Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Comfy, wear-all-the-time knee pad recommendations please
  • johnhe

I have a pair of 661 pads which I’m very happy with for occasional downhill days. However, after a series of offs over the past few months, I’d like to start wearing knee pads on every ride. With my 661’s, I prefer to pull them down for climbs and back up for descents for comfort.

What are the best light-weight, comfy, all-day pads you guys use? I don’t mind less than DH protection, but I’d like something more than a thin layer of lycra if I do come off and hit a rock.

Northwind

Which 661s do you have?

I have 661 Rages (soft version), totally happy to ride in them all day (solo’d the glentress seven in them and lived in them for weeks in the alps). They can be a wee bit sweaty but that’s the only downside for me. The back of the knee’s very open which is cooler and avoids chafing though sometimes also lets debris get in which can be a bit annoying. TBH every manufacturer has a pad like this though.

Can’t see any point in less protective pads, personally. They’re not much more comfortable, in fact some are sweatier or more restrictive (bulk means you can go soft and flexible, thin generally means they have to be tighter and stiffer) And minimal pads rarely have any side protection at all. You basically give up most of the benefit and gain very little.

egb81
    Free Member

I’ve been eying up a pair of 7 iDP Covert pads. Removable hard knee cup so would be handy for both trail and more hardcore duties. Anyone got a pair?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/7-idp-covert-knee/rp-prod115854

binners

Troy Lee KG5400‘s are so comfy you forget you’ve got them on. No horrible velcro straps are anything. They offer bags of protection too

warns74
    Free Member

Long answer:
    In 26 years Ive never worn pads but bought a set earlier this year for a trip to the Alps, (singletrack riding rather than DH). I ended up buying/trying 661 Rage, Fox Launch, and some Race Face ones. The fox ones seemed light and very comfortable despite being pretty well padded so I kept those and wore them all day for the whole week without even noticing they were on, no rubbing, chaffing etc.

Short answer:
    Fit is everything if you want comfort and everyone is different, so buy a few and try them?

honourablegeorge

Not sure there’s a definitive answer to this. I have the Troy Lee ones above, wear them for DH, like them, but couldn’t pedal in them, as they press down on the kneecap.

I wear Leatt 3DFs for pedalling, and find them good as they sit away from the knee, but others on here have hated them.

With knee/elbow protection, I end up buying loads of different ones, trying them, hating them, and selling them again because of knee pain or arm pump. Other folks just grab any old set and get on with them

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I have 661

but use these all the time arm and leg because there comfy. Yup light not as much protection but I wear it all the time. And thats the important bit. 661 I tend to forget or only use occasionally when its Canada black diamond or say bike park day

http://www.raceface.com/guards/arms/charge-arm/

nickc

The only real answer to this is to try on as many as you can really, what some people find really comfy (those troy lee ones up there) irritate my knee, but 661 have always fitted me nicely

honourablegeorge

Pawsy_Bear – Member

Yup light not as much protection

I wear the same ones somethings -they offer no protection against crashes, they keep the mud and brambles off, but that’s it.

benp1

I asked this question recently and ended up with some Dainese Trail Skins

I’ve done 2 bikepacking trips with them, which were very pedally. a 1 night trip in Wales and a night trip in the Lakes

I was wearing them for the knee warmer benefit as much as anything else

lucky7500

+1 for what Nothwind says above. I have the 661 Rage (hard version) which I happily wear all day, also including soloing the GT7, with no problems.

Troy Lee KG5400’s are so comfy you forget you’ve got them on. No horrible velcro straps are anything.

I also have a pair of these but find that the lack of velcro straps means that they move around a lot. In particular the top moves away from my knee on every pedal stroke which leads to rubbing and endless adjusting. As always, this probably just shows that individual fit is really the most important feature.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I have the TLD 5400’s too they are great pads really comfy, don’t slide down during pedaling etc.

I did have one unfortunate incident recently where i came in hot to a berm but lent over before the wheel was fully in, the wheel went over the top and i hit the deck, as i was going so fast i continued to slide, as i was sliding the pads pulled down and left me with some decent grazes that have only just scabbed over nearly 10days later but i’m going to forgive them that as i was pushing my luck that day.

rossburton
    Free Member

I’m really liking my Endura Singletrack knee pads. Wrap-around velcro so you can get them on and off without taking shoes off, and comfy enough that I’ve worn them constantly on multi-day trips. Handily they just about fit under the Endura 3/4 trousers too.

markoc1984

CRC have the 661 Rage Knees for £25 in their Black Friday Sale:

CRC 661 Rage Knee Guards

Anyone with any experience with them?

Northwind

Ooh, cheers- I’ll get some more and replace my scabbiest old pair of kyle straits.

I had those 5400s but I reckon fit’s really important, they moved around on me all the time and rubbed quite a bit. Didn’t trust them to do the job really (had the arms as well, they were just orrible, pressure point central)

Tracey

We use the G Form ones, cant tell they are on till you fall off and then they work.

prezet
    Free Member

Fox Enduro pads – enough to take the sting out of a trail crash (wouldn’t use them for DH), and comfy enough for all day use. Great to keep the knees warm over winter too.

mildbore

Agree that fit is everything, I use Fox Launch, as much for the support when pushing cos I got old dodgy knees. Comfy, wear all day but needed a medium to get a decent fit, usually I’m a large

andywoodall
    Free Member

I use the Fox Launch, have done 50 mile rides in them no problem, although I have a friend who tried them and hated them so definitely as with all pads try before you buy as best you can.

The protection is certainly on the light side, but for general trail offs its useful level of protection. Not going to stop broken bones but then, as said above, you can’t have daily long use and high levels of protection.

SimonR

These are my current favourites:
    http://www.endurasport.com/products/?ProductID=162

Light and flexible enough to pedal all day in. The straps are very secure and can be adjusted to get a really good fit.

vincienup
    Free Member

My POC vpd 2.0 knees are comfy for all day and stay put on crashing.

My old 661 Rage knees were OK until the straps stretched from age.

ceepers

I wear knee pads 90% of the time. Personally I’ve always felt a hard cap is more reassuring than a soft pad.

I’ve got two pairs. The nukeproof ones which are comfy to pedal in for 3 plus hours and offer pretty much Dh levels of protection but they are really hot in summer.

So I bought some troy lee 5400 based on the reviews and others experience. With no straps the sizing is critical. The mediums were too baggy. The smalls stay up well and are comfy and cool to pedal in, BUT the actual coverage of the knee with padding is pretty minimalist, it covers the front of the knee and not much else. I’ve had a couple of offs where they have stayed up but I’ve still bruised the unprotected side of the boney bit of my knee. That area is well covered by the nukeproofs.

Both have stood up to regular use and washing after every ride well.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Comfy, wear-all-the-time knee pad recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.