Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • comfy saddles……..whats your choice?
  • woody2000

Tony – I’ve got an SQLab 610 doing nowt if you want to give it a whirl? Only 140mm wide, but nice and long at about 295mm. I didn’t get on with it as it felt too wide for me, but the padding is good. You’re welcome to it if you want to give it a go.

ton

woody2000, thanks for the offer mate, much appreciated. I have a 178mm wide leather saddle winging it’s way to me. I will wait for it to land.
    cheers

hairylegs
    Free Member

Surprised there’s only been one mention of a saddle fitting. Always thought it was a bit of a dumb-arsed OTT idea until I bought a new saddle from my LBS which was properly fitted.

No more numb-nuts or saddle sores!! 🙂

RustySpanner

I’m ok on road bikes.
    B17 if upright, B17 Narrow or Rolls if racy.

Struggle with MTB’s, Spoons OK but not great, Bel Air probably the best.

Need to go for a fitting, tbh.

pictonroad

Which Cube saddle, I’ve got a cube branded saddle here I keep meaning to stick on the classifieds.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Charge/Fabric saddles are narrow.

Really? I always thought they were quite wide and I’m no skinny racing snake! i think the Spoon and Knife saddles are awful things.

I use an SDG I or Ti Fly on my bikes.

ninfan
    Free Member

Spa cycles Nidd?

IMO they are a more sturdy leather than Brooks

duir
    Free Member

Do the latest Charge/Fabric scoops make that horrendous creaking/cracking noise? Both of my scoops do but then again most mtb saddles either fall apart, cripple you or creak. At least the scoop is comfortable and stays in one piece.

gummikuh

I have an ergon SMC3 it comes in different widths, might be worth a look? its really comfy, all day rides and it has not made itself felt. Buy from ze Germans.
    You are welcome to jump on my bike if your local.
    I am still trying to break in a brooks swift, had the bike nearly a year, that is grim.
    But my road bikes use a selle SLR in leather and these are not great.

roverpig

Do the latest Charge/Fabric scoops make that horrendous creaking/cracking noise? Both of my scoops do but then again most mtb saddles either fall apart, cripple you or creak. At least the scoop is comfortable and stays in one piece.

Don’t know, but I’ve just given up on my Scoop and ordered another spoon for the Solaris. Shame as I found the scoop pretty comfy, but the creaking drove me nuts.

Yak

No creaks from my Fabric Scoop. Seems well made – very clean looking with no stitching anywhere. Have you tried some oil into the rails/ base sockets?

mindmap3
    Free Member

Both of the Charge Knife’s that I had did the same too. Not impressed given the price.

roverpig

No creaks from my Fabric Scoop. Seems well made – very clean looking with no stitching anywhere. Have you tried some oil into the rails/ base sockets?

Oil, copper-slip, general grease, leaving it upside down overnight; tried the lot, but the damn thing still creaks like crazy. I’m not giving up on it totally though. I’ll give it a good clean and have a play with it once it’s off the bike. But the Spoon suits me pretty well too and at less than <£20 it was worth it to have something while I try to resurrect the Scoop.

mick_r

Another ISM (claw hammer!) saddle user here.

Using the breakaway model (one of the more padded ones) for mtb / commuting. Wouldn’t go back to using a regular saddle – they are just so different. Lumpy bits that needed surgery to fix (before ISM) have now repaired of their own accord – probably because I’m not sat on them anymore!

Demo saddles were available from Pedal Pedal. Takes a few rides to get used to sitting on different areas.

callous
    Free Member

SDG Bel-air for me – comfy from day one.

Sundayjumper

Spesh Toupes on both my bikes, but I have a weird arse 🙂 Years of road bikes when younger have moulded me to fit well on narrow, hard saddles.

Pretty much every ride I go on, someone will mention that it looks uncomfortable.

<shrug>

ratadog

Lots of suggestions on previous thread here

Bel Air and anything from Charge do not meet the width test. Ergon SM3 has hard padding and a definite sweet spot, find it and it is very comfortable, lose it and it is excruciating. I found I averaged roughly 25% of any ride in the sweet spot so it followed the bel airs onto ebay. Spec Henge gets rave reviews but I think they were for the mark1, current one I found fairly short on padding and after an hour was like sitting on plywood.

Wide WTB Rocket V seems the best for me. Various options for price and padding as well as width. For armchair comfort on the 29+ rigid I have a Terry Figura Max Gel bought from Rose.

I looked at the Brooks Cambium but decided they might have the capacity to be seriously painful. Thanks for doing the experiment Ton.

duir
    Free Member

I also tried the greasing, cleaning and oiling etc of the Charge Scoop but nothing worked. The design moves around on the rails and I think thats what makes the noise. Pity as otherwise very good.

SDG Belair most comfortable for me, pity they fall apart so quickly.

Haven’t tried anything from WTB for over 12 years, maybe give them a go next.

unovolo
    Free Member

I find Selle Italia Turbos comfy for me, not the lightest out there but comfort takes priority over that(its on my roadie which is light enough anyway)
    Just got a Selle Regale to try on my MTB as it seems a similar shape but is lighter and was cheap in the On one xmas sale.

Spud

SDG Bel-Air on the MTBs that will be replaced with Prologo Scratch as they’re falling apart. The Prologo does me very nicely for long days in the saddle on the road and CX.

antares
    Free Member

WTB Volt for me. 150mm wide, 260mm long

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘comfy saddles……..whats your choice?’ is closed to new replies.