Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Comic Relief
  • colournoise

People are people.

I didn’t watch, but I did donate. Don’t care who it goes to as long as they are in genuine need somewhere.

We (ask of us, everywhere) really need to start letting go of all of these us and them attitudes – it’s holding us all back.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

We (ask of us, everywhere) really need to start letting go of all of these us and them attitudes – it’s holding us all back

Well said.

Global citzens

GrahamS

Did it actually broadcast a film of them dying?

Didn’t watch that much of it so I don’t know. I do know they have shown white English kids dying of cancer before.

I think showing a kid breathing his last on telly was quite extreme and wonder if somehow it was OK as it was African life

It was very extreme. I suspect it has to be to get people’s attention these days, especially when some would rather see the money spent closer to home.

But it did come as a bit of a shock as my 6 year old had said “Oh we’ve been learning about malaria. Can I watch this clip before bed?” She got more of an education than I quite expected before the watershed. Luckily her younger sister didn’t really take it in: “Don’t worry, the doctors will make him better” 😐

jam-bo

we are obviously failing somewhere then.

Yep. But stand with a manifesto of increasing tax to the levels required to care for all and say hello to political oblivion.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Didn’t watch that much of it so I don’t know. I do know they have shown white English kids dying of cancer before.

Yeah, but showing the actual moment of death felt very voyeuristic.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It does beg the question, are these English kids worth our charity?

jekkyl

I think charity funding for 3rd world countries should prioritise contraception and education.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I think charity funding for 3rd world countries should prioritise contraception and education.

How can you educate children who have spend their day collecting clean water?

I would start with clean water, food and mosquito nets.

jekkyl

no, I meant education around contraception for the horny adults that if they didn’t have children in the first place they wouldn’t have to find the non existant resources to feed, cloth and house them.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Great assessment on the impact of climate and geo political influences jekkyl

gobuchul
    Free Member

find the non existant resources to feed, cloth and house them.

There is plenty of resource, more than enough, it’s just in the wrong place.

no, I meant education around contraception for the horny adult

So you seem to think it’s their fault?

jekkyl

yeah, that did read a bit daily mail on reading that back but too many people for too little resource is the problem at the heart of the issue I feel. The issue being starvation and famine, not the war and genocide which comic relief also covers.

gobuchul
    Free Member

The issue being starvation and famine

Which is caused by the war and genocide.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Which is caused by the war and genocide.

Or the climate, or other things. I thought it was the horny adults

El-bent
    Free Member

What I’m seeing is something akin to the UK as little as 100 years ago.

Children born in large numbers, due to them becoming the providers for their parents.

From that time to the present day we have had:

Increasing Industrialization
    Better democratic representation, more people were given the vote
    Better infrastructure, such as housing
    Education
    Pensions
    Health provision

The last three in particular negating the need to “breed” in large numbers, as effectively the Children were the parents pension, replacements for the high child mortality rate, and an education would equal better pay.

I get a little tired of those in the West using its values as a beating stick on countries with very little of the above.

spekkie
    Free Member

The good thing about Being Charitable is that you can choose exactly who you want to help.

From huge “global charities” to the homeless guy selling Big Issue outside your local shops. From Save the Rhinos in Africa to helping out at your local animal shelter.

Time or money, or both or neither. The choice is yours. . . .

BigJohn

An old theatre saying:

If the actors are enjoying themselves, the audience probably isn’t.

I think a lot of the performers were really enjoying themselves. No I didn’t watch.

theotherjonv

Not related to charity but the ‘nothing’s changed in 20 years’

If you haven’t seen this (or his other related talks) some very interesting insights.

cozz
    Free Member

i donated, sitting here thinking of course i won’t notice £20 –

thought the segment and clip from Billy Connelly was quite emotional

senorj

I saw half an hour or so, graham norton really embarrassed a young woman ,trying to get a “sex on an aeroplane “anecdote out of her.
    Her father was in the audience!
    &Billy Connolly ,sadly ,didn’t look in good fettle.

chrismac

Just another company in the aid industry begging for money whilst being opaque about how much they spend on running themselves

MoreCashThanDash

Hans Roslings stuff was really good. His predictions and stuff on declining third world birth rates might change a few opinions on here.

Northwind

jekkyl – Member

no, I meant education around contraception for the horny adults that if they didn’t have children in the first place they wouldn’t have to find the non existant resources to feed, cloth and house them.

Birth rates are almost directly connected to wealth and mortality rates- if your kids are going to grow up in squalor, having one more or less makes little difference but having 6 means that you’re more likely to have one reach adulthood. Of course it’s ****ed! It’s terrible. But having less kids doesn’t make it less ****ed.

Ed Sheeran’s a good egg. So is Andrew Lincoln. That joke’s better than anything in Russell Brand’s bit.

theotherjonv

Hans Roslings stuff was really good. His predictions and stuff on declining third world birth rates might change a few opinions on here.

That was my takeaway; things are changing, now’s not the time for the ‘first’ world to give up supporting the third world but that time (of self sufficiency) might not be as far away as it seems at times.

aracer
    Free Member

I suspect the trouble is that they expect to get paid if they’re not enjoying themselves!

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Comic Relief’ is closed to new replies.