Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Comfortable Wellies for 2-3 hour walks – recommendations?
  • Flapjack
    Free Member

Off to the North York Moors in a week for a spot of walking etc, and having experienced the mud there this time last year (coming over the top of my walking boots)I was thinking of purchasing a pair of budget Wellies. I’ve seen that Cotswold’s are selling Dunlop wellington boots for a tenner, does anyone have any recommendation of any inexpensive wellies comfortable enough for 2-3 hour walks, or should I be investing in something more expensive?

Any thoughts/recommendations?

Cheers FJ

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Dunlops Pro’s and farmers feet (ie ones that don’t complain)

Wellies and walking are not good unless you were born into it. After that good socks can help. Boots and gaters area better option or possibly avoid walking through bogs and go somewhere nicer instead.

arcing
    Free Member

I bought a pair of Aigle’s 4 years ago, and they’re some of the most comfortable ‘shoes’ I’ve owned. They’re quite snug round the ankle so they don’t slop about. Loads of grip on them too.

bryan-g-

Hunters or Barbours.

winston_dog
    Free Member

Wellies are shit.

In deep soft mud they just get pulled off your feet.

Boots and gaiters +1

northernmatt

I’ve got some of the £10 Dunlop ones. You need thick socks, the longest I’ve worn them was for about 3 hours walking along the Monsal trail so not exactly taxing terrain and my feet ached after. I wouldn’t want to wear them when hiking.

deviant
    Free Member

I have some of these:

http://www.gardenxl.com/wellies/brands/muck-boots/mens/muck-boot-muckmaster-moss-green-neoprene-wellies

Bought on the advice of my horse riding other half, i was skeptical having always worn walking boots but i’m now a convert.
    They’re warm (toasty warm), waterproof, comfortable etc etc….only drawback is the price at £80 they’re twice what i’m used to paying for Karrimor walking/hiking boots but they keep my jeans dry and clean and they’re so much easier to slip on and off compared to lacing up boots.

I was out for 2-3 hours yesterday with the dogs and Mrs Deviant was on horseback, i even had a little jog in them, they’re flexible (neoprene) and light which is a bonus.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Another vote for muck boots!

Very comfy and warm. Unlike the conventional wellie.

thats_not_my_name
    Free Member

Managed to pick-up a pair of these Hunter boots from TK Maxx recently. I find wellingtons uncomfortable for long walks, but these seem to offer a bit more support and are ideal for wet, muddy winter conditions and won’t need much up keep, which is ideal as I’m out every day with the dog. I also looked at getting a pair of Nokian wellingtons as they seemed to get good reviews but couldn’t find a local stockist to try before buying.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

Le Chameau’s the most expensive but I’ve had them three years and You get what you pay for..

CraigW
    Free Member

I like my Nokian Trimmi wellies (aka Bogtrotters). They are shorter than most wellies, and a bit lighter weight. Comfy for me wearing all day, with a fair bit of walking. Though not very warm (so allow for warm socks).

Pembo
    Free Member

Looking to buy something similar myself. Years ago I had a pair of derri boots which were great so I’ll probably go for the same again.

link

PePPeR

Another vote for muckboots, ace wellies to wear all day, yes they can be a little warm, but that’s how they they are are to be.

My daughters place Red Horse fuels in Warwickshire has them on half price at at the moment…

Lummox

After failing to get on with willies I settled on a pair of high leg leather hunting boots.

Fully waterproof with vibram sole and easy to get on and off. Bit of an investment but 2 years in and very happy

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

That’s interesting PePPeR, I need a new pair as my old Hunters are due a replacement, how do they fair with dog walking in mud?
    Oh & how do they size, big like normal wellies?

Cheers
    Martin.

woody21
    Free Member

Le Chameau or Muck Boots or Grub Boots

Scapegoat

Get a pair of Toggi Wanderers. Well fitted so no slop, grippy sole, plenty of support, neoprene lining, gusseted calf, look great, half the price of Aigle, twice as good as Hunters. I wear mine for whole days walking, no problems. I’m o my second pair in twelve years. Current pair have done 6 or 7 years so far. About 80 quid online.

PePPeR

2Unfit. They size big! and they don’t get sucked off in bogs! 😀
    Hardest wellies to remove I’ve ever had!

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Rich, so if I’m a size 9-9.5 do I order an 8 or stick with a 9?
    Also does your girls place do mail order as I can’t find any muck boots on the website?

Cheers.

PePPeR

You’d find size 9 would be good, I’ll see if they have any left in that size for you tomorrow, although it could be Tuesday before she knows.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Thanks Rich, email me if poss.
    Cheers.

jamesfuller
    Free Member

Fell running shoes and waterproof socks is the way I roll

grahamofredmarley
    Free Member

As much as I love my Aigle’s, wouldn’t want to hill walk in them. Better off with a pair of boots & gators.

CountZero

Muckboots FTW! Mine stay in the car boot for any walking when it’s likely to be boggy, and in the two years I’ve had them they’ve been invaluable. I wear thin socks with neoprene boot socks, basically an ankle height sock, and done anywhere up to eight or nine miles in them. Mine are Trents, and I can’t recommend them highly enough.
    I bought them after seeing a bunch of people on here recommending them, and I got mine from Uttings.
    Boot sockettes here:
    http://www.directshootingsupplies.co.uk/prods/bama-sokkets-insulated-welly-wellington-boot-socks.html

SidewaysTim

Another vote for Muckboots here. Walked 26 miles in them once (we got a bit carried away). Replaced them with Aigles and had blisters within 5 miles. Currently wearing my old Muckboots again even though the sole is coming off. New pair on the way for Xmas hopefully.

epicyclo

Have you considered high Sealskinz socks and Keen sandals. That’s what I use for bogs.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Comfortable Wellies for 2-3 hour walks – recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.