Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Comedy moment or breaking the law?
  • instanthit
    Free Member

While in Tescos I said to my two girls(both under 12) shall we get a lottery ticket as I fancy a new bike? We don’t do it very much and I let them do it together, oldest said can I hand it in. Shop assistant said I can’t except it as she is under age, “oh ok, if I give it you and I’m paying can you take it?” No. We did another one, walk back through and because my daughter was still holding the previous slip they wouldn’t serve me. “Can I do another then please”
    “No we are not going to serve you at all”.Me looking dumbstruck said ok thanks and left. ( then took said slip to the corner store) I only persisted as my daughter always wins raffles so she has the golden touch!!
    So bonkers law or hilarious? Hardly teaching my kids to gamble.

Flaperon

Would you risk your job? There’s your answer.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Hilarious! ………So funny they should rename it the National Lollery.

Would have been funnier if you were buying fags or vodka.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Should have put her right… “When i win the lottery.. i’ll buy this place, sack all the staff and burn it to the ground..!!!”

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

They have a point. Just sticking to the rules really.
    Just let your kids play out of sight/at home and everyone’s happy.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-GkwIRbLw8[/video]

You heard it here first, the Lottery is the government’s way of getting rid of the surplus budget. 😉

chewkw
    Free Member

instant hit – Member
    So bonkers law or hilarious?

Bonkers law. i.e. when parent is around …

Shop assistant shows no common sense but then s/he would be fired if s/he is seen as selling the lottery ticket to underage.

instanthit
    Free Member

Wonder how it works when I have beer in the trolley and they are pushing it around then helping to pack at the till?
    My oldest still concerned we have broken the law, she’s a rule player!!

martinhutch

Shop assistant shows no common sense but then s/he would be fired if s/he is seen as selling the lottery ticket to underage.

And, in theory at least, the assistant could be prosecuted.

km79
    Free Member

Hardly teaching my kids to gamble.

Yes you were, now expect a visit from social services.

chewkw
    Free Member

instant hit – Member
    Wonder how it works when I have beer in the trolley and they are pushing it around then helping to pack at the till?

I bet some will argue the law has been broken coz who knows you might be encouraging your kids to down all the beer in the trolley … 😆

My oldest still concerned we have broken the law, she’s a rule player!!

You need to debrief her otherwise you will end up with a daughter that is so rigid with law, she thinks the law is the final. Tell her all laws are man made … shite law is shite, while common sense must prevail.

Tell her that she has no intention to be addicted to buying lottery ticket at her age, but merely having a family moment with her father by handing the lottery ticket to the sales assistant. No law is broken.

martinhutch – Member

And, in theory at least, the assistant could be prosecuted. [/quote] Yes, if the law is applied rigidly to the point of paralysis.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Hardly teaching my kids to gamble.

Of course you are, what do you think playing the lottery is? Just because the odds are overwhelmingly stacked against you doesn’t mean that it’s not gambling.

When I was in my early teens I had a bit of problem with amusement arcades and spending the little money I had, including my dinner money, although not my fag money 🙂

Luckily I grew out of the addictive appeal of gambling and I now look back with incredulity at how I was drawn to it. Others are less lucky.

Any law which protects minors from gambling, including lottery and fruit machines etc., is an excellent one imo.

Obviously all children are different and experience different social environments but the law must be universally applied, you can’t make exceptions whenever and wherever you fancy.

bikebouy
    Free Member

5 pages and your kids can buy the biscuits..

instanthit
    Free Member

You need to debrief her otherwise you will end up with a daughter that is so rigid with law, she thinks the law is the final. Tell her all laws are man made … shite law is shite, while common sense must prevail.

Chewkw- already told her you are only breaking the law if you get caught. Was obviously applying this to when I am running or cycling on “private land”.

Smudger666

Similar thing at Tesco recently, bottle of gin in the basket amongst other things, and a scarf my 17 year old daughter had put in.

As we finished up at the till, she hands me the £7 for the scarf and it was like we’d set off some alarm somewhere. Cue security and a. Manager interrogating me about buying underage alcohol.

If I’d had my wits about me I’d have told them to **** off out of my face but as it happened, I stammered a response about buying her a scarf and after a. Few dodgy looks, made it out of the shop.

Quite unsettling but I can see it from the poor checkout operators POV as it is gross misconduct and sackable.

perchypanther
    Free Member

you are only breaking the law if you get caught.

A comforting last thought for all of my victims

bruneep

bonkers is my son 17 being refused to by this in tesco

Jamie
    Free Member

Acting in a way that doesn’t jeopardise their job? Seems like their common sense glands are working just fine.

As for the Op, just do it online. As in the internet, nobody knows you’re a dog.

oldnpastit

Any law which protects minors from gambling, including lottery and fruit machines etc., is an excellent one imo.

+1

A friend’s son got hooked on gambling, very early twenties, around the time he got married. Destroyed his life; his ex-wife is still putting her life back together, his parents don’t know if he’s even still alive, last they heard he was living homeless on the other side of the planet.

Cougar

Of course you are, what do you think playing the lottery is?

Making a donation to charity?

bonkers is my son 17 being refused to by this in tesco

A few years ago I went down to Tesco’s at some silly hour, about 1am I think, to get some emergency supplies. As my then-girlfriend was on antibiotics at the time, I thought I’d get some alcohol free beer to cheer her up. I knew that they couldn’t sell alcohol after a given time because of licencing laws, but it’s not alcohol, so I should be alright.

To cut a boring story short, I got to the checkout and the cashier woman said, “sorry, can’t sell alcohol”. I pointed out that it wasn’t, and she agreed and scanned it. The till rejected it. I protested. The cashier dragged her supervisor into the fray.

The supervisor told me that, even though it was alcohol-free, there would actually be traces of alcohol in the beer, and that’s why they couldn’t sell it to me. I pointed out the tub of “vodka and chilli” pasta sauce that they’d already processed and offered to go and get a few bottles of shandy down for her to try and scan, to which she replied, “I’ll get the manager for you if you like?”

I declined. I presume it’s just a barcoding quirk – it’s shelved in the ‘beer’ aisle, therefore it comes with all the “check age” nonsense. In which case, there’s nowt that the manager can do about it, so I didn’t see much point. I’m sure he/she has got better things to do at 1am, like counting the sprinkles on the donuts or something.

Both the cashier and the supervisor were very nice about the whole thing, and were pretty much on my side. The whole thing was intriguing for them and for me, and I was of a “hmm, that’s odd” stance rather than an angry customer “that’s just not bloody good enough” mindset. Curious though.

km79
    Free Member

I thought I’d get some alcohol free beer to cheer her up

That’s like pouring more miserable onto miserable.

xora

Lots of people tend to forget shops are covered in CCTV. And from my experience working in a shop they are all there to keep an eye on the staff not the customers. This is why when we are behind the till we cannot bend the rules at all. Some Nazi of a manager is the other end of that CCTV feed.

singlespeedstu

While in Tescos

How many shops were you in?

jimbobo
    Free Member

I remember being 17, smoking a cigarette, not being allowed to buy cigarette branded shirts as I was under 18. But anyway, yeah, there’s always a reason to serve someone, but it takes time and effort to establish, evidence and corroborate. Easiest is to say no and move on.

Cougar

I remember being 17, smoking a cigarette, not being allowed to buy cigarette branded shirts as I was under 18.

I always found it odd that you can have sex at 16 but have to wait two more years before you can legally watch someone else doing it.

km79
    Free Member

You can have sex with a 16 year old but you can’t watch a recording of it.

Trimix
    Free Member

You can legally marry a 12 year old in Mexico !

Lots of laws are wrong.

CountZero

There have, allegedly, been instances of people being refused a lottery ticket just because they had their child with them, which is hardly sensible.
    [/quote]Similar thing at Tesco recently, bottle of gin in the basket amongst other things, and a scarf my 17 year old daughter had put in.

As we finished up at the till, she hands me the £7 for the scarf and it was like we’d set off some alarm somewhere. Cue security and a. Manager interrogating me about buying underage alcohol.

The till receipt should have shown quite clearly which was the gin and which was the scarf, and I’m pretty sure the gin was more expensive than £7!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I always found it odd that you can have sex at 16 but have to wait two more years before you can legally watch someone else doing it.

Do you want 16 year olds to be legally allowed to watch other people having sex? Or do you think that they shouldn’t be legally allowed to have sex until they are 18?

To be fair I find both those options rather odd. .

Drac

Was obviously applying this to when I am running or cycling on “private land”.

That’s not illegal.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I find it odd that you can be prosecuted for what might happen rather than for what actually happens.

squirrelking
    Free Member

A few years ago I went down to Tesco’s at some silly hour, about 1am I think, to get some emergency supplies. As my then-girlfriend was on antibiotics at the time, I thought I’d get some alcohol free beer to cheer her up. I knew that they couldn’t sell alcohol after a given time because of licencing laws, but it’s not alcohol, so I should be alright.

To cut a boring story short, I got to the checkout and the cashier woman said, “sorry, can’t sell alcohol”. I pointed out that it wasn’t, and she agreed and scanned it. The till rejected it. I protested. The cashier dragged her supervisor into the fray.

The supervisor told me that, even though it was alcohol-free, there would actually be traces of alcohol in the beer, and that’s why they couldn’t sell it to me. I pointed out the tub of “vodka and chilli” pasta sauce that they’d already processed and offered to go and get a few bottles of shandy down for her to try and scan, to which she replied, “I’ll get the manager for you if you like?”

I declined. I presume it’s just a barcoding quirk – it’s shelved in the ‘beer’ aisle, therefore it comes with all the “check age” nonsense. In which case, there’s nowt that the manager can do about it, so I didn’t see much point. I’m sure he/she has got better things to do at 1am, like counting the sprinkles on the donuts or something.

Both the cashier and the supervisor were very nice about the whole thing, and were pretty much on my side. The whole thing was intriguing for them and for me, and I was of a “hmm, that’s odd” stance rather than an angry customer “that’s just not bloody good enough” mindset. Curious though.

Had a similar issue last week with some Brewdog Nanny State (again, in Tesco) and getting ID’d by the checkout robot. Turns out that for UK food licensing purposes it’s classed as an alcoholic beverage despite being marked as 0.5% and marketed as alcohol free.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Comedy moment or breaking the law?’ is closed to new replies.