to working on bikes, so it’s worth you spending a bit of money (£30 maybe) for a mechanic to do it for you. It’ll be worth it for not having the stress you’re going through now.

simondbarnes

Couldn’t you have taken it back to the shop you bought it from? It wouldn’t cost you anything in labour then.

orangeboy
    Free Member

A bit late now. But
    Remove remote from handle bar

Feed cable into front of frame while pulling post up

No need to undo the cable from the barrel shape bit , it unclip from the seat post and stays on the cable.

BoardinBob

This is the problem with warranties

If it was under warranty and I wasn’t sure what to do I’d be wheeling the bike into the shop and telling them to sort it

Not sure what spesh you have but on my enduro

Remove remote from handlebars
    Loosen cable guides under the down tube and remove the dropper cable from the Guides
    Loosen the seatpost clamp
    Pull the seat post out gently and feed the cable up if it’s tight
    Small grub screw holds the inner wire at the bottom of the post
    Undo the screw, pull off the cable end and remove the cable from the bottom of the post

orangeboy
    Free Member

You don’t need to undo the the screw that clamps the cable.

Just lift the cable up and unclip the barrel bit from the post.

It’s very very simple to remove the Spesh post.

What’s wrong with it anyway , they are pretty simple things to maintain

grannyjone
    Free Member

If it was under warranty and I wasn’t sure what to do I’d be wheeling the bike into the shop and telling them to sort it

They aren’t local. There aren’t any local dealers near me. I only have a local mechanic. But any parts (etc) has to be ordered and posted.

What’s wrong with it anyway , they are pretty simple things to maintain

It wouldn’t return to full height

It sounds like you’re not too used to working on bikes, so it’s worth you spending a bit of money (£30 maybe) for a mechanic to do it for you

I always end up doing that. It’s costing me £2000 a year on average combined for parts & labour because I can’t do hardly anything. I keep trying to learn but mess up nearly every time.

I hear people all the time telling me that bikes are simple. I don’t get it. It’s insulting my intelligence when people tell me its easy when I think it’s the hardest thing I could ever do. They are tricky at the best of times. Worse than a Nightmare at the worst of times.

jamj1974

Where are you based grannyjone?

grannyjone
    Free Member

Hindley, Wigan

orangeboy
    Free Member

How old is it ?
    Often they just need a re grease or you can get round it by uping the air pressure in the post so it pops up the last part.

This last idea is not strictly right

grannyjone
    Free Member

It’s brand new which is one reason why its going straight back under warranty. Had it since July this year.

grannyjone
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at the Servicing videos and can’t believe none of them even show you how to remove the Post at the beginning of the video. WTF is that all about ? It just says “Remove the Seat post” at the beginning and continues with the Service procedure.

Are these people who do these videos so intelligent that they think taking the seat post out is so easy that anyone can do it easy ?

It really feels like I have to learn what is the equivalent to a Degree in bike maintenance just to be able ride a bike on some trails. The amount of kit and technical knowledge you need to truly enjoy this sport/hobby is really unbelievable.

Another thing which is worrying. I’ve been reading into these service instructions and it mentions a Full Service is needed every 100 hours. Are these hours actually riding time, or time that the Post is moving up and down ? If it’s just riding time, I could easily do that much in 8 weeks

jamj1974

Ok, if you were local to me – I’d have given you a hand. Unfortunately, I’m in Birmingham…

orangeboy
    Free Member

https://media.specialized.com/support/collateral/0000048567.pdf

This is the instruction PDF for fitting the post.

rickon
    Free Member

£2000 a year on average combined for parts & labour

Holy crap. Thats a huge amount of money.

I’d recommend seeing if you can find a local shop that does introduction sessions to working on bikes. If not, see if you can find someone local – Facebook or STW – to get you started.

Working on bikes is easy – once you’ve failed at doing the main tasks, and learned how to fix what you did wrong AND when you’ve bought the right tools for the right jobs.

simondbarnes

There aren’t any local dealers near me

There are 8 Specialized dealers within 15 miles of you.

Vortexracing

I’m in Coppull grannyjone, if you need any help just mail me.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Command Post IRCC Removal’ is closed to new replies.