Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • comfy flat bar set up?
  • ton

for touring…..what do you use.
    suffering from very painfull wrists and need to try some differant set ups.

irc

My flat bar tourer is set up with bar ends wrapped with a double layer of bar tape. I find I spend 90% of my time there rather than the actual bars. Bars more or less level with saddle. Bars much below saddle height will obviously place more weight on hands/wrists and make problems more likely.

glen815
    Free Member

Ergon grips worked wonders for me. Took a few rides to getter set up and yes they do look odd, but I’m pain free and enjoying the long rides again.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I use flat bars with specialized bg grips and bar ends on my hardtail. It’d make a good touring setup imo.

takisawa2

Couldn’t get on with a fIat bar, but find a low-rise non-oversize carbon monkey bar with Lizardskinz North Shore slip on grips works well. It’s an odd set up, but getting weight off the wrists helped.

gears_suck
    Free Member

Like glen said. Ergon are the beez neez

bikebouy
    Free Member

Get some Roubaix bar tape and double wrap.. Then wrap around the bar ends too.

Don’t go thinking a slammed position, sit up sunshine, head up, look around you, see what others fail to notice.

shandcycles
    Free Member

Ergon grips and swept back bars.

vondally
    Free Member

i did not get on with ergon grips but cane creek bar ends brilliant

tried variety of flats and risers with bar ends settled on

45 mm 10 degree stem with flat bars cane creek bar ends and double wrapped tape

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

have you thought of a trekking bar?
    A whole heap more hand positions than any flat bar

andyh2
    Free Member

Titec version of Jones bars or Mary bars off road as all the moving around keeps weight off hands. Longer non technical rides I quickly suffer if there’s much weight on hands so i have a couple of combinations;

Inbred 29er and bars 004 by andyh22, on Flickr

On an old Galaxy and on a 26″ Inbred;

Inbred 29er and bars 003 by andyh22, on Flickr

Both give plenty of hand positions including upright and comfy or forward (and with the cruiser bars down too) for a change or head wind.

Arguably both give up aesthetic beauty for functional excellence!

jameso

H-bars with cork grips and tape for dirt/road touring here. I like drops but H-bars feel better for all-round riding. Used to get sore wrists with flat/risers after a while but not with these.
    I have a spare set if you wanted to try them, but I would want them back sorry )
    (ps love those inbred bars!)

andyh2
    Free Member

They’re great for dawdling along looking around at the world. Always feel peaceful riding them 🙂

ton

andyh2, the bars on the galaxy, what are they?

and i had a look on your flickr, that is some collection of bikes on there mate….. 8)

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

IMHO the uglier the bars the more comfortable they are.

I’ve settled with the Salsa bend 2 bars with 23deg sweep. But I also like the niner flat tops on my SS MTB.

As for grips, its hard to fault ergon.

The advice on non-slamming your stem is great advice also.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I use ergons or if you want something not quite as big a platform, the spesh grips are good (don’t say anything but I use the girlie ones, which fit me better…)

BBB carbon fibrelight bar ends are comfy, if you can find them.

andyh2
    Free Member

It’s a Humpert Moon Cruiser bar Ton. Practical Cycles have a good range of bars (though I don’t think they have the Moon Cruiser);
    http://www.practicalcycles.com/userimages/procart76.htm

I must admit to a chequered bike history 🙂 Each one intended to be the ONE at the time. Settled down now to a Yuba Cargo, old Galaxy and a couple of 26″ Inbreds, one for commute, one for off road. Though I couldn’t quite resist a 29er Inbred as my current project. I had one of the first sliding dropout ones, not sure why, but I’d forgotten just how much I like them.

ton

andy, i had a original one, then 2 sand coloured ones, now got a teal latest edition.
    trying to morph it into a comfy canal/offroad/touring type thing.

andyh2
    Free Member

I’m tempted to try my Galaxy bar set up on mine.

vorlich
    Free Member

A note on cork grips. Very comfy, but I ruined mine on my first ride when front wheel washed out on ice, slomo comedy off snapped of the end off the grip. Now running Ergons, v comfy and more durable.

andyh2
    Free Member

Forgot to say …. on that Galaxy set up you can put forearm / elbow on grips and hands at front of bar ends for a sort of Tri bar set up.

composite
    Free Member

I use the Salsa Bend 2 on both my bikes now. It’s basically flat; 5 degree up or down but I think feels like a flat bar, with 26 degree back sweep that takes a lot of pressure off your wrists without make thing the handling all twitchy like the Mary Bar. I had been running the Mary upside on my ridgid commuter for a good while but I just didn’t like it off road. Going to experiment with maybe the cane creek rubber bar ends for an alternative position for long bike packing trips.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘comfy flat bar set up?’ is closed to new replies.