Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Comletely lost will to ride a bike…
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

This is exactly my problem. Around three years ago I got dumped on the Tarmac after both wheels went out from under me at walking pace, most of my weight landed on my left knee, hit my face on the ground as well, thankfully I was wearing a lid.
    My knee is now painfull pretty much all of the time, the impact left a scar right in the centre of my kneecap, and my fear is exactly the same happening again.
    I’ve lost faith in the bike staying upright, and I’m really afraid of causing greater damage that limits my mobility.
    I’ve considered pads, but without being able to try before I buy, I’ve no idea what would be comfortable after three or four hours of pedalling across country.
    I rode one of the bikes to work all last summer, but that’s about a mile each way, I just couldn’t bring myself to ride further.
    My fear is rational, the bike going down was inexplicable, I was upright, moving slowly on a shared path, it could happen again, and that scares me.

I broke my arm for the 3rd time in 2 years, just over a year ago. i was riding home from work, slowed to walking pace at a give way line and the bike just went (presumably some diesel had leaked from a stopped car).

Wierdly it hasn’t put me off riding but I do now try to ride everything out, I’ve not put a foot/arm out to save myself if things go tit’s up, I’ll try and ride out a skid untill my bars/collarbone hit the dirt, paranoid about putting an arm out!

JCL – Member

MTFU?

I’m going to hell for it, but I laughed.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Get a new bike!!!! 😆

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Get a new bike!!!! 😆

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Kryton57

mountain biking is an extreme sport, we all hurt ourselves from time to time but the buzz of sailing down a trail out weighs it for me. its our leisure time, do what makes you smile, we’re not here long enough to mess around eh

This.

For me I decided to road race last year. I got some things wrong such as training, being distracted away from the events I wanted to be good at and at the end of the year got a bit disapointed. I was convinced MTB was now just an occasional leisure pastime.

I also raced my MTB and discovered that despite not being the best technically – not many of us are – my new found fitness made being on an MTB loads more fun.

Then I got a chest infection in October which to cut a long story short is just about clearing up. I’ve been a bit down, but in the middle of it during a lull I finished in the bunch for the first time.

As I contemplated my “ruined” plan for this year, I’ve realised actually this is just a blip, and thiers lots of opportunity to enjoy myself, race, try new things.

Then last night the switch really flicked. I attended a talk organised by our club from a figure in the Grand Tour scene. The backdrop of the talk was about the “reality” of a pro rider. Not the riding, or the glamour but what happens behind the scenes and in the off season. Do you know what, they are just like us. They get moody, despondant, they have family issues, some are liked, some aren’t. Some love training, some hate it, some ride MTB’s, some don’t.

All of this conspired to want me to get out on my bike – any bike – more than ever. I’m racing my MTB tentatively as I continue to recover on Sunday, and I can’t wait to be on the thing. I have a road crit in two weeks on a course that I know doesn’t suit me – I can’t wait.

We all go through doldrums, upsets and injuries – stick with it, the humble bicycle has so much to offer. And if for you it doean’t, don’t get upset about it, just do something else which makes you happy.

chakaping
    Free Member

I used to love growing vegetables. Completely lost the will to do it now though. I ride my bike more instead.

Have you thought about growing vegetables?

rhid

I cannot be bothered at the moment either. Hopefully the CYB Antifreeze on the weekend will snap me out of it. If not then I will have to get a DH bike to rekindle my love of MTBing. I am hoping its just cos its February and the sun has yet to show its face round here.

I find If I try and plan stuff I never want to do them. If its off the cuff then I am so much better at getting out! I think what I need to do is put the fun back into riding and not ride as I am “training” for this event or that race etc. Training means I am more likely to be found on the sofa eating Jaffa cakes than riding!

Or I could start a carrot patch.

Moses

I’ve tried gardening, don’t like it.

How about calling a mate & going out together, even if only for a quick bimble. Sometimes it needs someone else there to talk you through the lack of enthusiam.

Or even ask on here for a ride companion, meet someone new as well as recovering your mojo?

dereknightrider
    Free Member

I know how you feel I’m recovering a bit from injury and this morning the combination of damp fog and a flat had me giving the bike a bypass, but here’a an idea for you.

Book a course with Jedi.. google UKbikeskills, it’ll be like having a new bike, you’ll not only learn stuff about your technique but the confidence boost a day there gives is priceless.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i rode my bike in torridon at the end of last year it was ace – im struggling to find motivation to ride locally….. however i have found running again.

awkwardkid
    Free Member

Same here tbh! I built a new ride over a year ago which i’ve not touched 😳
    Built a new road bike 4months ago and i’ve been out once.
    I love cycling in all forms. I’ve used my BMX more than anything over the past 2yrs which is polar opposites to my previous riding habits.
    Motivation is lacking big time! The want is there but… ideas???

mrmoofo

Get one of the new 26ers …
    It will change you outlook completely …

bigad40
    Free Member

Do something totally different.
    Learn an instrument.
    Go scuba diving.
    Indoor climbing.
    Soup kitchen for the homeless.
    Last year and the year before I really couldn’t be bothered either i got into swimming.
    Got into regular road rides with a great bunch and now I can’t get enough of it.
    Really hope the trails dry up soon.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Comletely lost will to ride a bike…’ is closed to new replies.