Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • comfiest, least obtrusive knee pads for pedalling ?
  • iainc

as in title, have tried a few over the years and they generally get sold on or returned. I am old school xc, natural stuff, no jumps or big drops, no racing. Just keen on a little bit of bump protection into my 50’s ! I do have a set of Raceface Charge which I like, but they are really just leg warmers !

Looking for something that is comfy for 3 hr rides, with as much climbing as descending

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I have just purchased some IXS flows, after trying on loads of other pads, found these to be super comfy. Did 3 days riding in Wales with them on, and no trouble with them at all. Best is to go in to the shop, be a pain and try on as many as you can.

z1ppy

G-form work well for me, very unintrusive, had a pair for a couple of years and now feel weird not wearing them whilst riding. Not tried anything else to compare though (other than proper DH pads)

bruneep

I think I must’ve ordered every pads that crc had tried them all on and put them all back (free returns) apart from the bliss minimal pads.

Not everyone here likes those pads but they’ve seen me through 2 trips to verbier and 2 twice weekly rides at home.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Bliss minmalists Iain, you’ll get a pair from Dave for 30 quid, I’ve been using them all summer, every ride. Comfy as hell, stay up well too. Not for big rocky rides obviously, but I have Troy lees for that.

You’ll be a size small, as they size up large.

tomhoward

Troy Lee 5450s have been great for me the last few years will replace them if they die.

sillyoldman

Bliss Minimilists.

Bregante

Bliss minimalists are 25.99 at cyclestore at the moment.

crewlie

I used Poc air knee pads for my trip, Iain. Did a fair bit of uphill and had no problem with them, and my knees still work after 3 weeks of falling off, so they must have done some good 🙂

Tracey

Another vote for G Form, don’t even know they are on till you need them and then they just work

iainc

cheers all, lots to have a look at and try. Nobeer – will pop in and see Dave and try some of the bliss ones

km79
    Free Member

Also take a look at the Dainese Trail Skins, these do the job for me.

iainc

Bregante – Member
    Bliss minimalists are 25.99 at cyclestore at the moment.

🙂

Indeed, pair of mediums arrived the other day, and as suggested they are quite large, so small pair came in post today, for a comparison after work tonight. They look ideal, a little more protection that my RaceFace Charge ones yet very light and unobtrusive.

legend
    Free Member

when people are talking about ‘obtrusive’ knee pads are they talking about external dimensions? Have people somehow had pads get in the way that make you want a externally smaller pair? Otherwise just get the ones that fit best?

iainc

what I meant in my OP is pads that I can wear for 3 or 4 hours and not feel them as restrictive on my knee movement. Something that gives me a little added protection over my skin, without me being overly aware of them. I prefer riding up hills to going down them !

Northwind

I have a pair of Gform elbow pads, they’re about as protective as a couple of layers of clothes imo, waste of money as far as I’m concerned. And ironically they’re not even all that comfy- the big “sock” means they’re sweatier than my massive POC elbow pads, they have to be much more enclosing to stay in the right place (which they do, most of the time, but not always).

For what you describe I just wear 661 Rages. They’re bulky but they’re soft and very flexible, so they don’t impede. And because they’re big they can have a big hole in the back of the knee for comfort and venting- more minimal pads tend to be pretty enclosed. They’re a little sweatier where they cover but not drastically. And obviously no compromise on protection or coverage. I wear them for almost all my riding.

chrisdw
    Free Member

^^ This.
    Minimalist pads dont seem to mean easier pedaling.

My Fox Launch pads I bought for downhilling are much comfier and less restrictive than my RaceFace Indy pads. Dont chafe anywhere near as much either.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

POC Air for me.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘comfiest, least obtrusive knee pads for pedalling ?’ is closed to new replies.